Draft Strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Draft Strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft Strategy

Postby JetsJohn » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:37 pm

I have played fantasy baseball, but not football. Is there a basic overall draft strategy to FF? What positions should I be looking to fill first?
JetsJohn
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Draft Strategy

Postby kyguy78 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:40 pm

RB is the Holy Grail in fantasy football. The general rule is you want at least two solid RBs before you draft another position. There are exceptions to the rule, but that's the general rule of thumb.

"Just when you think you know the answers, I change the questions!"
kyguy78
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Patriots2007 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:47 pm

Now, that 2 RB strategy is a great one, indeed. But a lot of the times, I can find value in a 4th round guy, like Marshawn Lynch of the Buffalo Bills. I go with a strategy much like this

1 - RB -- ALWAYS. ALWAYS. ALWAYS. No, not Peyton Manning. ALWAYS RB HERE.
2 - WR -- A Marvin Harrison or Steve Smith player right here.
3 - WR/RB -- If I find good value in a young sleeper at RB here, I'll take him. Chester Taylor maybe? Could even get him later in some leagues.
4 - WR/RB -- This is a goldmine at WR. You can find Larry Johnson+Javon Walker+Roy Williams, amongst other gems here.

8 - Now is where I find a Philip Rivers-like QB. Great value in a later round.

The key rule to Fantasy Football. Always look for value. Value wins leagues. Houshmanzadeh in a 5th or 6th round is a great pick. He gets as many TD's as Chad Johnson and has an easy CB schedule.

VALUE!

Hope I helped,
Patriots2007
Patriots2007
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby JetsJohn » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:49 pm

OK, that's good to know. Are there any strategies to building a team? For example in baseball you can either stack pitching, stack hitting, or mix.
JetsJohn
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Patriots2007 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:22 pm

Stack Skill Positions (QB, RB, WR).

The rest of the positions are really late round-type deals. Every defense is about the same. Same with kickers. I got Jacksonville's defense in the 2nd to last round. Works for me. I got Matt Stover, the only Top 10 kicker in the past 4 years (believe it or not) in the last round. TE I got in like the 10th round, and it's Chris Cooley, who's a very solid TE.

PS - I got great value in Dan Haren, John Lackey, and SLEEPER: Rich Hill (Who I took late, knowing he had a terrific September of last year). I did take Halladay over Peavy :-C, and also dropped Josh Willingham early, but I'm in 1st..nothing to complain about.
Patriots2007
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Marlo Stanfield » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:20 am

JetsJohn wrote:I have played fantasy baseball, but not football. Is there a basic overall draft strategy to FF? What positions should I be looking to fill first?

NEWBIE,

draft like this

QB
QB
DST
K
K
dont worry about your RB and WR there are at least 40 RBs in the league that will play on Sundays for at least one series and more WR
Marlo Stanfield
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:50 pm

Marlo Stanfield wrote:
JetsJohn wrote:I have played fantasy baseball, but not football. Is there a basic overall draft strategy to FF? What positions should I be looking to fill first?

NEWBIE,

draft like this

QB
QB
DST
K
K
dont worry about your RB and WR there are at least 40 RBs in the league that will play on Sundays for at least one series and more WR

That's not helpful at all. This is meant to help those new to the game, not for your mockery or stupid jokes.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J2thez929 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:36 am

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:
Marlo Stanfield wrote:

NEWBIE,

draft like this

QB
QB
DST
K
K

That's not helpful at all. This is meant to help those new to the game, not for your mockery or stupid jokes.

Somebody get rid of this childish moro. Your posts are not one bit funny. Nice try through. Go back to middle school :-t

You look to fill your RBs and at least top two WR spots before turning your attention to QBs, TE, and backups. Wait until towards the end of the draft to get a defense and wait even longer for a kicker
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby johnny p » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:41 am

I mostly agree, (GO BROWNS!) but In my mock drafts, I've been finding it good to draft a solid Def. before the 4th spot receiver, same with kicker, and back up QB is and 4th WR is usually the last two picks of the draft for me.
johnny p Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 26)

Postby JetsJohn » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:44 pm

Cool, I think I've got an idea of what direction to go in. Thanks for your help everyone.
JetsJohn
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum