External Hard Drive - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

External Hard Drive

Moderator: Football Moderators

External Hard Drive

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:33 pm

Hey guys, just bought my first external hard drive a few days ago. I got a 320 GB by Elements plus 2 year extra warranty for about 105, which I thought was a good deal.

I have already transfered my music and what not, but my question is this: Can I install itunes itself on the hard-drive...that way its just a little less on my computer, plus I travel a lot with my hockey team and I will be able to hook it up to friends computers and play my music in the hotel rooms, instead of lugging around my Bose Ipod Speaker and my ipod. (Plus theres other stuff its nice to have on the hard-drive with me)

I tried putting the installer on the external drive than installing it, but it just gave me the options of uninstall or repair...and I don't know if I want to risk uninstalling it...and repair obviously isn't that answer...so is this even possible?

and also...any one out there know of anything cool to do with external drives besides using them just for storage?
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: External Hard Drive

Postby treat24 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:00 pm

i used to have one... my external hard drive crashed...

and no you GENERALLY can't install programs on them. they usually are just drives and don't have operating systems... you can have all the music and stuff on there, which is what i did. and have itunes save and retrieve music from your external. but not the program itself...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:47 pm

Interesting, I might look into installing on OS on it, thanks for the response.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:48 pm

There are programs out there that let you do stuff like what you're describing. Most of them make you create a little partition on the backup drive to store that kind of stuff. I can't recall any specific names right now, but I do know they exist.

Out of curiosity, your external drive didn't come with any software that might have something like that?
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CC » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:18 pm

With my computer that is fairly new (came with Vista, 6 months old) you can hook up an external harddrive and it offers to let you use the space to speed up the computer which is pretty convenient.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RiffRaff » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:54 pm

aaawall91 wrote:Interesting, I might look into installing on OS on it, thanks for the response.

Without a processor you are out of luck. Hard drives will not run programs alone.
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby Metroid » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:27 pm

RiffRaff wrote:
aaawall91 wrote:Interesting, I might look into installing on OS on it, thanks for the response.

Without a processor you are out of luck. Hard drives will not run programs alone.

Your moms a "hard drive." 8-o

HEY-O!!!! :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby RiffRaff » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:35 pm

Metroid wrote:
RiffRaff wrote:

don't tell me you've had a ride too :-° :-o
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby treat24 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:35 pm

Metroid wrote:
RiffRaff wrote:

nope... met is wrong... easy drive... very wide open lanes... something about a hot dog and a hallway and throwing... ;-D :-b
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby moonhead » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:51 am

RiffRaff wrote:

he did say he was going to hook it up to friend's computers. he was not real clear on specifics. but there is no reason that i know of why he couldn't have itunes installed on it. but it would not be necessary to have itunes installed on it if he's hooking it up to another computer. unless i guess they don't have itunes, and your entire library was purchased off of itunes. that might make it difficult.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Next

Return to General Talk