OWNERS WHO SAY "I CAN'T WIN THIS YEAR" AND PUNT BEFORE THE D - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

OWNERS WHO SAY "I CAN'T WIN THIS YEAR" AND PUNT BEFORE THE D

Moderator: Football Moderators

OWNERS WHO SAY "I CAN'T WIN THIS YEAR" AND PUNT BEFORE THE D

Postby Nineball » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:02 am

I play in a keeper league that has been around for 13 years and prides itself on being competitive. One owner, who had guys like Shaun Alexander, Portis, Javon Walker, decided he can't win it this year, so he sold of Shaun Alexander for a deal of future draft picks (none this year). Some owners are appauled that an owner would do that, feeling like in an established, hardcore league owners should play hard every year, every week. That they owe it to the other owners and that it upsets the competitive balance in the league. Also, we have another owner who employs a ping-pong approach. He sells everything one year, to go for it the next. He does it year in year out.

Thoughts on how people feel about owners who quit in the pre-season to load up for next?
Nineball
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: OWNERS WHO SAY "I CAN'T WIN THIS YEAR" AND PUNT BEFORE THE D

Postby maddog60 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:15 am

Is he selling off Portis or Walker too?

The guy is cashing in on an older player he thinks no longer has any real value, or that his perceived value with plummet after this year. There's nothing wrong with that in a keeper.

btw: You can use the Caps Lock button. All caps is considered shouting, and rude.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:41 am

i dont have a problem with it, we have similar issues in the leagues i play in, although no one's ever mailed it in before the season starts :-b but we've had guys give up after 2 weeks
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby onnestabe » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:55 pm

I wouldn't have a problem with that strategy, except that I would be annoyed by how dumb it is.

Every year, there are about 5 guys that come out of nowhere to put up big fantasy numbers. Last year it was Brees, Colston, Gore, etc. Everyone had a chance to draft/trade/pick up these guys and get great value out of them. Even if you have mediocre keepers, one or two of these out-of-nowhere guys would pay off huge for your keeper team. Your keeper roster would have to be made up of a bunch of WW fodder for you not to have a chance to win if you can get lucky with some late round picks and WW pickups.

There is always a debate here in the offseason about how much of FF is skill and how much is luck. I think part of the skill that's involved is putting yourself in a position to be lucky.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby RJ24VC15 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:31 pm

Why does he decide he cant win this year, those are 3 quality players this year.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby skibrett15 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:22 pm

onnestabe wrote:I wouldn't have a problem with that strategy, except that I would be annoyed by how dumb it is.

Every year, there are about 5 guys that come out of nowhere to put up big fantasy numbers. Last year it was Brees, Colston, Gore, etc. Everyone had a chance to draft/trade/pick up these guys and get great value out of them. Even if you have mediocre keepers, one or two of these out-of-nowhere guys would pay off huge for your keeper team. Your keeper roster would have to be made up of a bunch of WW fodder for you not to have a chance to win if you can get lucky with some late round picks and WW pickups.

There is always a debate here in the offseason about how much of FF is skill and how much is luck. I think part of the skill that's involved is putting yourself in a position to be lucky.

Any team can win any year provided you make the right moves. Well said onnestabe.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Metroid » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:35 pm

I had Priest the year he went down and LJ became the man. A buddy in my money keeper league had LJ on his roster and ended up dropping him early in the season before Priest got hurt to fill in for a bye or some crap. I swooped in on LJ and the rest is history. I didn't win that season but I did the following. Oh and the guy who dropped LJ...he also had LT. Can you imagine? 8-o

What does all this mean? Like onnest said, "part of the skill that's involved is putting yourself in a position to be lucky" but also it's nice when other owners put you in that position as well. :-b ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Return to Football Talk