Stack the deck? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Stack the deck?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Stack the deck?

Postby palmtrees » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:11 am

Hey!

What are the pros and cons of attempting to draft the RB, WR and QB of the same team? I can see where you'd have to go to the bench in the bye week. But it seems like most of the team's scoring would equal FF points. Has anyone tried this approach?

Thanks for your advice.
palmtrees
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Stack the deck?

Postby Marlo Stanfield » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:16 am

palmtrees wrote:Hey!

What are the pros and cons of attempting to draft the RB, WR and QB of the same team? I can see where you'd have to go to the bench in the bye week. But it seems like most of the team's scoring would equal FF points. Has anyone tried this approach?

Thanks for your advice.

Mod edit
Marlo Stanfield
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby palmtrees » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:21 am

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

Stupid newbie

That's why it's on this thread, slick. Anything smart to say?
palmtrees
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby dream_017 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:32 am

Welcome to the cafe ;-D Don't worry, the majority are nice here, hope you stick around.

The problem with drafting all from the same team is not only bye weeks, but also you are putting all of your eggs in 1 basket, if that team has a bad game, you have a bad week and most likely lose. Another problem is that it is pretty hard to get a QB/RB/WR from the same team without reaching. There are only a handful that you would want in the first place (Indy, CIN), but it is almost impossible to get.

Link to a pretty good thread discussing QB/WR or QB/RB combos.
Last edited by dream_017 on Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby m16a » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:33 am

palmtrees wrote:That's why it's on this thread, slick. Anything smart to say?

SOrry about that guy palm. Not all the cafe is nice. But most are. First off, welcome, this place is normally great and lots of info can be obtained. To your question, the pros and cons of drafting a whole team can be something like this.

Pros: A good team will score you a TON of points that way
-You monopolize a certain group of good players
-High reward threshold

Cons:Bad week for them equals bad week for you
-On that teams bye week, you're dead that week.
-Injury to the RB or QB kills you.

Overall, I would say that stacking the deck is a bad idea. While it can pay off(and it will pay off big sometimes) it is better to have a balanced team that will not go down when one star player goes down. While it can work out, I say its better to take the safer bet than playing the odds and hoping you will get lucky. Good luck, and enjoy the cafe ;-D
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Marlo Stanfield » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:09 pm

m16a wrote:
palmtrees wrote:That's why it's on this thread, slick. Anything smart to say?

SOrry about that guy palm. Not all the cafe is nice. But most are. First off, welcome, this place is normally great and lots of info can be obtained. To your question, the pros and cons of drafting a whole team can be something like this.

Pros: A good team will score you a TON of points that way
-You monopolize a certain group of good players
-High reward threshold

Cons:Bad week for them equals bad week for you
-On that teams bye week, you're dead that week.
-Injury to the RB or QB kills you.

Overall, I would say that stacking the deck is a bad idea. While it can pay off(and it will pay off big sometimes) it is better to have a balanced team that will not go down when one star player goes down. While it can work out, I say its better to take the safer bet than playing the odds and hoping you will get lucky. Good luck, and enjoy the cafe ;-D

Well, I can only think of one team I would want QB WR RB and that the colts. But it would be hard to get all these players considering Addai will be gone in the top 6 or 7 picks. But if you did get Addai you might luck out and be able to grab PM with your 2nd round pick and then grab Wayne in the third. Harrison would be even better but he will probably be gone by your pick in the Third. But this might just be the year Wayne surpasses Marvin in TDs and Yds.

You can say the same about the Bengals(Palmer,Johnson,Johnson) but I think they are to risky.Colts on the other hand will put up stats,lots and lots of stats on a regular bases!
Marlo Stanfield
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby ZigZagMan » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:26 pm

Don't forget about the Rams.

Jackson/Holt/Bulger would be a nice combo.
ZigZagMan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Tsizzle » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:57 pm

I tried this approach last year in one of my small $ leagues....and it backfired....I went with a team that had everything going for it (or so i thought :-] ) The Miami Dolphins :-°

Ronnie Brown in the 2nd
Culpepper in the 3rd
and Chambers in the 4th

This totally backfired and my record was about 4-12 similar to the dolphins
[img]RIPsean[/img]
Tsizzle
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:42 pm

ZigZagMan wrote:Don't forget about the Rams.

Jackson/Holt/Bulger would be a nice combo.

Actually having two of three guys on one team can be really profitable with limited downside in the right circumstances. Three is probably pushing your luck.

Last year I had SJax and Holt. Holt was great early and faded after Pace got hurt and Bulger had less time in the pocket. The result.... dump offs to SJax. In our PPR league, SJax almost single-handedly carried me to the title.

Manning/Wayne
Harrison/Addai
Manning/Addai
Bulger/SJax
Bulger/Holt
McNabb/Westbrook

are just some of the combos that would be nice to have, if you could actually get both players.
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:08 pm

Ignore the guy that said stupid newbie, everyone is welcome here and I encourage you to stay. Anyway, IMO, you should go with the best player available, plain and simple. If you already have Peyton Manning and you honestly think the best player available is Reggie Wayne, go for it. The downside is that in their bye week (at least in the hypethetical I named) you are out your best QB and your best reciever. If you had Addai as well, then it becomes very difficult to win that week. However, an upside to all of them having the same bye week is that after probably losing that one week, you are in very good shape for the rest of the weeks since your best RB/QB/WR are all going to be available.

What you should take out of this post is, just go with the best player available, so you shouldn't be going out of your way to take Brady when you have Maroney, but don't pass up a steal if you already have someone on their team.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum