Keeper League Rules - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper League Rules

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper League Rules

Postby chk57 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:55 am

I'm starting a new league with the intention of it being a keeper league beginning next year. I haven't set in stone all rules yet, but the ones I wanted to let my team owners know about before we go into the draft were as follows:

-------------------------------------

1. NEXT YEAR, teams can choose to keep 0-2 players off their roster from this year. This decision will need to be made sometime next Summer before the 2008 season starts.

2. Players drafted THIS YEAR in rounds 1 or 2 cannot be kept.

3. When keeping players from this year, you will lose the draft pick that is two above for EACH YEAR KEPT for the round in which you drafted the player this year. Thus, in 2008, if you keep the player that you drafted in round 3 of this year...you will lose your FIRST round pick. If you keep the player you drafted in the 12th round this year, you will lose your 10th round pick, etc. GOING FORWARD to 2009, a player that you drafted in the third round...will no longer be able to be kept and will be thrown back in the pool. Someone you draft this year in round 10...you can keep in 2008 for your 8th round pick....in 2009 for your 6th round pick...in 2010 for your 4th round pick.

4. Players will only be kept for a maximum of 3 years

---------------------------

Well last night during an evening of heavy beer drinking...one of the owners says he feels that it would be better to just say...if you draft someone in the 6th round...then you should just lose your 6th round pick next year. And every year thereafter until the 3 year limit.

This, of course, is good conversation at this point while things become finalized, but I have never seen that from any other league rules I've been seeing, and my thought is that if you keep someone...year after year...it should be more expensive to keep that player.

He feels that if you were good enough(lucky) to pick someone late that ends up being a stud...well thats just your excellent drafting ability and thus you should not be penalized.

He also feels that I shouldn't make the first two round's picks unkeepable next year.

What are your thoughts on all this?

Thanks in advance.
chk57
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper League Rules

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:51 pm

Well, there are a thousand different ways you can do these rules.

Personally, I like rewarding owners who make saavy late draft picks and free agency acquisitions by allowing them to keep the players for "cheaper" draft picks next year. However, I believe you have to escalate the cost each year. We allow a player to be kept up to 4 times and the escalation is desinged so that no player can be kept 4 times without costing a 1st round pick at least once.

So, for example a 15th round pick costs you a 10 next year, then a 5, then a 2, and then a 1.

Note: Some keeper leagues don't work this way at all. Some leagues are set up where you just keep your 2 best players (or however many are allowed) then you draft normally with everyone having a pick in each round.

You will want to come up with a keeper value for a free agent acquisition as well. It should probably be at least as cheap, maybe one round more, as the keeper value of the last round picks in your draft. Also, you will want to have rules regarding keeper values for players traded, dropped, and picked up on waivers. Players in our leage retain their keeper value (once established) regardless of what happens to them for the rest of the season. For example, Kevin Jones was a 4th round draft pick last year so he could be kept in 2007 as a 2nd round pick. That value stays with him even though he was injured and ultimately dropped to the free agent pool. If someone picked him up just before the end of the season last year as a flier, it would still cost them a 2nd round pick this year. The same would be true of any player that is traded.

We do allow 1st and 2nd round draft picks to be kept. However, once a player is kept as a 1st round pick, he goes into the draft pool next year. So, the guy who drafted LT gets to keep him one year beyond when he drafted him. To offset this some, you can only keep one of your 1st two picks since both cost you a 1st round pick next year. That way, some of the top talent goes back in every year, but not all.

We allow up to 4 keepers.
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner