why wait so long on a QB? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Beginner's Forum

why wait so long on a QB?

Moderator: Football Moderators

why wait so long on a QB?

Postby RB24 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:34 pm

I understand taking two RBs in the first two rounds, but why take a WR over a QB? Seems QBs would get big points considering they get 6 pts per TD. Most people on here suggest taking a QB in rds 5-7 which seems very late! Is 6 pts per TD the scoring assumption most make when giving advice? Is that what is assumed on this site when posting the mock drafts, etc?
RB24
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 81
Joined: 7 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Re: why wait so long on a QB?

Postby kyguy78 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:34 pm

It's all about value. Sure Palmer and Manning are solid QBs, but a guy like Bulger in the 5th round is going to give you very similiar numbers, two or three rounds later than Manning will go off the board. And guys like Kitna, Leinart, etc. are solid values three or four rounds later.

The dropoff at QB isn't as large as it is with RB and WR. That's why you can wait longer.
Image

"Just when you think you know the answers, I change the questions!"
kyguy78
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1616
Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Planet Earth

Re: why wait so long on a QB?

Postby J2thez929 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:41 am

kyguy78 wrote:It's all about value. Sure Palmer and Manning are solid QBs, but a guy like Bulger in the 5th round is going to give you very similiar numbers, two or three rounds later than Manning will go off the board. And guys like Kitna, Leinart, etc. are solid values three or four rounds later.

The dropoff at QB isn't as large as it is with RB and WR. That's why you can wait longer.


Exactly. If you wait on a QB, you are still going to get someone that will put up good numbers w/ 6 pts a TD. If you wait on a RB or WR, the dropoff of production is drastic in the later rounds
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8041
Joined: 6 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: C-Town, OH - Dawg Bone Country

Re: why wait so long on a QB?

Postby Marlo Stanfield » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:17 am

RB24 wrote:I understand taking two RBs in the first two rounds, but why take a WR over a QB? Seems QBs would get big points considering they get 6 pts per TD. Most people on here suggest taking a QB in rds 5-7 which seems very late! Is 6 pts per TD the scoring assumption most make when giving advice? Is that what is assumed on this site when posting the mock drafts, etc?



mod edit
Marlo Stanfield
Water Boy
Water Boy

User avatar

Posts: 73
Joined: 17 May 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Corner of Pratt and Monroe

Re: why wait so long on a QB?

Postby Jai » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:21 am

Marlo Stanfiel wrote:
NEWBIE you are a dummy


Wow that was unecessary.
Jai
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 136
Joined: 7 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Re: why wait so long on a QB?

Postby RB24 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:09 pm

Marlo Stanfield wrote:
RB24 wrote:I understand taking two RBs in the first two rounds, but why take a WR over a QB? Seems QBs would get big points considering they get 6 pts per TD. Most people on here suggest taking a QB in rds 5-7 which seems very late! Is 6 pts per TD the scoring assumption most make when giving advice? Is that what is assumed on this site when posting the mock drafts, etc?



NEWBIE you are a dummy


Why are you on the Beginner's Forum if you can't add a valuable response to beginner type questions? Surely you're not learning anything here since you already know it all. Gotta love message board tough guys. Now hurry off to Kmart Marlo and get your crayons and notebook paper. School is right around the corner. Hopefully you'll be able to stay up late enough during prime time games to watch your fantasy players.
RB24
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 81
Joined: 7 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Re: why wait so long on a QB?

Postby stomperrob » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:07 pm

With most leagues being 10 teams and only starting 1 QB, everyone can get a top 10 pick and drop of isn't as big as wth other positions.
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 138)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Re: why wait so long on a QB?

Postby stomperrob » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:09 pm

Marlo Stanfield wrote:
RB24 wrote:I understand taking two RBs in the first two rounds, but why take a WR over a QB? Seems QBs would get big points considering they get 6 pts per TD. Most people on here suggest taking a QB in rds 5-7 which seems very late! Is 6 pts per TD the scoring assumption most make when giving advice? Is that what is assumed on this site when posting the mock drafts, etc?



NEWBIE you are a dummy


That's rude and uncalled for, especially in the Beginner's Forum - please don't post in here again if that's your idea of assistance!
:-t :-t
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 138)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Re: why wait so long on a QB?

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:22 pm

As the others said, when it is all said and done there will only be about 2-3 points per game difference between the #4 QB and the #16 QB. There is virtually no difference between the #10 QB and the #15 QB. If you league has 12 teams and you start 1 QB, then the least valuable starting QB in your league would be around QB #12 and the difference between #1 and #12 will only be 4-5 points per game, unless Manning has another record setting kind of year.

Say you start 2 RB's on each team so the least valuable RB is around RB #24. The difference between the #1 RB and #24 RB will be more like 10 points per game. The difference between the #3 RB and the #24 RB will be 4-5 points per game. After RB #24, the values drop fast. The difference between RB #24 and RB #36 will be another 3-4 points per game.

"The value of a player is determined, not by the number of points he scores, but by how much he outscores his peers at a particular position." - Joe Bryant
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 987
Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football


Return to Beginner's Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 8:41 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact