I need Auction Draft Help - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I need Auction Draft Help

Moderator: Football Moderators

I need Auction Draft Help

Postby pirater4u » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:27 am

Hey gang,

So I'm proposing something new to my league this year.

At the conclusion of the 2007 Fantasy Football season (NFL week 16) I'd like to propose that we slowly introduce the concept of an Auction style to our league with an NFL Playoff Auction draft. An auction draft for the 12 remaining teams in the NFL Playoffs.

Only problem - I have never done an auction draft.

So I turn to the experts.... How do I set this up? What are the rules, salary cap, etc?

Couple of things to keep in mind:

Regular season buy-in was $100 per team (10 teams) with pay outs of $550 - 1st, $200 - 2nd, $100 - 3rd (remainder of pot covers misc. draft costs). So I'd like to keep the salary cap as low as possible but also making the concept worthwhile (I was thinking $20?)

Be gentle - this is my first time attempting to comprehend this (surprisingly there isn't a lot of info online) so please try and put your explination in as detailed and simplest terms as possible.

I think that's it... Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.
"Now...I have...a machine gun...Ho...Ho...Ho." - Hans Gruber
pirater4u
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: I need Auction Draft Help

Postby dream_017 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:37 am

pirater4u wrote:Hey gang,

So I'm proposing something new to my league this year.

At the conclusion of the 2007 Fantasy Football season (NFL week 16) I'd like to propose that we slowly introduce the concept of an Auction style to our league with an NFL Playoff Auction draft. An auction draft for the 12 remaining teams in the NFL Playoffs.

Only problem - I have never done an auction draft.

So I turn to the experts.... How do I set this up? What are the rules, salary cap, etc?

Couple of things to keep in mind:

Regular season buy-in was $100 per team (10 teams) with pay outs of $550 - 1st, $200 - 2nd, $100 - 3rd (remainder of pot covers misc. draft costs). So I'd like to keep the salary cap as low as possible but also making the concept worthwhile (I was thinking $20?)

Be gentle - this is my first time attempting to comprehend this (surprisingly there isn't a lot of info online) so please try and put your explination in as detailed and simplest terms as possible.

I think that's it... Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Try this
;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby pirater4u » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:03 pm

Yeah,

I read that... I'm looking for someone to give me a more personalized "idiots guide to setting up an auction draft" with the specifications I listed above. Also remember this is for during the playoffs, not during the regular season so you only have 12 teams to choose from. I'm willing to answer any questions you may have about my league specifically that may assist you.

I apologize, but I'm kind of looking for someone to hold my hand here in order to set this up.

- Thanks
"Now...I have...a machine gun...Ho...Ho...Ho." - Hans Gruber
pirater4u
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Cafe Writer

Postby dream_017 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:46 pm

A lot depends on what you want to do, there are a number of different salary caps that you could do, whether it's $100 or $1000. There are no real set standard on auctions that I am aware of.

These may be able to help you with some of the basics ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Dexter II » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:38 pm

For the basics I'd start with the following:

Start with a $100 or $200 salary cap

Bid in increments of $1

Decide on open or poker style - open you can bid at any time, poker is once you pass you are not allowed to bid on that player again.

Sit around a table or have some sort of order for nominations. We just sit down at the table and have last years champion start and go clockwise from there for nominations.

As Commish create a spreadsheet to track cap spend and cap left to spend - this is important so that you don't have owners spend all their money on 10 players. Usually it is required to keep at least $1 in your salary cap for each open roster spot.

Discuss the auction process before you start. Make sure owners are clear on the process and the rules of the auction.

If poker style decide how much time an owner has to bid or pass

If open decide how the final sale is determined, once, twice, sold or going, going, gone - some advise using an auctioneer not in the league to do this.

Find a nice place to have it and enjoy. Auctions are a lot of fun.

This is all that comes mind on the basics. Do a search for fantasy football auctions, fantasy football auction strategy, etc and you'll find a bunch of auction articles. Of course there are also some pretty good threads here on the cafe as well.

Hope this helps. If I think of anything else I'll add to the post.
Fatalism Helps with the Jump but not the Fall
Dexter II
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Web SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PMoneyTKE » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:14 am

Dexter II wrote:For the basics I'd start with the following:

Start with a $100 or $200 salary cap

Bid in increments of $1

Decide on open or poker style - open you can bid at any time, poker is once you pass you are not allowed to bid on that player again.

Sit around a table or have some sort of order for nominations. We just sit down at the table and have last years champion start and go clockwise from there for nominations.

As Commish create a spreadsheet to track cap spend and cap left to spend - this is important so that you don't have owners spend all their money on 10 players. Usually it is required to keep at least $1 in your salary cap for each open roster spot.

Discuss the auction process before you start. Make sure owners are clear on the process and the rules of the auction.

If poker style decide how much time an owner has to bid or pass

If open decide how the final sale is determined, once, twice, sold or going, going, gone - some advise using an auctioneer not in the league to do this.

Find a nice place to have it and enjoy. Auctions are a lot of fun.

This is all that comes mind on the basics. Do a search for fantasy football auctions, fantasy football auction strategy, etc and you'll find a bunch of auction articles. Of course there are also some pretty good threads here on the cafe as well.

Hope this helps. If I think of anything else I'll add to the post.

Not much I can add, that sums it up nicely! ;-D
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk