Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Postby TheGhost » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:15 am

With the flex up to 4 RBs, I 'd have at least 40 RBs in my top 50 picks. I'm not exaggerating either. You want as many quality RBs as possible. You want at least 3 in your first 4 rounds. If you wait on that 2nd WR spot, its no problem when you start 3-4 RBs each week.


That does make sense and thanks for the response. Do you think it makes a difference that in my league WR's get two points per reception in addition to yardage points? It's also a QB heavy league in that QB's get 6 points per TD plus yardage.

The one thing that might even strengthen your argument when applied to my leagues scoring system is that RB's get one point per carry in addition to yardage. Does the QB heavy aspect and the 2 points per reception for recievers balance that out? Thanks
TheGhost
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 930
(Past Year: 21)
Joined: 9 Dec 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Postby TheGhost » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:38 am

So I agree with the advice about ranking 40 RB's in the top 50. The only thing that might change that is WR's get two points per reception and QB's get 6 points per TD toss. RB's get 1 point per carry (don't ask) too so that might even strengthen the 40 RB's in 50 argument. What do you guys think? Thanks.
TheGhost
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 930
(Past Year: 21)
Joined: 9 Dec 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Postby RudyBlue » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:40 am

So say I'm in a 12 team league and I put 12 RB's on my rankings (and not the top 12 because there are some in there I don't want), and then a QB, would I get the QB before I got any other position player on my list behind him?

Blue
RudyBlue
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 221
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Crescent City, CA

Re: Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Postby stomperrob » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:47 pm

RudyBlue wrote:So say I'm in a 12 team league and I put 12 RB's on my rankings (and not the top 12 because there are some in there I don't want), and then a QB, would I get the QB before I got any other position player on my list behind him?

Blue


If you list 12 RB's followed by 1 QB? If someone else has that QB in their top 12, then you won't get him, 'cause he'll be gone in the 1st round.

If no one has that QB in their top 12, a lot depends on your draft positon and how other pre-rank. If you draft 1st, you'll get the top RB but it won't come around to you again until 24th pick at which time that QB will probably be gone. If you have 12th pick, you'll get an RB and now you have the 13th pick and chances are there's still a couple of those 12 RB's you ranked still around since the other owners probably ranked their RB's different and/or not all went for RB's in the 1st round - so now you could end up with a 2nd RB, again missing out on that QB, and he won't be around in the 3rd probably. If you draft somewhere in the middle rounds, anything can happen.
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 138)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Re: Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Postby GiveUp » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:37 pm

Look... I'm not smoking pot.... ATM..... this just happened last year. I'm pretty sure it was gore that fell... Not BOTH. Sorry, I just realized I put an AND insteed of OR, makes it seem like I got both in late rnds. I had SA, Westy, Gore, Mgahee, and both Bells last year. Leaque can start 2 rbs and 1 wr/rb flex slot. So my draft went something like this...

1st SA 3rd pick
2nd Mcgahee 18th
3rd Westy 23rd

Then it moved on to fill up a qb, wr, wr, wr, wr/te, te, k, d, couple idp slots. Then in round 13 or so after all the 'Active' roster slots were full it started to populate EVERYONES bench slots. I happen to probaly be the only one that bumped gore up higher than what yahoo ranked him and therfore I got him. Had yahoo ranked him higher than the 30 or so other backs that got taken in the 1st 13 rnds, he would have gone quicker. Keep in mind at BEST in the 1st 13 rounds only 30 rbs were taken due to the auto-draft system. Also keep in mind that a few people left the yahoo rankings untouched guys like payton went in the 1st round and marvin/holt/cj/wayne went in the 2nd. Hell D Davis was on IR, but he got taken at number 9 or something overall because that is where yahoo had him and when it fell to a guy that hadn't adjusted him out, he got drafted. I didn't end up with a tier 1 wr beccuase they were gone by the back end of the 4th rnd when it came to me. But because I rank my RB the way I did I ended up with 6 decent backs and traded for who I wanted. I did get housh or DJax in the 4th and 5th rnds I think?

So what I'm saying is it is important to rank them and do it in groups. IF you don't want to burn a 1-5 rnd slot on a qb... make sure you move all the qbs down you list until like 40-50 or so. Make groups of players that you feel could earn you about the same amount of points in you leagues system. Move all kickers and Ds to the very bottom. Like position 120 or something. IDP to like 130-150. I think you can only rank 150. This will insure that you will draft your rbs, wrs, qb and te well ahead of a kicker or D. Then when it HAS to it will take them and move on to your bench to fill up what few gems may be left on your "i want" list that couldn't have been taken until that point.

Does that make sense?

BTW the only way I can even remeber this is because yahoo keeps partial history now... kinda cool to look back at my team last year.
GiveUp Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 89
Joined: 22 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:07 pm

one thing you can do is take off ALL of the kickers to override the computers desire to fill out your roster. I would also figure out what team defenses you could live with, say the top ten, then eliminate the rest. That way, you can just pick one up when FA hits. This takes a while, but I find it worthwhile. If you aren't going to draft a kicker or defense early, then what's the difference? In fact, you could set it to eliminate all but the top 5 defenses. There will always be d's left over , and all in all the ones you would have drafted would be the ones on the wire. But this way, you can grab backup talent in rbs and wrs. At least it gives you "choice" in whom you cut in favor of the defense, and up your chances of getting a gem.

Also bear in mind, that I wouldn't tinker too much past the top 20. Someone always, always seems to do something stupid with their rankings, and if you play it straight, I've found you can really cash in because it seems to cascade, especially knowing that the system wants to fill your roster with starters first. So you can cash in on the mistake while others have moved on to TE or something.

(When I play autodraft in baseball, I do something similar with catchers)
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2843
Joined: 3 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Postby stomperrob » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:19 am

GiveUp wrote:Look... I'm not smoking pot.... ATM..... this just happened last year. I'm pretty sure it was gore that fell... Not BOTH. Sorry, I just realized I put an AND insteed of OR, makes it seem like I got both in late rnds. I had SA, Westy, Gore, Mgahee, and both Bells last year. Leaque can start 2 rbs and 1 wr/rb flex slot. So my draft went something like this...

1st SA 3rd pick
2nd Mcgahee 18th
3rd Westy 23rd

Then it moved on to fill up a qb, wr, wr, wr, wr/te, te, k, d, couple idp slots. Then in round 13 or so after all the 'Active' roster slots were full it started to populate EVERYONES bench slots. I happen to probaly be the only one that bumped gore up higher than what yahoo ranked him and therfore I got him. Had yahoo ranked him higher than the 30 or so other backs that got taken in the 1st 13 rnds, he would have gone quicker. Keep in mind at BEST in the 1st 13 rounds only 30 rbs were taken due to the auto-draft system. Also keep in mind that a few people left the yahoo rankings untouched guys like payton went in the 1st round and marvin/holt/cj/wayne went in the 2nd. Hell D Davis was on IR, but he got taken at number 9 or something overall because that is where yahoo had him and when it fell to a guy that hadn't adjusted him out, he got drafted. I didn't end up with a tier 1 wr beccuase they were gone by the back end of the 4th rnd when it came to me. But because I rank my RB the way I did I ended up with 6 decent backs and traded for who I wanted. I did get housh or DJax in the 4th and 5th rnds I think?

So what I'm saying is it is important to rank them and do it in groups. IF you don't want to burn a 1-5 rnd slot on a qb... make sure you move all the qbs down you list until like 40-50 or so. Make groups of players that you feel could earn you about the same amount of points in you leagues system. Move all kickers and Ds to the very bottom. Like position 120 or something. IDP to like 130-150. I think you can only rank 150. This will insure that you will draft your rbs, wrs, qb and te well ahead of a kicker or D. Then when it HAS to it will take them and move on to your bench to fill up what few gems may be left on your "i want" list that couldn't have been taken until that point.

Does that make sense?

BTW the only way I can even remeber this is because yahoo keeps partial history now... kinda cool to look back at my team last year.


Someone took Payton in the 1st round??? He's been dead for 8 years!!!
(It was probably Peyton they took)

;-) :-D
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 138)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Re: Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Postby Gibbs_Wagon » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:17 am

eaglesrule wrote:one thing you can do is take off ALL of the kickers to override the computers desire to fill out your roster.

I have a vague fleeting memory of someone trying to put all the kickers in the "do not draft" section, and it backfiring on them - some sort of bug where they ended up with a bench of bottom feeder players with no kicker. Might be a bug yahoo fixed, or my memory may be incorrect. Just use at your own risk (If eaglesrule has tried this, by all means try this approach).

edit:
here's that post
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=247070&p=1718228&hilit=draft#p1718228
Gibbs_Wagon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar
Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 871
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Postby Gibbs_Wagon » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:25 am

Here's also some tips from last year - most of it should still apply.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=240756&p=1674118&hilit=yahoo#p1674118
Gibbs_Wagon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar
Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 871
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anyone have any AUTO_DRAFT tips or strategy to share?

Postby eaglesrule » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:47 am

Gibbs_Wagon wrote:
eaglesrule wrote:one thing you can do is take off ALL of the kickers to override the computers desire to fill out your roster.

I have a vague fleeting memory of someone trying to put all the kickers in the "do not draft" section, and it backfiring on them - some sort of bug where they ended up with a bench of bottom feeder players with no kicker. Might be a bug yahoo fixed, or my memory may be incorrect. Just use at your own risk (If eaglesrule has tried this, by all means try this approach).

edit:
here's that post
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=247070&p=1718228&hilit=draft#p1718228




I did try it, but you have to be VERY anal and make sure EVERYONE is off, that's how it backfires. I would say list 12 TEs, then taking off all the rest, taking off ALL of the kickers, and so on.

I dont' think its the be all mind you. and I think autodraft is enough a crapshoot, that lately, I ahave just taken off guys I absoloutely don't want, twiddled with the top 20, and pretty much let the rankings be.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2843
Joined: 3 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 18:32 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact