Draft Strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Draft Strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Draft Strategy

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:10 pm

What I typically like to do is go with RB in the first 2 rounds, WR/QB in the 3rd, and then WR/QB/TE for the next 4 or 5 rounds at least. At that point, go ahead and take backups at each of those 4 positions, and then you can grab a K and D/ST in the last few rounds of the draft.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby quitesanemax » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:15 pm

johnny p wrote:I mostly agree, (GO BROWNS!) but In my mock drafts, I've been finding it good to draft a solid Def. before the 4th spot receiver, same with kicker, and back up QB is and 4th WR is usually the last two picks of the draft for me.

With defenses, it really depends on your scoring system. In some scoring systems, good defenses are worth taking in the 6th or 7th round... Chicago, Baltimore, or NE. These are defenses that always do good.

Kickers... always wait until the late rounds with kickers. The best kicker from the previous year hardly ever has a good season that year. See Rackers as an example. Kickers are too unpredictable. Don't waste a high pick on them.
quitesanemax
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Motown Blues » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:48 pm

A couple of thoughts:

#1 What's the scoring? How many roster slots BY position are there? For instance, if you are in a Points Per Reception league, it would make sense to consider WR's in rounds 2-3. And if you stick with the advisable RB in round one, take one that catches a ton o' passes (e.g., S. Jackson, B. Westbrook, M. Lynch, etc.).

#2 Don't forget that with the increase in RBBC, there are few "workhorse" backs out there. THESE are your premiums. Stick with value (someone else mentioned that). If it's between Andre Johnson and say, Marion Barber III, i take the number one wideout over the guy who's splitting carries.

#3 Be wary of positional runs (if anything use these to your advantage: e.g., everyone starts picking DEF's in round 5, so you pluck two top-flight WR's with your #12 bookend picks).

#4 Be wary of picking on hunches before round 5-6. (Daunte Culpepper?)

#5 Don't pick a DEF until late (very seldom are championships won here, unlike REAL NFL), and take a K on your LAST pick. When Vinateiri goes in round 6, laugh. You absolutely do not need him (remember Robbie Gould).

#6 Often your strategy plays out as a draft unfolds, based on where your pick is and how others draft. If you go in with too much of a specific strategy, and are afraid to deviate, you'll make too many mistakes.

#7 Don't get panicky.
Motown Blues
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby gwilliak » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:56 am

Ok, I'm cunfused, I've played fantasy football for many years, but not for at least 5. We've always did our own scoring and rule setting. Gonna play again but this time through the internet. My confusion is how much everyone ranks RB's over QB's. I understand if QB's are getting just 3 pts per TD the difference, but in most cases they seem to be getting 6, as I will be in the new league. I definitely agree LT vs Peyton is a tough choice but past that how can people continuely choose Peyton's easy high 20's TD's possible into the 30's to one RB that may reach the high 20's. The scoring pays bonus for a pass of 50 yds the same as a run for 50, (of which a QB will have more) the only differnce is total yards bonus is 250 for QB and 75 for RB, (which LT and Peyton will reach about the same number of times).

Like I said, in the scoring system I see, how can Peyton and Carlson not be 2 of the top 3 picks????????????????????????????????

Please explain
gwilliak
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby brothermazoune » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:56 pm

One point that needs to be made for anyone new to fantasy football is: know your rules. All the advice given on this post seems, at first glance, to be really solid. However, leagues have different rules -- so if you happen to be in a league where a passing TD is worth 10 points instead of 4 or 6 (and, yes, I am in one of those leagues), then P. Manning is absolutely a number one pick.

My point is, take a look at your league: Are passing, rushing, and receiving TD's all worth the same? Are you getting points points for receptions? Do you have to play a TE each week? All of these tweaks to the rules cause ripples within a draft.

The general trend for building a good team is to take RB's, QB's and WR's in the early rounds (and usually in that order) and wait for tight ends, defenses, and kickers. But if your rules dictate a non-standard point system, you need to reassess your strategy.

As for the question as to why P. Manning and C. Palmer aren't number two and three picks in every draft, for that, you have to look at comparable value. How much greater a point spread is there between the top fantasy QB's overall scores vs, say, the Number 15 fantasy QB score (assuming that there is some run and EVERY single player chosen between your current pick and your next pick are of this position)? Last year, that would have been 162 points (using a 6pts passing TD system). The difference between the number 1 fantasy RB and the number 15 fantasy RB? 241 points. That's 70 points over a season (about 5 points a game). With RB's, you start to get diminishing returns relatively quickly, so the good ones get taken very quickly.
brothermazoune
Monday Morning Quarterback

Previous

Return to Beginner's Forum