Cleveland's QB situation - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cleveland's QB situation

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cleveland's QB situation

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:28 pm

Still as clear as mud - not that it has any fantasy signifigance (unless ya play in a 16 team 2 QB league :-D )

Charlie Frye listed first at quarterback on Cleveland Browns depth chart

Tuesday, August 07, 2007
Tony GrossiPlain Dealer Reporter

Pressed to file a team depth chart to comply with NFL guidelines, Browns coach Romeo Crennel said he would list Charlie Frye first at quarterback and Derek Anderson second.

"I don't know what you'll read into that," he said.

You might assume from the depth chart, then, that Frye would start the first preseason game against Kansas City on Saturday night.

Then Crennel reiterated, with a smile, that he may decide the starter with a coin toss before the game.

Crennel said at the beginning of training camp that Frye had "a leg up" on the starting role based on his game experience advantage as an NFL quarterback. Now he won't even say that Frye has a leg up.

Frye actually has looked better through the first 10 days of training camp than he did in the off-season, when he had "a leg up."

Are you confused yet?

Crennel and his staff yearn for one of the quarterbacks to separate from the other and make the starting decision easier. It hasn't happened after 16 practices in OTAs, five in minicamp and 15 in training camp through Monday.

That's 36 practices and no clear-cut leader at the most important position on the field.

"Not really," Crennel said when asked if it was disappointing neither Frye nor Anderson has emerged.

"Generally in competition somebody steps ahead of the other guy. But it's not always the case. These guys are competing to win the job. Both of them operate the team. I think the team has confidence in both guys. We'll go into the preseason and see if somebody elevates a little. If not, then I'll decide who the guy's gonna be."

In fairness, it should be reported both Anderson and Frye believe they are competing at a high level and are proceeding well in orchestrating the new offense of coordinator Rob Chudzinski.

"I think we push each other, off the field in the study room and out here on the field," Frye said Monday. "I think it's making both of us better. We're both putting in a lot more time.

"When you know it's your job, you're going to push yourself because you want to be good and you want to have a winning team. But when you have somebody right on your heels fighting for a job, you're going to do things you wouldn't [have] thought you'd do. I think it's going to make the team better."

But on Sunday, Anderson failed to achieve a first down with the No. 1 offense in a two-minute drill, and Frye earned only a field goal with the No. 2s.

Earlier in the week, Anderson notched only one first down in the same drill, and Frye was intercepted in the end zone.

The absence of Brady Quinn into this mix presumably relieved Frye and Anderson of the distraction of looking over their shoulders. What Quinn's holdout really has done is given the unsigned rookie more leverage in contract talks.

Based on his performance in minicamp, Quinn wasn't going to open the season as the starter. Now the team must contemplate at which point in the season a public outcry may force in Quinn, and whether he can be made ready in training camp to contribute when needed.

This period without Quinn on hand was expected to benefit Anderson, because he generally performs better in practice situations. The surprise has been that Anderson has not separated from Frye. That in itself is a triumph for Frye, whose ability to make plays on the run is negated by the controlled practice sessions.

"When you take the orange jerseys off and people can hit us [quarterbacks], it changes the game a little bit," Frye said. "You have to make quicker decisions, be able to get the ball out of bounds if nobody's open. Just little things like that that don't make a big difference in practice but make a big difference in games."

Frye probably will get the starting call against Kansas City on Saturday. Anderson probably will finish the first half.

If Quinn isn't signed and in camp by then, it should be soon thereafter.

source: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plainde ... thispage=1
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Cleveland's QB situation

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:41 pm

Quinn signs 5 year deal now:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2964653
Brady Quinn has agreed to a five-year contact with the Cleveland Browns worth $20.2 million, with $7.75 million guaranteed, ending his holdout.

The deal could grow to $30 million over five years with incentives.

Quinn, who was on his way to Cleveland to join his teammates on Tuesday, had been working out at an athletic training facility in Arizona while his contract was being negotiated.

But Quinn, the No. 22 pick overall in the NFL draft, is unlikely to become the Browns' starting quarterback, as incumbents Charlie Frye and Derek Anderson have taken all of the snaps in training camp and are in close competition for the starting job.

Quinn's signing leaves two first-round picks -- Oakland quarterback JaMarcus Russell, the top overall selection, and cornerback Darrelle Revis of the New York Jets, the No. 14 choice -- without contracts.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mikus » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:35 pm

How long until Quinn starts? Does he get to start this year at any point?
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:48 pm

mikus wrote:How long until Quinn starts? Does he get to start this year at any point?

I dont see him getting the start till sometime around week 9 or so when the season is pretty much over..lol.. I dont see him being a fantasy impact this season at all. Personally, i'd be happy if he didnt make a single start all year long and let him learn for next year like Rivers and Palmer... but thats just me
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:58 pm

J2thez929 wrote:
mikus wrote:How long until Quinn starts? Does he get to start this year at any point?

I dont see him getting the start till sometime around week 9 or so when the season is pretty much over..lol.. I dont see him being a fantasy impact this season at all. Personally, i'd be happy if he didnt make a single start all year long and let him learn for next year like Rivers and Palmer... but thats just me

Yup me too I hate when teams throw their QB prospects to the wolves ala Joey Harrington and David Carr. Cincy and SD are perfect examples of how to groom a QB, hopefully Cleveland does the same.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby FantasyHawk » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:01 pm

I doubt he starts unless both Frye and Andersen get injured...which is entirely possible. If the season is going badly, I still doubt he starts, but will instead be substituted in to play a quarter/half at most. I personally hope our QBs stay healthy, so Quinn can sit out the year; don't want to ruin him like we did Couch.
FantasyHawk
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby onnestabe » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:33 pm

Cleveland's QB situation

...is one to be avoided?

Oh, wait, I thought we were playing some sort of complete the sentence game :-b
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:35 pm

Eh, so no more holdout for Quinn?? So much for all the recent articles about how dumb it was for Quinn to be holding out. It seems like there's been more backlash this year about rookies holding out. :-?
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RJ24VC15 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:57 pm

If they throw Quinn in there too early, they will get another 10 years of losing.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:06 am

Right now if they are dead even and neither has separated them selves I would imagine Frye still has the leg up because of experience? I like Frye, Andrerson reminds me more of a pro-typical...back-up. Quinn's the future, so who ever gets it is a just a fill-in for a couple years...best case scenario for them would to pull a Drew Brees...heck even playing like Kitna and then getting a starting job somewhere else wouldn't half bad...but I doubt either could follow even close to those footsteps.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Next

Return to Football Talk