Interesting problem. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Interesting problem.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Interesting problem.

Postby Heimholder » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:40 pm

How about going the mystical route - such as...

Fantasy Genie
The Soothsayer
The Crystal Ball (or football?)

or some other random ideas...

The Fantasy Winning Machine
Fantasy Crib Notes
Everything Fantasy
Fantasy Island :-*

Yeah I'm bored.
Heimholder
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AwalKB » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:00 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:"Fantasy Focus"

"Fantasy Foray"

(Yeah, I know, they suck.)

!+)

I'll give it some thought though, and if inspiration strikes I'll let you know.

I have to say if I was a reader I would probably take a good look at "Fantasy Focus", and it gets to the point, if you wanna make it say "Fantasy Football Focus" I suppose you could do that too.
AwalKB Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:25 pm

The guy who writes for the express newspaper here in DC, (basically a washington post funded USA Today clone in terms of ease of reading, where every story is like 10 paragraphs max, and is free for subway commuters) uses Swengali (and his name is Swen I believe). The only problem is he stinks.

I think you should refrain from names that infer you "know it all," even though as a prominent poster on the best fantasy site (well I love baseball cafe too, and these two sites are the best source of information out there, it just takes skill/patience to learn the motivations of the regulars.) But if you do want that:

If you wanted to evoke a "know it all" persona, I'd go "Cheese from the Wiz" your persona here is with cheese (packers) so its an inside joke, but you also imply an omnipotence. "Pack it In" could be funny too, but as a writer, you need to appear unbiased, so you might overcompensate with packers picks.

If the readership is a bit hippie and from the day, you could do: "Zaktansky's Points" as a riff on "Zabriskie Point," a cult film featuring themes of anti-establishment through the eyes of a young couple, which feature Pink Floyd, Jerry Garcia, and The Grateful Dead.

You could also do: "Thus Spake Zatansky" as a riff on "Thus Spake Zarathustra" (otherwise known as the 2001 theme), which incorporates your name and your status as a fantasy deity.

an obvious one is "Turning the Paige" both honoring your daughter, and the premise of the column, which presumably has to be about picking up and dropping people.

(<b>Aside</b>) I am an internet content professional (I know, I have typos everywhere here, but my hands hurt so bad usually, I don't fix typos for casual things), but I do know you don't want "fantasy" in the title, as your results, (and there will be if you are writing for a paper) will make it harder to find your work. Granted, a clever name will prevent random people, but I think you would want to emulate the "sports guy" to some the degree in that everyone knows who it is now, and the search results won't be mixed into other things.

You could also do "The Whole Nine Yards" which is kind of funny, as it shows that you are human, and is often--if incorrectly--attributed to football.

You could do "The REAL Dr. Z" as well, as any consumer of sports media knows that SI's Dr. Z is ridiculous at best.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:53 pm

Warpigs wrote:Hey.

Actually, my last name is Zaktansky. My 2-year old daughter's name is Paige, which is where I got the fantasy team name. "The Fantasy Paige" would be a little weird considering (although I really like it).

It's a weekly Sunday column. It actually winds up pretty long (around 40 inches for those familiar with newspaper jargon).

I thought your name was something other than Paige from reading your stuff last season. Couldn't remember.
You probably need fantasy football incorporated into your column header so that those who aren't into FF know what the material is about. Maybe Fantasy Football A to Zs (playing off of your name of course, could even go with A to Zaktansky but a little wordy) Simple, identifies subject material, and implies knowledge from A to Z on topic. Lacks pizzazz though.
Zak's Fantasy Forecast
Fantasy Blitz
Since it's a weekly column: Zak's Geekly Gameday
Fantasy Primer
Primetime for Fantasy

Your right, WP, this is tough.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Football Talk