Who are the players that 'you' need to have this year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who are the players that 'you' need to have this year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Who are the players that 'you' need to have this year?

Postby Lordrevolution » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:15 pm

If I get the first pick, LT of course. That's at least 4 wins right there.

I think if you've got a late pick in the draft (9-12 redraft league) you can't get better with your 2nd and 4th picks then Palmer and Housh. I'm a big fan of getting at least one WR from the team your QB plays on to get double points every time they hook up, and Housh is my guy this year. Palmer, I think, could rival Manning now that his knee injury is over and done with.

I like Portis if he is healthy enough to get some preseason carries. I don't fear Betts taking time away from him if he's healthy.

Scaife is my TE pick. He's probably the only person from Ten, other then Young, who's worth owning.

Matt Jones, Mike Furrey, and Arnaz Battle are my late round sleeper type guys, in that order. Jones is either boom or out of the league this year, Furrey should still get a few passes since the DBs will be completely overwhelmed with Williams and Johnson, and I've always kind of liked Battle as a player and Smith should be improving this year.
Lordrevolution
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pirate of the Carib » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:42 pm

Artose Pinner, Cleo Lemon, Travis Minor
Pirate of the Carib
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Warpigs » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:32 pm

The minute you head into a draft with this mentality is the minute your season is basically over. There are obviously some players that I have higher expectations for -- but when it comes time for my pick each round, I'll be taking the best available player based on value. I've seen too many people burn themselves because they stretch to take a "must have" player.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:44 pm

Agreed, I think "must-have" is situational and unique to your draft. Obviously, LT, Sjax, LJ and Peyton Manning are relative "must haves," as in (especially for the first three) if you have the chance, you HAVe to take them. I only say peyton, because qb and rb are the most important slots, and he's the one everyone would like to have independent of opportunity cost.

I'd actually think that Donovan is a "must have" in a weird way because Peyton and Brees aren't slipping to rounds 5 and 6, but if he stays healthy, you have someone on par with them, AND you get to flesh out your backs and receivers. I think Bulger and Portis are must haves this year using this metric.

But I don't really think you can think in terms like this, because then you end up overcompensating. As Bruce Lee said "be like water" in other words, be forceful, but flexible too.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:46 pm

Warpigs wrote:The minute you head into a draft with this mentality is the minute your season is basically over. There are obviously some players that I have higher expectations for -- but when it comes time for my pick each round, I'll be taking the best available player based on value. I've seen too many people burn themselves because they stretch to take a "must have" player.

Not exactly true. Most people's "must-haves" are high value to them anyways. Sure you might have laughed at people for taking Gore in the 3rd last year but nobody was laughing when they won the championship. Winning FF is all about valuing players differently from the status quo. If that means "reaching" on a guy you like then that's fine to me.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby frogfan » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:05 pm

LT, TO, and McNabb/Romo are my guys this year...drafting Mark Clayton alot lately too

also notice that I almost always end up with Henry in the 2nd...so he's on the list as well.
frogfan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Pimps Main Prophet » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:53 am

ownthecourt47 wrote:Who are the players that you have to have early on, in the middle, and at the end of your drafts this year?
For me:
JP Losman

If anyone has JP Losman on a "must have" list, they "Must have" been committed to a mental instution :-D
Pimps Main Prophet
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:47 am

bobbing_headz wrote:
Warpigs wrote:The minute you head into a draft with this mentality is the minute your season is basically over. There are obviously some players that I have higher expectations for -- but when it comes time for my pick each round, I'll be taking the best available player based on value. I've seen too many people burn themselves because they stretch to take a "must have" player.

Not exactly true. Most people's "must-haves" are high value to them anyways. Sure you might have laughed at people for taking Gore in the 3rd last year but nobody was laughing when they won the championship. Winning FF is all about valuing players differently from the status quo. If that means "reaching" on a guy you like then that's fine to me.

I think the must-haves are another name for players who are being targeted. Of course you can dictate your draft according to a preordained set of players. You have to go with the flow. For instance it does you no good to have a must have of Addai if you end up picking in the top 2. You're not passing up LT or S Jax to take Addai. But if you're picking 6th and he's there you are prepared to take him.

For me I find there are players on both ends of the spectrum: those I covet and those I avoid. Wayne, House, and Roy Williams are upper tier WRs I find myself wanting. Liking Big Ben, Smith, Losman as great back-up QBs this year. Caddy, Julie Jones, Jordan as RBs.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby thriftyrocker » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:51 am

QB - Roethlisberger as backup to a more established guy
RB - one of DeAngelo, Julius Jones, and ADP as a 4th or 5th RB
WR - Lee Evans as a 2nd WR, Reggie Brown as a 3rd WR, Greg Jennings as a 4th WR, Joe Horn in the last round
TE - no favorites
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby DrSpackle » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:50 pm

Leinart, B Jacobs, Brandon Marshall, Denver D
DrSpackle
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk