Those Are Some Ashy Tasting Cookies - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Those Are Some Ashy Tasting Cookies

Moderator: Football Moderators

Those Are Some Ashy Tasting Cookies

Postby sox 06 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:56 am

ELMIRA, N.Y. (AP) - A New York state woman who was quick with the bargains at her rummage sale mistakenly accepted 50 cents for a ceramic turtle with the ashes of her husband's previous wife inside.

Now, Anita Lewis is desperately searching for the buyer who said she planned to use the urn as a cookie jar.

Lewis said she hauled items into her yard early Saturday while her husband slept.

The buyer quickly selected the large turtle container, despite being unable to get the lid open.

Lewis's husband's previous wife collected turtles.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Those Are Some Ashy Tasting Cookies

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:58 am

That's just gross...why would you randomly sell stuff without consulting your husband though?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby WickedSmaat » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:06 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:That's just gross...why would you randomly sell stuff without consulting your husband though?

She probably ate some brownies she baked that morning B-)
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby knapplc » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:06 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:That's just gross...why would you randomly sell stuff without consulting your husband though?

You're not married, I take it? ;-7 :-b

My wife is constantly moving my stuff. We have two General Junk areas in our house - one section of kitchen counter right by the garage door and the far end of our dining room table. If I put something somewhere that's NOT either of those two places, she'll move it (and not necessarily to either of those two places, mind you) because she's afraid that if she didn't, I'd lose the item. This has happened in the past with my keys, my glasses, my wallet, documents/papers/mail that I had with me in some other part of the house, my hat, my sunglasses, my belt, my knife, my glock, my books, my phone, etc.

Wives do not think the same way husbands do. It is my experience that wives tend to think of their husbands as barely functioning idiots requiring constant supervision, much like slightly mobile potted plants. Their nuturing instincts take precedence over common sense much of the time, and in their efforts to be helpful, create a clean/functional home life, and/or to just plain feel organized, they move their husband's things, throw away their husbands things (this has happened with several of my shirts), or in general mess with their husband's stuff.

And then they wonder why we lose our minds. :*) :-o
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:42 pm

And the story has a happy ending:

ELMIRA, N.Y. - A large ceramic turtle containing a woman's ashes has been recovered after it was accidentally sold for 50 cents at a rummage sale.

When Anita Lewis of Elmira sold the turtle Saturday to a woman with plans to use it as a cookie jar, she didn't know it held the ashes of her husband's late wife.

Terrence Lewis' previous wife had collected turtles and the couple's home was full of them, Anita Lewis said.

She realized her mistake and began a frantic search that led to the Salvation Army Thrift Shop in Horseheads after an anonymous caller's tip to the Star-Gazette of Elmira.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PMoneyTKE » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:52 pm

knapplc wrote:And the story has a happy ending:

ELMIRA, N.Y. - A large ceramic turtle containing a woman's ashes has been recovered after it was accidentally sold for 50 cents at a rummage sale.

When Anita Lewis of Elmira sold the turtle Saturday to a woman with plans to use it as a cookie jar, she didn't know it held the ashes of her husband's late wife.

Terrence Lewis' previous wife had collected turtles and the couple's home was full of them, Anita Lewis said.

She realized her mistake and began a frantic search that led to the Salvation Army Thrift Shop in Horseheads after an anonymous caller's tip to the Star-Gazette of Elmira.

:-? She bought it at a garage sale and then gave it to the Salvation Army??
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:57 pm

knapplc wrote:

:-b :-b

so true
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:14 pm

knapplc wrote:

My wife is constantly moving my stuff. We have two General Junk areas in our house - one section of kitchen counter right by the garage door and the far end of our dining room table. If I put something somewhere that's NOT either of those two places, she'll move it (and not necessarily to either of those two places, mind you) because she's afraid that if she didn't, I'd lose the item. This has happened in the past with my keys, my glasses, my wallet, documents/papers/mail that I had with me in some other part of the house, my hat, my sunglasses, my belt, my knife, my glock, my books, my phone, etc.

Wives do not think the same way husbands do. It is my experience that wives tend to think of their husbands as barely functioning idiots requiring constant supervision, much like slightly mobile potted plants. Their nuturing instincts take precedence over common sense much of the time, and in their efforts to be helpful, create a clean/functional home life, and/or to just plain feel organized, they move their husband's things, throw away their husbands things (this has happened with several of my shirts), or in general mess with their husband's stuff.

And then they wonder why we lose our minds. :*) :-o

No, I'm not married, however I have heard stories similar to yours, so your opinion (which is probably correct) about how women precieve their husbands is not s huge surprise to me.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:09 pm

I would think that is quite common. Usually, garage sales are meant to quickly get rid of trash.

Glad to hear about the happy ending, though.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to General Talk