Javon Walker - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Javon Walker

Moderator: Football Moderators

Javon Walker

Postby Stelly » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:30 am

I feel like the only person in the fantasy football world who does not have a man-crush on Javon Walker this season.

I understand that he is an extremely talented WR, but I see him in a very run heavy offense with a very young QB, and that scares me. I'm more inclined to pick a Roy Williams or even Housh or L. Evans over Walker.

Am I totally crazy?? What am I missing?
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Javon Walker

Postby molideha » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:35 am

not crazy at all...an aging rod smith on the other side means double coverage on walker will be the norm....at least 15 WR's i take before looking at walker.

good luck.
cheers,
M

no fees, cash prizes, 1 lineup, 3 ways to win at http://www.RogueFFL.com
molideha
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby mikus » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:13 am

molideha wrote:not crazy at all...an aging rod smith on the other side means double coverage on walker will be the norm....at least 15 WR's i take before looking at walker.

good luck.

I doubt Rod Smith starts opposite Javon Walker this year. Brandon Stokley is listed as the other starter right now, and a lot of people think Brandon Marshall will land that spot eventually (once he gets healthy enough). Rod Smith may not even play this year, from what I have heard.

I think people like J-Dubs so much because he once was a top-10 WR, and now he has the young Brett Favre AKA Jay Cutler throwing to him. It reminds people of Walker's great season back in Green Bay, and he still is young enough to produce for several years.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:16 am

Not crazy at all. I think the same way. ;-D

Rod Smith is also likely to start the season on the PUP list, so Javon is going to get all the attention from DBs. And I don't think Javon will be able to put up numbers near what other teams with 1 good WR have been able to put up (i.e. Lee Evans and Andre Johnson) because Denver has their running attack and a decent o-line.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby moonhead » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:22 am

hmm. no one thinks that the running game will open up the passing game? :-?
javon will get open. javon will get his. i don't see how the situation this year is any different than it was last year in the second half of the season. i'll take him. go ahead and pass on him.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby bagobonez » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:28 am

I agree. He had a decent season last year, but nothing spectacular. No reason for it to be any different this year, except Cutler seemed to favor his TE's and other WR's more than Plummer did, so that could hurt him some. He's the #1 WR on a good offense, there's no way he won't put up good numbers, I just don't expect a top 8 season out of him.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:42 am

moonhead wrote:hmm. no one thinks that the running game will open up the passing game? :-?
javon will get open. javon will get his. i don't see how the situation this year is any different than it was last year in the second half of the season. i'll take him. go ahead and pass on him.

No one is saying that he'll ignore Javon on draft day. At least no one has said that yet. :-b
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby molideha » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:47 am

philosophically, i prefer capable wideouts on teams that have poor defenses but adequate offenses and often play from behind,,,Denver is once again touted as one of the better D's in the AFC...combine this w/ a "run 1st" mentality on the O side....i'll take BOTH roy williams and calvin johnson of the lions expecting they'll be in an all-out aerial attack playing catchup in many games...beats watching the broncos run the ball the last 20 minutes of a game sitting on a lead.

good luck.
cheers,
M

no fees, cash prizes, 1 lineup, 3 ways to win at http://www.RogueFFL.com
molideha
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby J35J » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:01 am

He's 9th or 10th on my list. He'll likely add on 50+ rush yds and and rush td as well, which is nice!
J35J
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Stelly » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:03 am

beanoX3 wrote:
moonhead wrote:hmm. no one thinks that the running game will open up the passing game? :-?

No one is saying that he'll ignore Javon on draft day. At least no one has said that yet. :-b

Javon Walker's last 8 games last season:

30 rec., 415 yds, 3 TDs.

Expecting more of the same of that isn't real exciting for a guy getting drafted as high as he is.

I'm not going to completely ignore J. Walker, I just think there are better options around the same spot in the draft. I would not want him as my WR1 (which is what he is being drafted as), but would DEFINITELY take him as my 2nd WR.

Lots of people think he has top 5 potential, and I just don't see it at all. In a different offense wiht a more experienced QB, I agree, but not in Denver with Cutler being so young and inexperienced.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter