Playing without a backup quarterback? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Playing without a backup quarterback?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Playing without a backup quarterback?

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:33 pm

I don't know. Philly has their bye early this year. I might target a qb who has a good matchup that week. Like the tampa bay starter has indy that week, so you know he will be throwing like no body's business. Also, cambell is playing detroit that week, so that will be shootout city., especially considering that the skins pass rush isn't that good, and the lions will be playing matraz offense. campbell has the arm.

I think a reasonable strategy might be only draft donovan (you should get him in 5 or 6) play him, set it up to get campbell for the bye, then after that week, pick up feeley. Feeley won't be awesome, but he has a good arm, a good line, and coaching that will pass all the time. If donovan stays healthy, you get an elite QB for a fraction of what his stats really should cost. And feeley costs nothing, so you have someone who is at least average and won't crush you. Since you waited for donovan, you should have rbs and wrs who can help carry you.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RJ24VC15 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:15 pm

I usually draft 2 QB's in the later rounds and play them based on matchups.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:18 pm

I always draft a backup. You never know what's going to happen.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:09 pm

i sometimes do it, depending on who my #1 is...like some have said, top 5 QB really no reason to carry one
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lordrevolution » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:35 pm

I have to disagree with most of these people. Not only is a backup QB good for byeweeks and injuries, he could very easily become your starter by outpreforming the guy you already had. For instance, I drafted McNabb early and grabbed Brees late last year. Halfway through the season McNabb was destroying everyone left and right, while Brees was preforming admirably. I figured I could trade McNabb, get a few good WR (Torry Holt and SMoss for McNabb and some crappy RB) to drastically improve my overall team. Needless to say in a week or two McNabb went down and Brees blew up.
I think the problem with most people and their QB2 is, they don't look at the lower teired guys that much. There's a lot of potential to be had in the last five rounds of a draft, that could end up netting you the guy who'll push your team into the playoffs.
Lordrevolution
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby charliebrown327 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:04 am

Another thing to consider, if you've been in a given league long enough, is the tendencies of the other owners. A few of the guys in my 12-team league have been known to draft and/or carry three QBs. I'm not opposed to the idea of drafting just one (elite) QB, but since I anticipate fewer waiver-wire options (or the task of negotiating a decent trade with a guy who would carry 3 QBs on his team) I'll make sure I come away with two.
charliebrown327
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk