IDP Question: Jonathan Vilma - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

IDP Question: Jonathan Vilma

Moderator: Football Moderators

IDP Question: Jonathan Vilma

Postby FF Newbie » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:54 am

This is my first year playing in an IDP league and I have a question about Jonathan Vilma. How or why did he go from 128 solo tackles in 2005 to just 68 last year? Was he moved from the inside to the outside or did the Jets go from a 4-3 to a 3-4? What's the explanation for his huge drop in production and should I be expecting Vilma's '05 or '06 numbers or something in-between?
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: IDP Question: Jonathan Vilma

Postby Kilroy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:11 am

FF Newbie wrote:This is my first year playing in an IDP league and I have a question about Jonathan Vilma. How or why did he go from 128 solo tackles in 2005 to just 68 last year? Was he moved from the inside to the outside or did the Jets go from a 4-3 to a 3-4? What's the explanation for his huge drop in production and should I be expecting Vilma's '05 or '06 numbers or something in-between?

The Jets switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4, and Vilma's individual stats suffered as a result. With a year in that scheme under his belt I think Vilma's numbers will be better this year than last, but I wouldn't expect a repeat of '05 any time soon.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby killiansjmd » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:06 am

like Kilroy said the Jets moved from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Vilma really struggled with this transition in the beginning of the season. He got better as the season went on and so far in TC, Mangini has said he has looked good. I would probably rank him anywhere in the 15-20 range for LB's.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FF Newbie » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:18 pm

Thanks, guys. Looking at Vilma's game log from last year, he was actually a lot better during the FIRST HALF of the season. In 8 games before the bye week, he had 69 total tackles. In 8 games after the bye week, he had just 46 total tackles. Clearly, he wasn't "getting used to the system" and improving as the year went on. In fact, he was regressing. There has to be more to it than the change in system since he was actually performing well during the first 8 games under the new system. Was he injured over the 2nd half of the season last year or unmotivated?
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby maddog60 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:58 pm

I dont think Vilma lacks motivation, its simply a matter of so many guys on the field put in position to make tackles, less linemen to eat up blockers, that only a precious few LBs ever really flourish under the 3-4.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dadd » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:13 pm

maddog60 wrote:I dont think Vilma lacks motivation, its simply a matter of so many guys on the field put in position to make tackles, less linemen to eat up blockers, that only a precious few LBs ever really flourish under the 3-4.

This is true, typically only the OLB in a 3-4 succeed. Vilma isn't the typical 3-4 linebacker, he was wore down as the season went on fighting blockers. I will say that the Jets have experimented in playing situational 4-3 this year as well. I wouldn't expect his numbers to be over 80 tackles, with only a few sacks, FF, FR to help his stats.
Dadd
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk