Ryan Tucker Suspended for Steroids - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ryan Tucker Suspended for Steroids

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ryan Tucker Suspended for Steroids

Postby Kilroy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:09 pm

From NFL.com:

Browns OL Tucker suspended for steroid abuse

BEREA, Ohio (Aug. 3, 2007) -- Browns offensive tackle Ryan Tucker was suspended for the first four games of the season for violating the NFL's steroid policy.

Tucker, one of Cleveland's leaders on the field and in the locker room, missed part of last season with what the team called a "mental disorder." He says he is now healthy and is eligible to return to the roster Oct. 1, one day after the Browns host the Baltimore Ravens.

"I didn't intend to compromise the integrity of the NFL, my team," Tucker said following practice. "I want to apologize to the fans, my family. It's been a long road. I was pretty down and out last year, and in my attempt to come back I took a banned substance. I'm going to fulfill this punishment and get it behind me."

Tucker will be allowed to stay with the Browns during training camp and preseason. However, coach Romeo Crennel said the 32-year-old player may not participate in team activities once the suspension without pay starts Sept. 1.

Tucker won a Super Bowl ring with the St. Louis Rams and has been a rock at right tackle for the Browns since joining them as a free agent in 2002. The 11-year veteran started all 16 games in 2005, and in 2003 he was the only Cleveland offensive player to be on the field for every snap.

He talked about "getting the respect and trust back of my teammates" earlier this week, but he wouldn't elaborate.

Tucker was placed on the reserve-non-football-illness list for the final eight games last season. At the time, the Browns said Tucker's disorder was one "commonly experienced by the general population as well as by professional athletes." Tucker has given no details about his illness.

"I didn't know if playing again was a possibility," he said. "The bottom line is I'm healthy now, my family's healthy and happy, people are behind me here and my family's behind me."

This season, he was being counted on to anchor the right side of Cleveland's offensive line, which was rebuilt during the offseason. The Browns signed guards Eric Steinbach and Seth McKinney as free agents and selected left tackle Joe Thomas with the No. 3 overall pick in April's draft.

The suspension is the latest distraction for the Browns, who have had just one winning season since their expansion return to the league in 1999.

Earlier this week, defensive tackle Orpheus Roye, the club's best lineman, underwent knee surgery and could miss the Sept. 9 opener. Also, rookie quarterback Brady Quinn has yet to sign and report to camp.

:~( :-P :~( :-P

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ryan Tucker Suspended for Steroids

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:13 pm

so does this mean Jamal Lewis is gonna suck even more
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:19 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:so does this mean Jamal Lewis is gonna suck even more

Yeap!
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Balanced Man » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:42 pm

mystykoekaki wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:so does this mean Jamal Lewis is gonna suck even more

Yeap!

Tucker wasn't even going to be a starter, so I don't see it affecting his number too much. you bitter lions fan you
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:14 pm

I read on Rotoworld that the Browns will move Kevin Shaffer to right tackle and start Joe Thomas at left tackle as a result.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 61&id=2611
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby sportsaddict » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:18 pm

What a shame, I remember when Ryan Tucker played for the Rams. And I remember when he caught a touchdown pass vs. the Vikings in the 1999 NFC Playoffs. ;-D
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

-Joe Theismann (pronounced theese-MAN, not rhyming with Heisman)
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BlueBandit24 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:40 pm

It's nice to see he at least admitted it and took responsibilty for it. Hopefully he can put those problems behind him and get back on the field after his suspension is up.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk