Michael Irvin's Speech... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Michael Irvin's Speech...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Michael Irvin's Speech...

Postby FantasyMan13 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:13 am

...was really good, IMO. Very powerful. I still think ESPN made a mistake and he will be missed. Anyone else check it out?
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Michael Irvin's Speech...

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:29 am

Love how he credited God, the fans, and everyone involved in his career.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:17 am

Missed it, would it be on youttube, or is there a writen version anywhere?
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Kilroy » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:08 am

Irvin should just be grateful to be able to remember his induction.

Gene Hickerson wasn't afforded that opportunity, even though he opened he opened holes for three HOF backs over a decade plus. Bobby Mitchell. LeRoy Kelly. Jim Brown. The man paid the price in an era where the only rule was there were no rules to open gaps for 3 of the 20 best Running Backs in the history of the NFL, one of which just so happens to be the greatest football player ever.

Had he been given the respect he deserved he'd have been in 15 Years ago, and been able to see his life's labor fulfilled. As it was, his son had to that for him.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Slow Pitch » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:36 pm

It was very good.

Very raw & emotional. You can tell it was 100% sincere. Very rare w/ today's guarded athletes. Not trying to hide from his mistakes, but actually put them out there to teach others to be better is very refreshing...

"Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein."

-Joe Theisman
Slow Pitch
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beanoX3 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:39 pm

aaawall91 wrote:Missed it, would it be on youttube, or is there a writen version anywhere?

It's on NFL.com's homepage, in their video section right now. Don't know how long its gonna stay up though.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:57 am

Slow Pitch wrote:It was very good.

Very raw & emotional. You can tell it was 100% sincere. Very rare w/ today's guarded athletes. Not trying to hide from his mistakes, but actually put them out there to teach others to be better is very refreshing...

Call me jaded, but when I see an public figure standing in front of cameras with a prepared speech crying I think insincerity. Especially when they use their children as props. Staged is what I see.
Irvin's mistakes are too well documented for him to hide from them, but I do credit his handlers for coming up with a speech that would help people feel empathy for Irvin. He did a nice job with the speech. I just don't buy it. He wiped his nose several times, yet never once thought to wipe the tears off of his cheeks? Would ruin the affect.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby SniperShot » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:41 am

It was an awesome speech. I was totally not expecting it but it was amazing. Props to Irvin, that speech will not soon be forgotten. ;-D
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby mystykoekaki » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:41 am

Just read the transcript (because I can't stand watching him) and it certainly wasn't anything to write home about. It was actually rather boring for a Michael Irvin speech/converstation, and it was at some points very basic. You didn't miss much if you haven't seen/read it.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:55 am

I didn't think it was on the level of "four score and seven years ago," but I was surprised. He isn't particularly insightful or articulate in my opinion, so even though he obviously had help, I also think tears are hard to fake, especially for a member of a society that has been taught to hide them for so long.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk