Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Postby TheGhost » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:54 pm

So one of the leauges that I play in does an auto-draft on yahoo. Even though I prefer a live draft, this league is established and I enjoy it just the same. Because I don't have any experience with this type of draft, I was wondering if anyone had tips in terms of how to pre-rank my players. Draft position is determined randomly 30 minutes before the draft.

This league has a unique scoring system because receptions are awarded a point (PPR) and QB's get 6 points for TD's. We also use individual defensive players (IDP).

My main question is how can I pre-rank my players that will insure me a great QB, without getting multiple QB's in the first couple of rounds? Because QB's get six points per TD, I have Peyton Manning ranked 3rd or 4th in my rankings. I also have Carson Palmer and Drew Brees in the top 20 in case I miss out on Manning. Does anyone have a system that they use when auto-drafting? Any tips on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
TheGhost
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 930
(Past Year: 21)
Joined: 9 Dec 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Postby dream_017 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:57 pm

TheGhost wrote:So one of the leauges that I play in does an auto-draft on yahoo. Even though I prefer a live draft, this league is established and I enjoy it just the same. Because I don't have any experience with this type of draft, I was wondering if anyone had tips in terms of how to pre-rank my players. Draft position is determined randomly 30 minutes before the draft.

This league has a unique scoring system because receptions are awarded a point (PPR) and QB's get 6 points for TD's. We also use individual defensive players (IDP).

My main question is how can I pre-rank my players that will insure me a great QB, without getting multiple QB's in the first couple of rounds? Because QB's get six points per TD, I have Peyton Manning ranked 3rd or 4th in my rankings. I also have Carson Palmer and Drew Brees in the top 20 in case I miss out on Manning. Does anyone have a system that they use when auto-drafting? Any tips on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

First off, the scoring is not that unique. Even with the 6 points per passing TD, Manning still should not be drafted in teh first round. RBs are still more valuable, as they are in just about all formats ;-D

Also try this
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15305
(Past Year: 59)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Postby TheGhost » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:05 pm

Yeah, you're probably right. I just was told that the league I'm in awards 2 points per reception and one point per carry. I've never heard of a league where if you get a hand-off you get a point. I'm trying to figure out where that puts Westbrook and Bush on my overall rankings. Is Larry Johnson still more valuable with his 350+ carries a year or does Bush and Westbrooks versatility with hand-offs and receptions move them ahead of LJ?
TheGhost
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 930
(Past Year: 21)
Joined: 9 Dec 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Postby mystykoekaki » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:41 pm

If you really don't care too much for a player then don't hesitate to take them off of that list.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3185
Joined: 13 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Postby GiveUp » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:31 pm

A few pointers on yahoo auto draft. Yahoo will fill your active roster 1st, then your bench. i.e. I think Westbrook and Gore fell to me in the 12th/13th round or something because it drafted all the active slots for teams and then the bench slots.

Remove any player that you don't want or think is of poor value/you don't agree with thier ranking. Someone ended up wit DD last year beacause yahoo didn't update thier list despite the fact he was clearly IR.

I tend to try and group tiers of players by position/value. i.e put 3 or 4 rbs/wr/qbs together that you feel are about equal value. Worst case is you end up with 2 from that grouping if you have a swing pick. No worries grouping 3 or 4 qbs together as it will take the best available and then ignore the rest until you hit bench draft rounds. (unless you start 2 qbs)

OH.. and rank some IDP players. Yahoo is TOTALY brain dead with idp rankins. If you don't add some guys to the tail end of your anking list you'll end up with guys that aren't even on teams or IR. Group DL/DBs the same way towards the tail end of your rankings. For me that is usally around position 100 or so. and it will at least grab you some good guys, because it has to take them before it starts to fill your bench.

HTH
GiveUp Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 89
Joined: 22 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Postby TheGhost » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:30 pm

Thanks GiveUp... thats exactly what I was looking for and it definitely altered how I'm going to rank my players. One more question if you can help on this. My my leagues position players are as follows: QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, W/R, W/R, K, D, D, DB, DL

Do know if the flex positions could potentially fill up before the auto-draft fills the regular WR and RB slots?

In other words, would it be possible to rank my players in a way where 4 straight recievers got selected with my first 4 picks? It's not like I want to do that but with 2 WR slots and two W/R slots I'm guessing it's possible.
TheGhost
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 930
(Past Year: 21)
Joined: 9 Dec 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Postby mystykoekaki » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:33 pm

GiveUp wrote: I think Westbrook and Gore fell to me in the 12th/13th round or something.


I don't believe that, how do you know what you know?
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3185
Joined: 13 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Postby TheGhost » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:36 pm

Yeah, he must be thinking of years past or something. Both Gore and Westy are in my top 8 for sure. Ya know, a lot of fantasy players smoke herb so maybe he's high.
TheGhost
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 930
(Past Year: 21)
Joined: 9 Dec 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Postby maddog60 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:37 pm

TheGhost wrote:Thanks GiveUp... thats exactly what I was looking for and it definitely altered how I'm going to rank my players. One more question if you can help on this. My my leagues position players are as follows: QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, W/R, W/R, K, D, D, DB, DL

Do know if the flex positions could potentially fill up before the auto-draft fills the regular WR and RB slots?

In other words, would it be possible to rank my players in a way where 4 straight recievers got selected with my first 4 picks? It's not like I want to do that but with 2 WR slots and two W/R slots I'm guessing it's possible.


With the flex up to 4 RBs, I 'd have at least 40 RBs in my top 50 picks. I'm not exaggerating either. You want as many quality RBs as possible. You want at least 3 in your first 4 rounds. If you wait on that 2nd WR spot, its no problem when you start 3-4 RBs each week.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 9758
Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Postby mystykoekaki » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:38 pm

TheGhost wrote:Yeah, he must be thinking of years past or something. Both Gore and Westy are in my top 8 for sure. Ya know, a lot of fantasy players smoke herb so maybe he's high.


I don't think that was possible, when Westy was being drafted that high Gore wasn't even around in the NFL...maybe not even college. Who knows, he needs to lay off those crons seriously.....he must be gangsta as it's not even Friday yet.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3185
Joined: 13 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 18:35 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact