Playing without a backup quarterback? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Playing without a backup quarterback?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Playing without a backup quarterback?

Postby sportsaddict » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:20 pm

Has anyone ever just drafted 1 quarterback?

The pros of drafting just one QB would be that you are able to carry more position players, but if your QB goes down then you've got to rely on a free agent that most likely isn't great... but is the difference between Alex Smith and an undrafted QB that large?
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

-Joe Theismann (pronounced theese-MAN, not rhyming with Heisman)
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Playing without a backup quarterback?

Postby BlueBandit24 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:42 pm

I rode the season out with McNabb last year as my lone QB (outside of his bye of course), and had Cutler in for my playoff run and he did pretty well. Unless you have an upper-echelon backup, I think you can make due with 1 QB and pick up somebody from the waiver wire if injury sidelines your QB.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:00 pm

If I end up with a solid QB like Palmer, Brees, Brady, McNabb, Bulger - chances are I won't draft a backup, however if I pick a lower ranked QB then I usually grab a 2nd QB.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 177)

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:18 pm

Depends on how many teams and how deep your league is, frankly a lot of the QBs left on the WW after drafts have left my excited, knowing that if one of my QBs doesn't work out theres still many solid guys to fall back on, and frankly if you can get a top 5 QB theres really no need for a back-up in a uber-standard league. Just make sure there is someone on your roster at all times that you will be willing to part with if something is under question with that QB. (injury, ect)
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby onnestabe » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:24 pm

I generally agree with what everyone is saying as far as not necessarily needing a backup if you have a stud QB already. I would take McNabb off the list of guys that you can afford not to back up in the draft. He is coming off of a major knee injury, and he has battled a lot of injuries in his career. Not saying not to draft him, and not saying you need to take another QB very quickly, but you need to take someone who has some potential at some point in the draft.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:45 pm

Drafting 2 QBs serves a dual purpose.

#1 Depth in case of injuries and bye weeks

and more importantly

#2 Depth in case of poor performance

Too many people get caught up in #1 and not enough people draft for #2.

How many people in this thread would NOT draft a QB#2 just because he had the same bye week as their QB#1? I'm guessing it's the majority. MISTAKE!
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby 011472 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:52 pm

I had Palmer going into the auction last year and didn't bother to buy a backup. I was happy to grab from ww for the bye week. I was able to keep Carson and will do the same this year.
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:11 pm

I don't recommend it, if for nothing but the reason of "keep away." I know you shouldn't draft with an intent to trade, but the backup is key for injury, poor performance, bye weeks. And if you get a good one, you also have trade capital.

One thing with mcnabb is, you know feeley isn't going to be rostered, and if he goes down midseason, its doubtful someone will pick him up just to spite you, because of roster limitations. If you think the system is good, his real-life backup can be worthwhile. Garcia was a better than comepetant backup, and I actually think feeley is the better player.

I'd probably refrain from doing it for manning though, as if he goes down, you pretty much will lose because of whom you had to turn down to get him.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby iky » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:32 pm

It really does depend on how many teams are in the league. If you have 8-10 team format there is a high possibility of having good back-up QB just sitting there on WW, then again, it's a high gamble because most average QB's are very streeky. It's all up to you.

soty is tha man!
iky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CPD » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:34 pm

I would Never carry less than 2 QB's in a 12 team league..There r not enough quility qb's left on waviors....I supose u could get away with 1 in a 10 team league...but i would never do it...
At the very least pic up a second QB u think might Breakout in the last rd or 2..in 10 team leagues ..that could mean Smith/Loseman/Cambell....and if u go a few rds earler even Cutler....
No..ill take 2 QB's in all foremats myself..for my Money Depth wins...and with onyl one QB..u dont have any ......
CPD
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk