Division problems... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Division problems...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Division problems...

Postby dan9124 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:28 am

This is the first year I've ran a league, so I'm running into a few roadblocks...the most pressing issue though, is what to do about divisions? Should I even have divisions? It's a 12 team redraft league. We've always played divisions before, but nfl.com randomly placed teams...But now I have to do it myself. I want to be fair, but I also don't want the traditionally strongest owners all in the same division, so I'm reluctant to leave it up to a random drawing or anything. Any ideas? Thanks.
dan9124
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Division problems...

Postby dream_017 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:35 am

dan9124 wrote:This is the first year I've ran a league, so I'm running into a few roadblocks...the most pressing issue though, is what to do about divisions? Should I even have divisions? It's a 12 team redraft league. We've always played divisions before, but nfl.com randomly placed teams...But now I have to do it myself. I want to be fair, but I also don't want the traditionally strongest owners all in the same division, so I'm reluctant to leave it up to a random drawing or anything. Any ideas? Thanks.

I place them based on draft position. Mine is a 10 team league and I use odd/even draft position for the divisions. If you go to 3 divisions, you could use 1,4,7,10 / 2,5,8,11 / 3,6,9,12
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby dan9124 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:57 am

That's an idea...I'll see how that works out. Thanks.
dan9124
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby kyguy78 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:52 pm

Draft position, but only if you do it based on last year's records.

"Just when you think you know the answers, I change the questions!"
kyguy78
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby dan9124 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:25 am

we changed formats this year, so I don't have the records to go by anymore...plus there are a few new people...
dan9124
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby aqua » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:11 pm

Personally, I don't think divisions work well in redraft leagues. They create another dimension but they only really have value in dynasty leagues and in a somewhat lesser amount, keeper leagues. The reason is that you may find yourself in a really strong /weak division and therefore have a really bad/good record - in a dynasty league, the rookie draft will(should) eventually create parity and bring about a cycle of strong and good teams. If you run a redraft league and get stuck in a really strong division then you are just screwed.

On divisions in fantasy football:
Redraft: No
Keeper: Maybe
Dynasty: Yes
aqua
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby aman74 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:11 pm

So if you have 10 or 12 teams once you have played every team once do you just start back at the top?
Finally won a league last year.
aman74
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dan9124 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:10 pm

We have 12 teams and a 14 week regular season with 3 divisions (as of right now), so we play the people in our division twice and everyone else once.
dan9124
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Cards24 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:24 pm

We run an auction league with no keepers. The most fair way of doing it year after year is picking from a hat BEFORE the draft. Before the draft so you can keep an eye on your division rivalry team picks.
Best Damn Fantasy Football League
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby dan9124 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:21 pm

I ended up coming up with my own method of doing it. May not be the most fair way....I basically divided the owners into 3 "tiers" based on how I believe they will perform. The first tier had 6 owners in it, as I know they can be counted on to be dedicated and spend time perfecting their team. The next tier had 3 owners in it, as they aren't as dedicated, but can still be counted on to set their lineup and make transactions. The last tier had 3 owners who may or may not play the whole season, and they usually have pretty bad fantasy seasons. So I drew out of a hat 2 owners from tier 1, 1 owner from tier 2, and 1 from tier 3, and that's what I set the division as.

May not be the best way, and I may be better off with no divisions, but we've always played with divisions and this was the best way I could think of to ensure relatively even divisions.
dan9124
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner