Reggie Williams listed as No.5 wideout - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Reggie Williams listed as No.5 wideout

Moderator: Football Moderators

Reggie Williams listed as No.5 wideout

Postby eagles21 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:50 am

Thought I should post this here so more people see it.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- Reggie Williams started nearly every game as a rookie in 2004. He's been sliding down the depth chart ever since.

Now, he might be on his way out of Jacksonville.

The former first-round draft pick, selected ninth overall, was listed as the No. 5 receiver on the team's depth chart released Tuesday. It was a strong indication the Jaguars have nearly given up on Williams after three disappointing seasons.

"You can't surround any quarterback with inconsistency," first-year receivers coach Todd Monken said. "You can't have guys just running around, dropping balls, not at the right depth. The first thing here is getting guys that are consistent. I've never been around any passing game that's worth a damn if you can't be in the right spot all the time and catch it.

"It seems so simple, but somehow it hasn't been simple. It should be that simple: play your (butt) off, get in the right spot, catch the thing and we'll go from there. But for some reason, that's been hard."

The Jaguars ranked 24th in the league in passing last season. Part of the problem was that quarterback Byron Leftwich missed 10 games with a broken ankle, but an even bigger concern was the play of Williams, fellow first-round pick Matt Jones and Ernest Wilford.

The trio struggled trying to pick up the slack following Jimmy Smith's abrupt retirement. They combined to catch 129 passes for 1,783 yards and 10 touchdowns, but they also dropped countless passes and contributed significantly in two losses to division rival Houston.

The Jaguars responded in the offseason by signing free agent Dennis Northcutt to a five-year, $17 million contract that included a $4.5 million signing bonus. The team also drafted speedy receivers Mike Walker (third round) and John Broussard (seventh), making training camp as competitive as ever at the position.

"We have some speed guys, some guys that can stretch the field," Wilford said. "It's something (coach) Jack Del Rio wanted to bring to our nucleus. He definitely went out there and researched and brought some guys in that are capable of stretching the field and make big plays down the field."

Williams seemed unfazed by the changes.

"I don't see it as competition," he said. "I look at it as trying to be the best Reggie can be. As long as I do that I'll be where need to be. As long as I work on me and I'm on top of my game, everything will weed out for itself."

The weeding out part may come at Williams' expense.

Monken talked about his receiving corps for 15 minutes Tuesday and said little about Williams.

He praised Northcutt and fellow starter Wilford, who sustained a mild knee sprain in practice Tuesday but should be OK. He added that Charles Sharon was in the mix with the first-team offense.

Monken also said the 6-foot-6 Jones had found his niche as a slot receiver, creating mismatches for linebackers and safeties and giving Leftwich a big target down the middle.

And even though Walker was listed behind Williams on the depth chart, it may have been because Del Rio placed most of the rookies at the bottom of the list.

"He's got natural ball skills and a natural feel for route running," Monken said of Walker, who is still recovering from a knee injury sustained in college. "Once his knee fully comes around and he's able to practice fast all the time, I think he's going to develop into a heck of a player. When that is, I don't know."

Monken did say that Williams, who has 114 catches for 1,329 yards and five touchdowns in three seasons, was one of the team's best at running after the catch.

But will that be enough to keep him on the roster?

"You're trying to fit all the pieces in the right holes," Monken said. "Is that easy? No, but it's the way to become the most efficient. ... If they don't fit some role, I don't know how you keep them. Where do you play them? Where's their spot?"
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Reggie Williams listed as No.5 wideout

Postby PMoneyTKE » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:56 am

Suprising, I didn't think he played that badly, I mean he did have Gerrard throwing to him, how good can you look? :-o
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby doublej73 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:13 am

I think its a safe bet to steer clear of ALL Jacksonville wide outs this year. Their passing offense is like the Atlanta Falcons but with an injury prone, non mobile Vick and (possibly) worse receivers.
doublej73
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby BlueBandit24 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:06 pm

PMoneyTKE wrote:Suprising, I didn't think he played that badly, I mean he did have Gerrard throwing to him, how good can you look? :-o

Garrard didn't look his way too often. In the games Leftwich played, Williams was actually pretty solid numbers wise. He had 4 TD's and about 300 yards through the first 5 games which put him at the borderline of Top 10 receivers for a 1/4 of the year. It appeared he was finally cashing in on the promise he showed until Garrard came in and the offense became conservative.

Now seeing this, I'd have to believe that the Jags are at the end of their rope with this guy. If he's behind Northcutt, Jones, Wilford, and Walker on the depth chart I have to believe he had a poor offseason. This has to be his make or break year in Jacksonville.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:53 pm

so what kind of fantasy value does this give Northcutt?
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby shaba » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:32 am

Its too earlt yet to tell..But if Willaims & Jones takea back seat...I have always liked Wilford..He or Northcutt could have decent value as #3 if they become the starters..
shaba
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 14)

Postby robnestrick » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:37 am

I have read so many conflicting reports where the WRs situation is just all over the place. Some have Wilford getting cut to starting. Others where Jones is #2 to the bubble. I'll wait until something definitive comes and a preseason ranking of WRs isn't going to do it for me.
robnestrick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:29 am

robnestrick wrote:I have read so many conflicting reports where the WRs situation is just all over the place. Some have Wilford getting cut to starting. Others where Jones is #2 to the bubble. I'll wait until something definitive comes and a preseason ranking of WRs isn't going to do it for me.

I agree with this. It's too hard to know at this point as it's all speculation.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:34 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
robnestrick wrote:I have read so many conflicting reports where the WRs situation is just all over the place. Some have Wilford getting cut to starting. Others where Jones is #2 to the bubble. I'll wait until something definitive comes and a preseason ranking of WRs isn't going to do it for me.

I agree with this. It's too hard to know at this point as it's all speculation.

True. But this is not good news for Williams. Sounds very much like they are trying to motivate him, like maybe he thinks he has arrived. Could just be smoke, but smoke clouding up the bottom of FF draft boards.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby steelerfan04 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:34 pm

I actually like Walker as a late round pick in keeper/dynasty leagues. I've read some good things about him and I think he has one of the highest ceilings of all the Jaguars WRs.
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Return to Football Talk