CJ2 Signs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

CJ2 Signs

Moderator: Football Moderators

CJ2 Signs

Postby dream_017 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:37 am

ESPN.com wrote:ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Rookie wide receiver Calvin Johnson signed a six-year deal with the Detroit Lions on Friday, ending the No. 2 overall pick's eight-day holdout.

Terms of the deal are not yet known.

Johnson's signing allowed him to get into camp for workouts, where he was out catching passes Friday morning. Fellow wideout Roy Williams said a day earlier that "the rookie needs to get in here."

Johnson was regarded by some as the best player in the draft after catching 78 passes for 1,202 yards and 15 touchdowns during his All-America junior season at Georgia Tech. He won the Biletnikoff Award, given to the nation's top college receiver.

The Lions, 3-13 last season, in April made Johnson the fourth receiver taken with their first pick in the past five drafts.

"He's going to be a big part of getting us to where we want to go," Lions president Matt Millen said after Johnson was drafted.

The Lions are 24-72 and have missed the playoffs every season since Millen joined the front office in 2001. The soft-spoken Johnson figures to get ample opportunities in offensive coordinator Mike Martz's pass-happy scheme.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: CJ2 Signs

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:08 am

So how much of Detroit's salary cap is devoted to WRs now? :-b
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:59 am

I'd be more interested to see the total amount of money that has gone towards signing bonuses to WRs over the past 5 years.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:00 pm

aaawall91 wrote:I'd be more interested to see the total amount of money that has gone towards signing bonuses to WRs over the past 5 years.

And the next five years to come! :-D :-b
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kilroy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:33 pm

The part of his signing I found most interesting was how they made room for him on the roster.

ESPN.com wrote:The Lions made room for Johnson on the roster by placing quarterback Drew Stanton -- a rookie second-round pick out of Michigan State -- on injured reserve, meaning he's out for the season. Stanton had arthroscopic knee surgery earlier in the week.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:52 pm

oh thats interesting...I mean I expected him to sit out a season to learn and be groomed for the future...but IR...hmmm, makes sense though since they weren't going to play him anyways.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Kilroy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:05 pm

aaawall91 wrote:oh thats interesting...I mean I expected him to sit out a season to learn and be groomed for the future...but IR...hmmm, makes sense though since they weren't going to play him anyways.

I expected he'd sit too, but I was still a bit surprised to see the Lions go so far as to put him on IR.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby FantasyMan13 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:31 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:
aaawall91 wrote:oh thats interesting...I mean I expected him to sit out a season to learn and be groomed for the future...but IR...hmmm, makes sense though since they weren't going to play him anyways.

I expected he'd sit too, but I was still a bit surprised to see the Lions go so far as to put him on IR.

Surprised and Lions can't go in the same sentence anymore.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:00 pm

He

I disagree. I can see no way that putting Stanton in IR makes any sense unless his knee is shredded badly enough that he won't be physically able to play this year. Which is not what's being reported by the Lyins FO. It can't help for him not to get to take any practice reps.

Love that we got the Messiah, CJ2 in the billfold. He is talented enough to lead us to a 5-6 win season. Gosh, I'm positively giddy.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby SeaWolf » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:11 pm

moochman wrote:Love that we got the Messiah, CJ2 in the billfold. He is talented enough to lead us to a 5-6 win season. Gosh, I'm positively giddy.

Only a Lions fan would be happy with 5-6 wins. :-b
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Football Talk