Ronnie Brown

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ronnie Brown

Postby stomperrob » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:59 pm

Dolphins' Brown ready to bring more power to running game

By JASON LIESER
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Sunday, August 05, 2007

DAVIE — This could be the Year of Ronnie Brown.

Brown said he enters every season with that mindset. But this season, with Cam Cameron's innovation, there's more reason to believe.

"The emphasis on running the ball is a little bit stronger in this offense than what we had last year," Brown said. "I'm excited because I've got a lot more to offer."

Quarterback Trent Green, who has spent most of his 14-year career in an offense similar to Cameron's, gave Brown a history lesson about the diverse group of backs who have flourished in this system.

"You're talking about Hall of Famers through the roof," Green said. "There's a track record of success in this offense, whether you're a receiving running back or a power running back."

Green cited versatile backs such as LaDainian Tomlinson and Marshall Faulk as well as others who have flourished in the same type of running game but with different styles: Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Emmitt Smith, Eric Dickerson and John Riggins.

"You can do so many things with it," Green said of the system, although he didn't offer more than a broad outline of it. "There's multiple shifts, formations, movements, protections - it's a high-volume offense."

In training camp, there is widespread optimism about Brown's role, but specifics are scarce and Cameron remains tight-lipped about his plans, saying he still is evaluating his pieces.

40-50 Power

Neither Cameron nor Green is about to open the playbook and divulge any secrets.

But Drew Brees will.

Tomlinson and Brees joined the Chargers together when they were drafted fifth and 32nd, respectively, in 2001. Cameron was named San Diego's offensive coordinator the following year.

Just two years removed from playing for Cameron - and 900 miles away at New Orleans Saints camp in Jackson, Miss. - Brees has some answers.

"Obviously LaDainian's a special guy, but Cam designed some great schemes," he said. "He was so creative with changing the formation of running plays in San Diego to create the best possible leverage. Cam will take a big, physical back like Ronnie Brown and get him into situations where he only has to make one guy miss.

"In San Diego, defenses knew what play he was going to run. Everybody knew when they were going to use 40-50 Power, but they couldn't stop it. The wide receivers and the offensive line knew how to block everything the defense could throw at them."

Brees explained that 40-50 Power - which Brown said is termed 20-30 Power in the Dolphins' playbook - is Cameron's favorite call. It's a gap-scheme, off-tackle run in which the back-side guard pulls and the runner has as many as three holes. Precise blocking from the tight ends and receivers is critical.

When the play was mentioned this week, Cameron froze ever-so-slightly, mimicking the countless linebackers who have failed to stop 40-50 Power.

Then he laughed.

"I think the most times we've called it in a row is 18," he said, beaming. "The tailback has a three-way cut: he can cut the back door, he can go straight ahead or he can bounce it. The really good backs have the vision to attack the entire formation with that play. That's why we like it."

Brown loves running the play in practice, even when Miami's defense knows the call.

"It's a power play, downhill," Brown said, rubbing his hands together. "They can know the play, but if everyone handles their job and executes it, then you've got an opportunity. That's one of those plays where you can hit them in a few different places depending on how everything works out."

The catch

If Brown avoids injuries - like the broken hand that cost him three games last season - he has a very good chance to top last year's total of 1,008 rushing yards.

At 6 feet and 232 pounds, Brown was the third-heaviest starting running back in the league last season. He may have come to camp heavier, but already is back to 232. He has shown his durability by taking a multitude of reps in the scorching heat.

But one of the key elements of Cameron's success in San Diego was using Tomlinson in the passing game, an area in which Brown has had little impact thus far. He caught just 25 passes as a senior at Auburn, and has averaged 2.3 receptions per game in two NFL seasons.

"I've been surprised these first few days how good of a receiver he is," Green said. "What Ronnie's comfort zone is going to be and how Cam chooses to utilize him remains to be seen, but his receiving skills have impressed me the most."

By improving as a receiver, Brown would give defenses more to worry about and might help create more running room. Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young, an analyst for ESPN, said versatility was central to Tomlinson's ground production.

"You knew LaDainian Tomlinson was in the backfield, but didn't know what he'd do," Young said. "Play-faking to LaDainian, handing it to LaDainian and sending him out to catch passes all demanded respect. Cam used them intertwined to give LaDainian more running room, and Ronnie Brown's going to find that out quickly."

His hand injury, inconsistency on the offensive line (which could be an issue again this season) and poor quarterback play limited Brown's receptions last year. Of the 22 running backs who ran for more than 1,000 yards last season, only nine had fewer catches than Brown's 33.

"There's a lot more emphasis on getting the running back involved in the passing game than there was last year," he said.

The breakthrough?

Since he was drafted No. 2 overall in 2005, Brown has been neither stud nor dud.

"I've got a lot more to prove on this level," Brown admitted. "That's one of the things that keeps you motivated. I still have a long way to go and a lot to learn."

Given Cameron's history - San Diego averaged 504 rushes per season over the last three years, fifth in the NFL - this should be Brown's best chance to showcase his ability.

"You want to find out how good you can be? You're about to," Young said. "Great systems bring out great qualities in good players. I think everyone believes Ronnie Brown is a dynamic back and this is the system to bring that out of him.

Cameron said there is "no magic" to his system.

"It takes a lot of effort on their part: running, staying in shape, being able to catch the football," he said of his running backs. "However, we've been able to get guys to believe that if they do the things I just talked about, they're going to be successful. After that, you get guys to block for them and let them do their thing."

Common logic

The Dolphins have missed the playoffs each of the past five seasons, but the years they came closest to the post-season were the ones in which they ran the ball most frequently.

Year W-L Atts. Rank Pct. runs Yards

'06 6-10 402 29th 40.5 1,673

'05 9-7 444 17th 44.4 1,898

'04 4-12 384 29th 39.6 1,339

'03 10-6 487 8th 52.0 1,817

'02 9-7 530 1st 53.8 2,502

Other Top Choices

Many people have criticized Ronnie Brown as unworthy of a No. 2 selection, though his draft class was one of the weakest of this decade. Here's a look at how he ranks in the context of the first running backs chosen over the past six drafts.

2001: LaDainian Tomlinson (5th overall) - Arrived in full force,

rushing for 24 touchdowns and nearly 3,000 yards in first two seasons.

2002: William Green (16th) - Oft-injured back missed nine games in '03 and had just 20 carries last year.

2003: Willis McGahee (23rd) - Returned from brutal knee injury to rush for 2,375 yards and 18 touchdowns in first two years.

2004: Steven Jackson (24th) - Averaged 5 yards per carry as a rookie and made the Pro Bowl with 2,334 total yards in '06.

2005: Ronnie Brown (2nd) - Shared backfield with Ricky Williams and ran for 907 yards as a rookie; topped 1,000 yards last year despite missing three games.

2006: Reggie Bush (2nd) - Hybrid back totaled 1,307 multi-purpose yards and helped the Saints go from 3-13 to the NFC Championship game.

source: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/c ... _0805.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ronnie Brown

Postby mystykoekaki » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:52 pm

Thanks for the article and very interesting read. It made it sound like he will have a great season, but also made it sound like well if he didn't that was expected. Kinda weird formatted and well hidden messages, especially with what it said about Tomlinson and how that might affect Brown. Very good article.

Interesting notes about Miami's o-line production from last season.

4.2 ypc avg
ranked #13 among ypc
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mikus » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:03 pm

So what is everyone thinking about the guy this year? I may have the opportunity to draft him in the first round of my keeper draft if available (No. 3 overall). Is he due for the big season most of us thought he would have last year, or a mediocre season? I am optomistic about him and think we might have been a year off on this guy.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby J35J » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:47 pm

I've got him right around 15th for RBs.

1200 rush yds
8 rush tds
35 receptions
275 rec yds
1 rec tds
J35J
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:22 pm

The fact that I see him usually slipping past the halfway point in the 2nd round is all the more reason I like having a top 5 pick this year.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kilroy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:44 am

I think a lot of it will depend on Trent Green and the Dolphins' passing game (or lack thereof). If Green stays healthy and they can move the ball enough through the air to keep defenses honest then I think Brown could be in for a solid season. If he's facing stacked boxes all the time though he's apt to struggle.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Dhark » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:39 am

Definately going to depend on Green. I don't think they have upgraded their line, which is an issue. They let McMichael go, that may hurt some. I expect much of the same out of Ronnie. The good news is that if you draft him where he is going then you are in value. Then if he blows up then you got a great steal in the draft. Last year he went so high in the drafts he hurt alot of people w/ his production.
Dhark
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby biju » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:02 pm

As mentioned, the problem with Brown isn't necessarily his talent but rather the talent of his surrounding cast. Trent Green is an upgrade (which is why Chris Chambers also looks like a good "steal" this year as well) for Ronnie, but the big difference might be with the O-line. This is a squad that is generally listed as one of the worst in the league.

Of course, when Cameron came to San Diego they weren't a good squad either and he certainly shaped them up into a good looking group. I think Ronnie Brown is moderately priced as a mid-second round pick with the ability to perform right around there, but his ceiling could be top 8 or so.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk