Shawn Alexander worthy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Shawn Alexander worthy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Shawn Alexander worthy

Postby northcuttfan » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:30 pm

ppr league 8 team league 4th pick.. any SA comeback believers? think hes a solid pick at 4?
northcuttfan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Shawn Alexander worthy

Postby Lordrevolution » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:33 pm

Nope, I don't even like him top seven. 3-4 should be Gore or LJ, so you take the other. Also there's a board for these type of questions.
Lordrevolution
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bagobonez » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:00 pm

Not no, but HECK no, especially in PPR. Gotta go with Westy and even BUsh ahead of him since it's PPR, and I'd take guys like Addai, Gore, Henry and Maroney over him too. Personally I'd go with Addai because I think he provides the most value as a runner and receiver, after that would be Gore. Henry's not going to catch many passes, and who knows what Maroney will do.

But the bottom line is, #4 is way too high for SA, PPR or not.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RJ24VC15 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:36 pm

I believe he will come back strong and is a good #4 pick. Just not in a PPR leaguge.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby mystykoekaki » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:32 pm

Alexander yucky
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby D3C4K » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:47 am

bagobonez wrote:Not no, but HECK no, especially in PPR. Gotta go with Westy and even BUsh ahead of him since it's PPR, and I'd take guys like Addai, Gore, Henry and Maroney over him too. Personally I'd go with Addai because I think he provides the most value as a runner and receiver, after that would be Gore. Henry's not going to catch many passes, and who knows what Maroney will do.

But the bottom line is, #4 is way too high for SA, PPR or not.

I wouldn't take him top 5 in a ppr league, but to say #4 is too high for Alexander in a non-ppr league is stretching it. He's had 5 straight monster years, is under 30, yet the second he has a down year due to injury he's no longer a big time back? He missed 6 games, strugged with pain in his foot for another 3, and still managed 900+ yards and 7 tds (2 less than Frank Gore, who played a full season). After returning from injury, he put up 200 yards against Green Bay, 90 and a td at Denver, 140 and 2 tds against San Diego (who still had all their starters in in week 16 - Jamal Williams had 8 tackles, Donnie Edwards had 7, while Merriman had 3.5 sacks that game), and a 108 and 2 tds in Chicago in the playoffs. Last I checked, he still has a soft NFC west-heavy schedule (2 games apiece against San Francisco, Arizona and St. Louis), plus he drew a weakened NFC south and the AFC north (Baltimore and Pittsburgh are tough, but Cincy and Cleveland...not so much). Meanwhile, LJ lost a good veteran qb that knew how to get the ball to his rbs and kept teams from stacking the line, lost yet another hall-of-fame blocker, is threatening to hold out, and coming off a season with an obscene number of carries. In San Francisco, Gore just broke his carrying hand, was already fumble & injury prone, and was routinely replaced around the goal line last year, despite being a yardage monster. It's one thing to prefer LJ or Gore because you're nervous about Alexander's foot, but after LTD and S. Jax there really isn't anyone that you could point to as a consensus, no-brainer #3. Granted, this is all just my opinion, but I have a feeling that a lot of fantasy players will be slamming their heads against their keyboard after Alexander goes off again this year while they get screwed over by Mike Shanahan for the umpteenth straight year (Seriously, haven't you guys learned your lesson yet?).

[Edited 8/5/07 at 12:15 pm: Correction, Alexander missed 6 games, not 7. One of those 7 weeks was his bye. My mistake]
Last edited by D3C4K on Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D3C4K
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:51 am

D3C4K wrote:is under 30

Heh...for the next couple weeks.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Atog » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:52 am

Not in a PPR league, maybe in a league without PPR.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby D3C4K » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:59 am

Free Bagel wrote:
D3C4K wrote:is under 30

Heh...for the next couple weeks.

Shh...I was trying to slip that one under the radar. :-b
D3C4K
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bagobonez » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:53 am

Again... the ONLY argument people have in SA's favor is that he's been a fantasy monster IN THE PAST.

Last year he was RB11 or RB12 in fantasy points per game, and he returns to the exact same offense this year minus Darrell Jackson. He's also now 30. And the only reason he put up numbers late last year is because Mike Holmgren gave him the rented mule treatment. Holmgren was running Alexander so many times after he came back, that had he had that same ratio of carries for a full 16 games he would have had 453 carries in a year. A blind monkey is going to get 100 yards and a score if he's getting the ball that much, and there's no way a 30 year old Alexander can handle that many carries a game for the duration of a season. He averaged 3.6 a carry last year (and even less than that before the foot injury) and will be running behind the same line this year. How can he improve? How is he going to average more fantasy points per game than he did last year when his situation is unquestionably worse?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk