Calvin Johnson as #2 WR? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Calvin Johnson as #2 WR?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Calvin Johnson as #2 WR?

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:10 pm

Maybe he is overrated because he is being drafted so high, I mean I love the guy and his ability but I also look at WR situations...And he has a terrible O line, the running game remains to be seen, and Kitna is average at best without Martz and also old, do we expect Stanton to just come in and Keep CJ2 numbers as high, or will we trust Matt Millen with another high draft pick on a rookie qb? Thats alot of uncertainty surrounding him, I guess its worth it to grab him in dynasties, but I wouldn't call him overrated either, just because physically he has the potential to produce a 1500 yd, 15 td type season, that alone makes him worth keeping in dynasty leagues.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JasonSeahorn » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:41 pm

Martz not being there might actually benefit Megatron. The Martz offense had many looks going to the underneath wides (Furrey and Mcdonald), but if the Lions call a more balanced offense this year, Roy Williams and Megatron should get a higher % of passes than they did last year. Kitna is not a great QB and the Lions offense is not a great one either, but if Megatron is going to get his chances that's really all you can ask for.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:52 pm

Ok, clue me in...why does everyone call him megatron?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby BlueBandit24 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Azrael wrote:Ok, clue me in...why does everyone call him megatron?

Roy Williams gave him the nickname because he is so big, like Megatron from the Transformers.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:52 am

The Lung wrote:A national fantasy football website's team of experts voted WR Calvin Johnson as the #1 overrated player for 2008.

Why? With a severely injured back for most of last season, the dude had 48 catches for 756 yards and 4 TDs. That's not chump change! Fully healthy, and with an improved running game and offensive line, why is he overrated for this year? Because Martz is gone? It's not like Megatron is typically being taken in the 3rd or 4th round - with an ADP of about 58, (mockdraftcentral.com) that's the 5th-6th round of 10 or 12 team leagues, right where a solid WR2 should go.

I don't get it.

You are saying that and then saying how he is going right where a #2 WR should. When he came out of the draft he was touted as an elite WR and that is still driving up his value. I don't know that he is to be trusted as your #2, if so, better nail a great upside #3. Last season, prior to and after his injury, Calvin didn't show that his speed translated into the pro game. He never broke open deep, ran poor crossing routes, and pretty much looked out of place. Now add to that a 180 degree shift in passing philosophy has taken place, removing more than capable Martz in favor of proven OC disaster Colletto. A change in O style can take years to fully implement and is not unheard of to cause trouble the first season, let alone letting Colletto do it. I can see spotty production this year.
I am not saying the Calvin doesn't have the ability to be a stud in this league. I suspect he may. But that is a huge optimsim downgrade from last year. Too many questions on Cal and the Lions new O for me to target Johnson this year, unless he slips to the 6-7th rds.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Polar Bear » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:18 pm

LS2throwed wrote:or will we trust Matt Millen

LMAO! The worst GM I have seen in years. I think he had his first decent draft this year. Even so, he should not have a job.

I also think CJ is going a little too high and I don't expect much from him. He has some potential, but I don't like Kitna at all and like LS2 pointed out the running game has a question mark on it.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:36 pm

Megatron has to be one of the worst football nicknames ever! :-P :-t
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby killiansjmd » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:41 pm

moochman wrote:Have to agree, CJ2 is a risky pick as your #2 WR. Rookies are just too inconsistant to trust with a slot you need points from each week. However, he has skills that no other Lyins WR has: he's really big, a legit 6'5", great speed, great hands, great leaping ability, and a great attitude for the game. He could put up some very good numbers for a #2. I think he will be good for 60 rec, 800yds, and 8 TDs min this season barring Kitna getting squashed into the turf.

Moochman - with Martz gone what type of offense will we see the new OC run in Detroit. Obviously, I think Marinelli wants more of a ball control offense and not a throw it all over the place like Martz had. Plus, have they upgraded that O-line this off season in your opinion??
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:00 am

killiansjmd wrote:
moochman wrote:Have to agree, CJ2 is a risky pick as your #2 WR. Rookies are just too inconsistant to trust with a slot you need points from each week. However, he has skills that no other Lyins WR has: he's really big, a legit 6'5", great speed, great hands, great leaping ability, and a great attitude for the game. He could put up some very good numbers for a #2. I think he will be good for 60 rec, 800yds, and 8 TDs min this season barring Kitna getting squashed into the turf.

Moochman - with Martz gone what type of offense will we see the new OC run in Detroit. Obviously, I think Marinelli wants more of a ball control offense and not a throw it all over the place like Martz had. Plus, have they upgraded that O-line this off season in your opinion??

They want to run a much more basic, run first type offense that sounds as if they will run a lot more and give Kitna the opportunity to audilbe more. Two runs and a conservative pass would not be unexpected. They are leaning heavily on a pair of rookies and a two time loser at OC to bring about these changes. rellying on a rookie RG and RB is a bit of a crapshoot, but would it be a Lions strategy if it weren't?, so it is hard to believe they won't have some snafus initially. On the plus side the O-line should be much more suited to run block than pass protect and Kitna shouldn't be getting sacked nearly as much. Sadly, I think that if this change works it will lead to diminished numbers in the passing game. What should be watched closely is which of the Lions WRs does Kitna turn to when he needs a bail-out pass. Odds are it will be Roy or Calvin, but take note if McDonald or Furrey get targeted a lot in the exhibition season.
So, from a fantasy perspective, view LIons players cautiously .

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Estarr01 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:56 am

[quote="TheDiplomats"][quote="The Lung"]A national fantasy football website's team of experts voted WR Calvin Johnson as the #1 overrated player for 2008.

Why? With a severely injured back for most of last season, the dude had 48 catches for 756 yards and 4 TDs. That's not chump change! Fully healthy, and with an improved running game and offensive line, why is he overrated for this year? Because Martz is gone? It's not like Megatron is typically being taken in the 3rd or 4th round - with an ADP of about 58, (mockdraftcentral.com) that's the 5th-6th round of 10 or 12 team leagues, right where a solid WR2 should go.

I don't get it.[/quote]
I agree.

With that said, his value is at an all time low right now. I would do everything I could to try and acquire him.[/quote]

All time low???? I still think everyone is looking at him as the next R. Moss, but I just don't see that happening. As long as R. Williams is there he's going to be competing for catches, then top it off with Kitna probably, at best, has 2-3 years left then you realize in a couple of years he won't reach his potential because there isn't anyone there to support him.

I like his talent I just don't like his situation, oh and Millen drafted which drops him down another knotch.
Estarr01
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk