TJ Houshyomama - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

TJ Houshyomama

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: TJ Houshyomama

Postby CPD » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:35 am

well..u r obviosly a NE fan and a bit jaded in ur opinion....
and i dont car how u slice it moss is not even gonna catch 70 balls IF that..Brady is famos for speading the wealth....this is a ppr question. not who has superior jumping ability... Housh is ALREADY a top 10 PPR WR..he will be even higher this year...with henry out..
I will take him all day...AND night over Moss in ANY foremat...let alone PPR' ........................ 'championship"...lol
CPD
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:25 pm

eaglesrule wrote:CJ may be fezt or famine, but consistency is the overrated in this game. You need to win in this game, and yes, sometimes Explosiveness will steer you wrong. QBs will do this to you. WRs? I think most of the times, they are a little dicey, even the best ones.

Give me a break. You do realize that outside of his two monster games, Chad Johnson was barely a TOP 40 WR the rest of the year? You do realize that even if you strip out a guy like Terry Glenn's (who is an 8th round WR) two best games he STILL outscored Chad's other 14 games in only 12 games of his own? Other guys did it in 10 games. And I'm not talking Marvin Harrison and Terrell Owens' type guys here, I'm talking the Terry Glenns and Joey Galloways of our world.

Most of us play in head to head leagues, that's just the way it is. If you were playing CJ last year you got creamed at the WR1 spot almost every week. Most team's WR3 was outscoring your WR1, he was that bad. The really funny part though is that CJ was so bad up to his two huge weeks that many CJ owners had him on their bench by then.

People forget that there were several times last year where people in the who do I start forum were asking whether they should start Terry Glenn or Chad Johnson, and the vast majority of responses were coming back Glenn, and more often than not Glenn was the one who scored more points that week.

If anything is overrated, it's end of the year stats. If a guy goes for 1200yds and 15 TDs in one game and 0yds and 0 TDs in his 15 other games that is not a good year for you fantasy wise, it's awful. Now before you go laughing at that outrageous example too much, CJ's season last year may have been the closest thing I've ever seen to it. Seriously, the guy scored 42% of his points in two games. That means he scored almost HALF his points in 2 games and the other half in......14!

I've really gotta stop reading threads with CJ in them, I think I'm going to gouge my eyes out before this season starts.

Oh and FWIW, last season when Housh and CJ were both playing Housh outscored CJ (and that includes CJ's two monster games), and the year before they were pretty close. Yet, one is most people's #1 overall WR and an early 2nd rounder while the other can be had in the tier 2 group in the middle of the 4th round. Does that seem right to you?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby eaglesrule » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:11 pm

points well taken, although we aren't playing this year on last year's stats. I said nothing about Glenn or Galloway, and I said personally I prefer evans or walker, but admitted its debateably So that leaves only johnson that's up for debate here.

Johnson was ultiamtely a bust last year. Great. The prvious year seemed fairly consistent to me, and 2004 was pretty good as well. There were some stinkers, but he had enough good and great games, which happens at the position. Same thing with 2003 in my mind.

I guess my point is that I don't think its unreasonable for people to slot him based upon talent and his previous production, and figure his inconsistency was a blip and not representative of his skill.

At any rate, I don't particularly care, I just think its hard not to put the top guys: owens, moss, the indy boys, steve smith, holt, that's six already. When you factor in Plax (ha ha just kidding), but the fact is I don't see housh sniffing the top five this year, and you have guys like walker, evans who are in the same tier in my mind but walker should be totally back from injury now, as some of evans stats and metrics are pretty impressive. Throw in another year for colston, santana moss was bad last year, so this should be his good year (I don't buy into that stuff, but he is fast and campbell does have an arm) and Djax with smith might prove to be interesting as well.

I don't have anything against hous, but if top 10, definitely back end, and I think he is more realistically finishing in the top 12 more so than the higher tiers.

And yes sometimes consistency is overrated. I'm not talking about the conistency inconsistent johnson of last year here, obviously he isn't helping you. But on the other hand, I have had teams with guys who put up conistent numbers, and lost more than they should because you need some explosiveness too.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:36 pm

eaglesrule wrote:points well taken, although we aren't playing this year on last year's stats. I said nothing about Glenn or Galloway, and I said personally I prefer evans or walker, but admitted its debateably So that leaves only johnson that's up for debate here.

Johnson was ultiamtely a bust last year. Great. The prvious year seemed fairly consistent to me, and 2004 was pretty good as well. There were some stinkers, but he had enough good and great games, which happens at the position. Same thing with 2003 in my mind.

I guess my point is that I don't think its unreasonable for people to slot him based upon talent and his previous production, and figure his inconsistency was a blip and not representative of his skill.

Fair enough. Ya know, I don't think we're actually that far off here. My biggest problem with CJ this year is that people refuse to admit that he was a bust last year. People see those total numbers and just treat him the same as all the other top WRs just because the year-end numbers are the same.

If people want to acknowledge that last year was a bust, and think that he will return to prior form then I have no beef with that.

And yes sometimes consistency is overrated. I'm not talking about the conistency inconsistent johnson of last year here, obviously he isn't helping you. But on the other hand, I have had teams with guys who put up conistent numbers, and lost more than they should because you need some explosiveness too.

It's funny, because I am totally in the same boat as you here. It's doubly funny because prior to 2006 my big gripe with CJ was his lack of big games. If you go back to last offseason I made a big post comparing his multi-TD games, 20+ fantasy point games, and 25+ fantasy point games to the other tier 1 WRs to show how deficient he was in that category. Then this past year he has two of those (beyond) monster games, but forgets how to play football the rest of the season. If he could just put the two together...

That's what in my mind separates him from the other tier 1 WRs. A guy like Harrison will just blow up some weeks and win your game for you by himself, but when he's not doing that he's not performing worse than a bunch of 8th rounders.

So in the sense that you'd like your elite guys to have some of those "blow-up" weeks, I certainly agree with you and actually argued the same last year. However when we're talking about it being all or nothing, and the "all" only coming 2 out of the 16 weeks of the season I think consistency certainly has some merit.

So really, as I mentioned above we're not that far off from each other here.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to Football Talk