Calvin Johnson as #2 WR? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Calvin Johnson as #2 WR?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Calvin Johnson as #2 WR?

Postby B-eAsy510 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:14 pm

Im targeting my #2WR in the 4th round of my draft this month. I figure CJ2 will be sitting there. Any opinions or other suggestions? We start 2 WR in a 12 man keeper league. Thanks
B-eAsy510
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Calvin Johnson as #2 WR?

Postby Atog » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:23 pm

B-eAsy510 wrote:Im targeting my #2WR in the 4th round of my draft this month. I figure CJ2 will be sitting there. Any opinions or other suggestions? We start 2 WR in a 12 man keeper league. Thanks

He'll probably be a good pickup in a keeper league but I wouldn't put the blinders on in case another young stud is available.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:24 pm

I'd wait on him longer than that. CJ2 will be available in the fifth round assuming there isn't anyone in your league who is obsessed with him. He could also be available in the sixth. I'd feel more comfortable with CJ2 as my #3 receiver. Rookie wide receivers tend to not make a huge impact (Colston is one of the few exceptions), and it's usually in their second and third years that wide receivers start playing to their full potential. Personally, I'd avoid him all together in redrafts because he will be overvalued most likely, but if you're going to take him, I'd wait until at least the fifth round, maybe later.

If this is a dynasty or 4+ keeper, then he is a fine pickup there, but anything else, I'd wait.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby bagobonez » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:41 pm

I figure if Mike Furrey can catch 90+ passes in that offense, CJ2 can at at least catch 70 and if he can average over 15 yards a catch he'll put up reasonable numbers as a WR2 and great numbers as a WR3
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:53 pm

bagobonez wrote:I figure if Mike Furrey can catch 90+ passes in that offense, CJ2 can at at least catch 70 and if he can average over 15 yards a catch he'll put up reasonable numbers as a WR2 and great numbers as a WR3

Mike Furrey is a reason that CJ2's rookie production could suffer. There are two proven receivers already in that offense, and they will demand attention from Kitna as well. Don't forget that although CJ2 is a talented rookie, he is still exactly that, a rookie. Rookie wide receivers rarely make a huge impact. It's their second and third years in which they should be blossoming.

Don't get me wrong, I think CJ2 is the real deal, but I'm not gonna get caught up in the hype, at least from a redraft perspective.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:32 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
bagobonez wrote:I figure if Mike Furrey can catch 90+ passes in that offense, CJ2 can at at least catch 70 and if he can average over 15 yards a catch he'll put up reasonable numbers as a WR2 and great numbers as a WR3

Mike Furrey is a reason that CJ2's rookie production could suffer. There are two proven receivers already in that offense, and they will demand attention from Kitna as well. Don't forget that although CJ2 is a talented rookie, he is still exactly that, a rookie. Rookie wide receivers rarely make a huge impact. It's their second and third years in which they should be blossoming.

Don't get me wrong, I think CJ2 is the real deal, but I'm not gonna get caught up in the hype, at least from a redraft perspective.

Could not of said it better myself.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:56 pm

Have to agree, CJ2 is a risky pick as your #2 WR. Rookies are just too inconsistant to trust with a slot you need points from each week. However, he has skills that no other Lyins WR has: he's really big, a legit 6'5", great speed, great hands, great leaping ability, and a great attitude for the game. He could put up some very good numbers for a #2. I think he will be good for 60 rec, 800yds, and 8 TDs min this season barring Kitna getting squashed into the turf.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby CPD » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:23 pm

In one of my keeper leagues (4 player 12 team)..I already had Colston....then took CJ2 with my first pic....I figired he would Not be there in rd 2 and also figured that i am now set at WR for as long as the league satys active...lol...leaving me to focus on improving my RB keeper's...witch by the way were Marooney and Edge.....
Sure i could hav mayby got better production from someone else this year..and that is Maby not definitly...But over the next few years ....ill take CJ2 out of anyone else who might be available...
CPD
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby The Lung » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:24 pm

A national fantasy football website's team of experts voted WR Calvin Johnson as the #1 overrated player for 2008.

Why? With a severely injured back for most of last season, the dude had 48 catches for 756 yards and 4 TDs. That's not chump change! Fully healthy, and with an improved running game and offensive line, why is he overrated for this year? Because Martz is gone? It's not like Megatron is typically being taken in the 3rd or 4th round - with an ADP of about 58, (mockdraftcentral.com) that's the 5th-6th round of 10 or 12 team leagues, right where a solid WR2 should go.

I don't get it.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby TheDiplomats » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:28 pm

The Lung wrote:A national fantasy football website's team of experts voted WR Calvin Johnson as the #1 overrated player for 2008.

Why? With a severely injured back for most of last season, the dude had 48 catches for 756 yards and 4 TDs. That's not chump change! Fully healthy, and with an improved running game and offensive line, why is he overrated for this year? Because Martz is gone? It's not like Megatron is typically being taken in the 3rd or 4th round - with an ADP of about 58, (mockdraftcentral.com) that's the 5th-6th round of 10 or 12 team leagues, right where a solid WR2 should go.

I don't get it.

I agree.

With that said, his value is at an all time low right now. I would do everything I could to try and acquire him.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk