External Hard Drive - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

External Hard Drive

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: External Hard Drive

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:35 pm

I don't know about the problems if your music is bought off of iTunes, but I have heard of people putting there music onto external hard drives for thsi purpose. One easy way to do it would be to copy the installer file onto your external hard drive so that when you hook it up to a friends computer, you could install iTunes if they didn't have it on there. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:57 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:I don't know about the problems if your music is bought off of iTunes, but I have heard of people putting there music onto external hard drives for thsi purpose. One easy way to do it would be to copy the installer file onto your external hard drive so that when you hook it up to a friends computer, you could install iTunes if they didn't have it on there. ;-D

the music you purchase from the itunes store is protected. and restricted to the account that it was purchased through. it's a pain in the arse. my friend and i share a lot of music. and sometimes i get a file he's bought through itunes. he has to type in his itunes password on my itunes in order for me to be able to play it. it may only be a one time deal now, with the new itunes and all. that's what he said last time he typed his password into my itunes. i don't know. he's the mac guy.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby treat24 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:29 pm

moonhead wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:I don't know about the problems if your music is bought off of iTunes, but I have heard of people putting there music onto external hard drives for thsi purpose. One easy way to do it would be to copy the installer file onto your external hard drive so that when you hook it up to a friends computer, you could install iTunes if they didn't have it on there. ;-D

the music you purchase from the itunes store is protected. and restricted to the account that it was purchased through. it's a pain in the arse. my friend and i share a lot of music. and sometimes i get a file he's bought through itunes. he has to type in his itunes password on my itunes in order for me to be able to play it. it may only be a one time deal now, with the new itunes and all. that's what he said last time he typed his password into my itunes. i don't know. he's the mac guy.

music from itunes is still protected like this BUT you can use it on up to 5 different computers... so unless you are going around to a to of places with this music, you can set up your buddies itunes to play your itunes songs
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby aaawall91 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:11 pm

Alright, been awhile since I've Visted GT, just an update:

No software came with the EHD
ALL my music is on the hard-drive already
Installed I-tunes on it as well

Where to next? idk...suggestions of what to do now? (Besides Riff-Raff's mom) :-b

btw its like super easy to put your library on the external hard-drive...few simple clicks...then consolidate library and boom, no more Music taking up room on my pc.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby treat24 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:41 pm

aaawall91 wrote:Alright, been awhile since I've Visted GT, just an update:

No software came with the EHD
ALL my music is on the hard-drive already
Installed I-tunes on it as well

Where to next? idk...suggestions of what to do now? (Besides Riff-Raff's mom) :-b

btw its like super easy to put your library on the external hard-drive...few simple clicks...then consolidate library and boom, no more Music taking up room on my pc.

yes putting your music on there was never an issue. that is very easily done. it's running programs like itunes directly off of your EHD, which most EHD's won't do. you may have the files for itunes on there but i don't think your EHD will run it. you will most likely have to have itunes setup on thew computers you will be using your EHD and itunes songs with. there's a simple pop-up when you try to play your library on different computers where you just type in your itunes password and get rolling. I'd be interested to know if you actually can just have itunes on your EHD, open it from there, and have it work... that would be impressive and something worth knowing about...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:47 pm

Yes, I have Itunes installed on it...although I have yet to test it away from my computer...I'm going to try it out on my girlfriends computer in a few days to see if its a solid installation, but when I look at the root of the file it says its stored in E (EHD)
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:40 pm

aaawall91 wrote:Yes, I have Itunes installed on it...although I have yet to test it away from my computer...I'm going to try it out on my girlfriends computer in a few days to see if its a solid installation, but when I look at the root of the file it says its stored in E (EHD)

let me know how it goes, would be sweet to know if it is possible, of course if your girlfriend has itunes installed it may mean nothing and it may be her copy that loads even though it shouldn't cuz they will have different roots
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby aaawall91 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:24 am

Yeah, my thoughts as well...I mean it would be one thing to some how find the root to Itunes on my computer, but a completely seperate computer would be something different. But if all else fails theres a semi-old laptop on the other side of the wall that might recognize the EHD and the laptop doesn't haven't Itunes, nor ever has. Might try that tomorrow if I find time, I'll inform you of the results ;-D
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:40 am

aaawall91 wrote:Yeah, my thoughts as well...I mean it would be one thing to some how find the root to Itunes on my computer, but a completely seperate computer would be something different. But if all else fails theres a semi-old laptop on the other side of the wall that might recognize the EHD and the laptop doesn't haven't Itunes, nor ever has. Might try that tomorrow if I find time, I'll inform you of the results ;-D

Yeah, you might have problems there if the laptop isn't XP or could have its own set of problems depending on how old it is.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:36 pm

yeah, its a Windows 2k I think, but I have another one over there thats also an XP that I bought off my friend for 5 bucks after he punched the screen out...if I can figure out how to tell it to use the computer monitor I have hooked up to it without going through its settings I could use that.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk