New League Proposal-Fill Roster First! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

New League Proposal-Fill Roster First!

Moderator: Football Moderators

New League Proposal-Fill Roster First!

Postby Decleater » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:39 pm

Was on a day trip with two guys in my league today and, of course, got to talking about FF. Anyhow, one of the guys thought of the idea of having to draft your entire starting lineup first before going on to drafting other players. We start: 1-QB 2-RB 2-WR/TE 1-K 1-D/ST....and 1-Flex Player (QB, RB, or WR/TE). So, the first 8 rounds would have everyone filling their entire starting rosters first, to include the flex spot, then you can move on to fill backups. I have the 9th pick in a 10 team serpentine redraft. See, we'll be going out to the field for a week with a bunch of the guys in a couple weeks and this proposal will be brought up. Seems like those two are dead locked on doing it and you only need a 50% vote to make it pass. I'm on the fence to see what the pro's/con's would be from the rest of the Cafe! Lemme have it! :-D
Decleater
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: New League Proposal-Fill Roster First!

Postby Decleater » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:42 pm

No comments on this aspect of the draft pro/con? Anyone?
Decleater
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:09 am

It's okay I guess if it's what everyone wants to do. Personally, I'm opposed to league rules that stipulate how owners must draft - it kinda takes some of the fun out of the draft if people aren't allowed to use their individual strategies, the less rules the better in my opinion.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby onnestabe » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:43 pm

stomperrob wrote:It's okay I guess if it's what everyone wants to do. Personally, I'm opposed to league rules that stipulate how owners must draft - it kinda takes some of the fun out of the draft if people aren't allowed to use their individual strategies, the less rules the better in my opinion.

Yeah, I suppose it would make for some interesting strategy at the end of the "starters" draft, but I wouldn't be too interested in it personally. My main league had restrictions on how many players you could draft from each position the first year I played in it, but I convinced them that was kinda dumb, and now it's draft any position, anytime. If I remember correctly, it was a standard lineup, no flex, and you had to draft:
2 QB
4 RB
4 WR
2 TE
2 K
2 DST

Obviously, with standard starting requirements, you would prefer to take a maximum of 1 K, 1 TE, and 1 DST, giving you three more picks to use on RBs and WRs. This was my first ever league, and having the restrictions helped new people to draft a fairly balanced roster, and I think that's why they did it. I just hated the idea of watching RBs and WRs fall below their value in the later rounds when I had already filled those positions. What's kinda funny is that there are still some people who stick to these requirements three years later, religiously drafting backup Ks, TEs, and DSTs in the late rounds, even when their starter doesn't have a by until week 7. Much better to plan on picking up a backup in week 6 so you will have the roster spots to capitalize on waiver wire opportunities in the meantime
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Decleater » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:41 pm

Yeah, that same league still requires us to hold 2-K 2-D/ST which I think is kinda dumb, but oh well. Just for bye week crap I guess. Still not sure if it's that great of an idea. Talked to my boss again about it today and he said his son, who's also in the league doesn't want to do it. He's got the 2nd pick and is going with LJ and then wants two QBs back to back with his 2nd and 3rd picks so he can start them both. Yep, we can flex start even a QB!
Decleater
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:33 pm

Decleater wrote:Yeah, that same league still requires us to hold 2-K 2-D/ST which I think is kinda dumb, but oh well. Just for bye week crap I guess. Still not sure if it's that great of an idea. Talked to my boss again about it today and he said his son, who's also in the league doesn't want to do it. He's got the 2nd pick and is going with LJ and then wants two QBs back to back with his 2nd and 3rd picks so he can start them both. Yep, we can flex start even a QB!

Definitely a dumb rule and wasted roster space - why hold onto a spare for up to 10 weeks when you could have someone useful on your team??? Usually you can drop a kicker for an equally good kicker on wiavers - and if you can't find an equally good defence on waiver, you probably have a dud WR you can drop for that week and then drop the defence after and pick up a FA WR.
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Decleater » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:48 pm

No doubt stomp. That's what I've been preaching for years to these guys, but they don't seem to listen. Guess they figure that it's just another way to keep players out on the waiver wire and available. Either way, it's all equal for everyone. Listen to this! We once had a dude in the league that would draft a kicker in the 3-4th round! Only because he figured he'd score the most points for his team! Not only that, but he'd also drop about 20-25 waiver picks into the pot. At $1 a shot, not too shabby....wish he was still in the league. LOL!
Decleater
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby stomperrob » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:28 am

There's always someone in those kinda leagues who grabs a K way too early, lol!
stomperrob

Postby loyallion » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:13 am

Decleater wrote:Seems like those two are dead locked on doing it and you only need a 50% vote to make it pass. I'm on the fence to see what the pro's/con's would be from the rest of the Cafe! Lemme have it! :-D

I personally would vote no. It doesn't allow you (with a superior strategy) to get up on someone else with an inferior purpose. And we all know most leagues have those individuals. Let them learn how to draft wisely instead of getting their team "democratically." ;-)

This will be the year Lions fans have expected
loyallion
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Location: Completely ensconced in fantasy land waiting for the Lions to become a REAL team!!

Postby NY Bills » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:05 pm

I think it's suspect. It seems like having an earlier pick would be an even bigger advantage.

1. Also, the #1 pick overall WILL again get 1st choice of DEF in round 7 cause who in their right mind is gonna take a DEF over another starter.

2. whoever gets the #1 pick overall gets the advantage again of essentially getting the 1st pick of the backups in the 9th round, whereas in a standard draft, those who have later draft picks can steal them earlier.

just some thoughts
NY Bills
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum