HOF Game-Saints @ Steelers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

HOF Game-Saints @ Steelers

Moderator: Football Moderators

HOF Game-Saints @ Steelers

Postby NittanyLions » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:41 pm

The annual Hall of Fame game in Canton.

My initial reaction is to shake my head at Collinsworth. All he could say after that first drive was how good the Steelers look and how the Ravens and Bengals should be worried. I like the praise and all, but come on, it's August 5th. I like the involvement of Wilson though, and the hard-nosed run by Najeh to get in the endzone.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: HOF Game-Saints @ Steelers

Postby Popcynical » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:49 pm

Looks like Davenport is getting a nice share of carries with Parker out.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:33 pm

Carey Davis certainly is making a case for making the team. A little bit of information about Davis.

This from a local Pittsburgh paper:

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peter Diana, Post-Gazette
Najeh Davenport, right, will start in place of Willie Parker tonight.
Click photo for larger image.

More Coverage:

Woodson not sold yet on Steelers' new offense

Ed Bouchette's daily question

Gene Collier: McBean fits mold of No. 4s

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TODAY
Game: Steelers vs. New Orleans Saints in the annual Pro Football Hall of Fame game.

When: 8 p.m.

Where: Fawcett Stadium, Canton, Ohio.

TV: NFL Network & KDKA.

Radio: WDVE-FM (102.5) and the Steelers Radio Network.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The hunt for Willie Parker's top backup begins and ends tonight with Najeh Davenport, who will start at halfback for the Steelers against the New Orleans Saints in Canton, Ohio.

The search to fill the spots behind Parker and Davenport takes on a more fascinating turn and includes two young backs chasing a dream.

Undrafted rookie Gary Russell and not-your-average-first-year player Carey Davis have made enough of an impression through the first two weeks of training camp that one or the other could become the next Hydroplane Deloplaine.

Jack Deloplaine was a little known back from Salem State College in West Virginia when he made a splash -- literally --in a preseason performance in the rain at Philadelphia in 1976. Watching the water bug pick up yards, broadcaster Myron Cope dubbed him Hydroplane Deloplaine. He not only made the two-time defending Super Bowl champs but played for the Steelers the next four seasons and picked up two Super Bowl rings.

Davis and Russell likely never heard of Hydroplane, but they know Fast Willie Parker, an inspiration to all undrafted rookie backs everywhere.

"He makes you feel like it's possible," Davis said. "He went through a lot. I've been through a lot as well. It's not like it can't happen; it definitely can happen. I just have to be in the right situation, the right place at the right time."

This could be it for both Davis and/or Russell.

Davis plays fullback and halfback and has a Barry Foster-like build at 5 feet 10, 225 pounds -- stocky and low-to-the ground. He joined the Steelers' practice squad Nov. 2 and he has been around the block, wearing his fifth NFL uniform.

He signed with the Indianapolis Colts as an undrafted rookie in 2004, made the roster but was cut Sept. 13. The Colts, though, elevated him after the regular season, and he played on special teams in two playoff games.

Since then, he has been on the offseason roster of the Atlanta Falcons (2005) and the practice squad of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2005, with Mike Tomlin as secondary coach), where he remained until he was cut Sept. 3. He also spent time on the practice squad of the Miami Dolphins (2006).

"Carey has that ability to play a lot of different positions," said Kirby Wilson, the Steelers' running backs coach. "He's smart; he's what they call a 'tweener -- really a tribute to him because he can do a lot of things. We like him, we like what he does. Right now, he's in the thick of it."

Tonight, Davis will play halfback, fullback, on some first special teams and get a shot as a third-down back against the Saints.

"We want to see what Carey Davis can do in that area," Tomlin said.

Russell's case is a little different than Davis'. Russell, a Columbus, Ohio, native, did not play football last season after flunking out at Minnesota, where he gained 1,130 yards as the backup to Laurence Maroney in 2005.

Russell (5-11, 222) admitted he got lazy and fat, climbing to 260 pounds.

"I had academic problems, being lazy and immature. It was all on me. I wasn't getting up and going to class."

He also flunked most of the workouts he had early this year for the pro teams.

"I was overweight and I really wasn't prepared too much for it."

He was not drafted, but he lost some weight and the Steelers gave him a shot.

"Any time you sit out a year, it's going to take you a little longer," Wilson said. "To his credit, he's moved along a lot faster than a lot of people thought he could."

There is a bevy of candidates behind Parker and Davenport. Veteran Kevan Barlow did not have a good first two weeks and may find himself out of the running soon. Verron Haynes is trying to show he can come back from surgery to repair virtually all of the ligaments in his left knee in November. John Kuhn, who played nine games for the Steelers last season, is trying to make it again as a halfback/fullback. And there is Larry Croom and veteran starting fullback Dan Kreider.

The Steelers usually keep five backs.

"We're going to play a lot of guys in different situations," Tomlin said of the plan for his running backs tonight.

"We don't know what they're capable of specifically in terms of role development. I think if we keep an open mind and give them the opportunity to show what they're capable of, it will become clear."
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby webdawg51 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:25 pm

I say Woof Wooof, go Dawgs, Browns Rule and will win the division this year with or without Quinn
I dream of the day I can add some Browns to my roster!!!!!!!!
webdawg51
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:12 am

webdawg51 wrote:I say Woof Wooof, go Dawgs, Browns Rule and will win the division this year with or without Quinn

...and then you woke up.

:-D
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:43 am

I'm always pumped for the HOF game before it actually starts but after the starters are taken out 5 plays into the game I realize there's a loooooong month to go till the regular season starts... :-P

It was still a great game. Steelers looks very good, but who knows vs the Saints 3rd stringers...
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby onnestabe » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:13 pm

SniperShot wrote:I'm always pumped for the HOF game before it actually starts but after the starters are taken out 5 plays into the game I realize there's a loooooong month to go till the regular season starts... :-P

It was still a great game. Steelers looks very good, but who knows vs the Saints 3rd stringers...

Ugh. The problem is that the Saints starters were in the game a lot longer than the Steelers starters, and they still couldn't get anything going. Saints D looks horrible. I don't know how, but the secondary looked worse than it did last year. I know it's still preseason, and preseason means next to nothing, but I would have liked to have seen them get more done on both sides of the ball. Hard to make too many conclusions about the Saints offense without Deuce playing (and with a vanilla playbook that didn't feature a lot of the Reggie Bush misdirection plays that worked so well last year), but the defensive personnel that was out there last night is pretty much the same guys that will be out there in week 1. The only definite change will be that Roman Harper will likely be the starting safety, and Kaesviharn and Bullocks will be competing for the other safety spot.

I thought Lance Moore, the Saints new return man looked good. I know both coaches talked about how they were going to be looking very hard at special teams in this game - maybe Payton told the defense to let them score so he could get more looks at our kickoff return team :-? !+) :-b
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:25 pm

Well, it's just the preseason, and they still have to do it during the regular season. Still, Ben's deep ball looked a lot better than last year. Last year he would've underthrown that ball to Wilson.

I thought Davenport really didn't run well. He averaged under 3 yards per carry, and that touchdown run was the only thing that looked good from what I watched. I'll be happy to see FWP back in there.

It's a good, but rather pointless, start.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby nsulham » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:26 pm

Liked what I saw from Santonio last night.
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:48 pm

Yeah, didn't get to see the game, but I have to laugh when people act like these games are like the gospel truth or something. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting