Michael Irvin's Speech... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Michael Irvin's Speech...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Michael Irvin's Speech...

Postby TheRawDAWG » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:12 pm

moochman wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:It was very good.

Very raw & emotional. You can tell it was 100% sincere. Very rare w/ today's guarded athletes. Not trying to hide from his mistakes, but actually put them out there to teach others to be better is very refreshing...

Call me jaded, but when I see an public figure standing in front of cameras with a prepared speech crying I think insincerity. Especially when they use their children as props. Staged is what I see.
Irvin's mistakes are too well documented for him to hide from them, but I do credit his handlers for coming up with a speech that would help people feel empathy for Irvin. He did a nice job with the speech. I just don't buy it. He wiped his nose several times, yet never once thought to wipe the tears off of his cheeks? Would ruin the affect.

Jaded.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:36 pm

I have never been a Cowboys fan or a fan of Irvin and I certainly was no fan of his off field activities. That said, I think he has matured and his speech was sincere (the fact someone needs notes so as not to forget a single thing does not make him less sincere - I require notes to speak and it does not make me less sincere and does nothing to quell my emotions). I also laud his comments about Hickerson.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby CrashOverrid3 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:22 pm

moochman wrote:

Very raw & emotional. You can tell it was 100% sincere. Very rare w/ today's guarded athletes. Not trying to hide from his mistakes, but actually put them out there to teach others to be better is very refreshing...

Call me jaded, but when I see an public figure standing in front of cameras with a prepared speech crying I think insincerity. Especially when they use their children as props. Staged is what I see.
Irvin's mistakes are too well documented for him to hide from them, but I do credit his handlers for coming up with a speech that would help people feel empathy for Irvin. He did a nice job with the speech. I just don't buy it. He wiped his nose several times, yet never once thought to wipe the tears off of his cheeks? Would ruin the affect.

I agree with you as well.. it was way over performed and over practiced
*I created this sig!
CrashOverrid3
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Slow Pitch » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:11 pm

moochman wrote:

It was not prepared. He had no papers or prompter during the speech.

"Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein."

-Joe Theisman
Slow Pitch
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:29 am

Personally, I loved his speech immensely. For him to say what he did about "do as I say, don't do as I do" was incredible. It's amazing enough to say it in front of his kids like that, but to also say it in front of millions of people watching is quite courageous. I commend him for having the guts to go up there and not be a "me" guy like we're used to seeing. He said some very powerful things up on that podium and hopefully gave others a platform to say encouraging words. God knows there are some seriously troubled people playing in the NFL and I can only hope that Irvin's speech gave them something to think about.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:52 am

Does someone know where i can get the whole speech? Was his speech only 1:30 minutes long? Thats all I can find on Utube
SHOCKandAWE
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The town with the BEST football fans around! PITTSBURGH, PA

Postby FantasyMan13 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:06 am

SHOCKandAWE wrote:Does someone know where i can get the whole speech? Was his speech only 1:30 minutes long? Thats all I can find on Utube

No, I think like 25 minutes.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:43 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Personally, I loved his speech immensely. For him to say what he did about "do as I say, don't do as I do" was incredible. It's amazing enough to say it in front of his kids like that, but to also say it in front of millions of people watching is quite courageous. I commend him for having the guts to go up there and not be a "me" guy like we're used to seeing. He said some very powerful things up on that podium and hopefully gave others a platform to say encouraging words. God knows there are some seriously troubled people playing in the NFL and I can only hope that Irvin's speech gave them something to think about.

I agree! ;-D ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Previous

Return to Football Talk