Ben Watson - the forgotten one? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ben Watson - the forgotten one?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ben Watson - the forgotten one?

Postby stomperrob » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:23 pm

With all those targets Brady has at WR this year, just how many touches will Watson see???

Watson remains in play

01:00 AM EDT on Sunday, August 5, 2007

BY SHALISE MANZA YOUNG

Journal Sports Writer

FOXBORO – It’s hard to imagine that at 6-foot-3, 255 pounds, pass-catching tight end Benjamin Watson could be overlooked.

But on an offense that has been, shall we say, enhanced by the signing of a number of wide receivers in the offseason, Watson seemingly has been in the background.

Don’t minimize him, however, because he’s the kind of talent who’ll be back in the spotlight sooner rather than later.

Especially since the guy spreading the ball around is well aware of his presence.

“I don’t care what anyone else says, I’m not forgetting about him,” Tom Brady said of Watson last week.

Even with Brady’s endorsement, Watson isn’t worried about who’s getting the ink.

“I don’t really feel forgotten. Those guys deserve to be talked about,” he said. “I mean, Randy Moss. Donte Stallworth. Wes Welker. Kelley Washington. Those are guys who I’ve watched play and who are great players, so it’s no slight against me, talking about those guys now. When it comes down to it, we’re all striving for the same thing.”

And though he claims he doesn’t know how defenses will play against the Patriots, Watson must know that the mere presence of Moss stands to open things up for him. The former first-round pick is coming off a career year, with 49 catches for 643 yards — despite missing the final three games of the regular season with a knee injury.

At times, even Watson is excited to look over and see Moss, once the premier downfield receiver in the NFL and still a formidable threat, wearing a Patriots’ helmet.

“I think a lot of guys are like that. Junior (Seau) last year, even some of the older guys we’re like, ‘wow, that’s Junior,’ ” Watson said. “To a player, we walk on the same team, but at the same time, I watched him when I was in high school. So the thing is, it’s great to play with a guy that you’ve watched and you realize that he’s a man just like you, he makes mistakes, and also at the same time you get to learn from him.”

The offseason provided plenty of opportunity for Watson to learn. He was one of four NFL players to travel to the Middle East as part of the league’s USO program, visiting troops in Iraq and coming away changed by the experience. For 12 days, he had cold showers and bland meals-ready-to-eat (MREs), and even slept in a dam on the Euphrates River.

He came away with a greater respect for the men and women he met there, many of whom just wanted to meet him, stronger in his faith, and the realization that a loss on the football field isn’t as serious as a loss on the battlefield.

The athletic tight end — this is, remember, the man who chased down Champ Bailey — came into the league known more as a pass-catcher, but has worked hard to improve his blocking, something that’s been evident since training camp began. The skill will come in handy with his good friend, Daniel Graham, now playing in Denver.

“A lot (of blocking) is ‘want-to’, a lot of it is technique,” Watson explained. “It’s a combination of both, like anything else. But in our offense, at my position, it’s something you’ve got to do if you want to get on the field. They expect you to be able to run routes and they expect you to block. That’s what tight ends do.”

What tight ends aren’t supposed to do is be able to sprint the length of the field to chase down elite cornerbacks, as Watson did to Bailey in the Patriots’ loss to Denver in the 2005 playoffs.

That play was a lot like one his new teammate, Moss, could virtually pull off on the old Sega Dreamcast game system, which Watson used to play.

“He was awesome on that game,” Watson recalled. “I saw him do something (Wednesday) and I was like, that was like one of those Dreamcast moves.”

Fans still approach Watson about the play in Denver, which seems destined to follow him throughout his career and beyond.

“People recognize it and still to this day come up to me and congratulate me and say it was a great play,” he said. “But hopefully this year coming up we’ll add more to that.”

source: http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/s ... 25f68.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ben Watson - the forgotten one?

Postby moonhead » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:50 pm

jeez, and here i was thinking he was forgotten about last year. silly me. :-D
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:10 pm

moonhead wrote:jeez, and here i was thinking he was forgotten about last year. silly me. :-D

the thing is, the pats needed watson last year because of the lack of WRs. They got it to him often because he was their best receiver. Not true this year, and I think the spreading of the wealth will only hurt Watson next year. Because like it or not, it's a weighted spread and while he might get more big plays, he's gonna see less balls.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:23 pm

His value is lower this year than it was last year, because of Moss, Stallworth, and Welker. However, he will still see some touches, as will any reciever on the field in the same uniform as Brady. He still has value in pretty much all formats.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kilroy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:22 am

With the way that Stallworth and Moss are likely going to stretch the field the middle's gonna be wide open for Watson and Welker, and I expect them both to do some damage this year.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Return to Football Talk