"Do the Opposite" Strategy results - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

"Do the Opposite" Strategy results

Moderator: Football Moderators

"Do the Opposite" Strategy results

Postby dugbrandon » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:16 pm

I just drafted with the "opposite Strategy" 6th pick 12 teams. I think this team might actually do pretty decent. The RBs have potential to do some damage, but they clearly aren't elite by any means. My starting WR are rediculous. This league has a WR/TE slot rather than having to start a TE, so I took advantage. Passing TDs are worth 6. Would you complain with this team? I think it has a chance of doing some damage, particularly if one of the DAL backs gets hurt. Lamont Jordan "could" be a steal. I really wanted brandon jackson but just missed out on him and went lamont instead. I know my starting backs aren't great, or really even good, but if they get in the end zone on occasion i should be okay. Oh, I really wish i would have remembered to take a backup QB. Before I realized I hadn't it was round 13 and I needed K, Def, and IDP. Let me know what you think.

QB McNabb Rd 4
WR Steve Smith Rd 1
WR Chad Johnson Rd 2
RB Ahman Green Rd 5
RB Deuce McCallister Rd 6
W/T Reggie Wayne Rd 3

K Olindo Mare Rd 14
Def Denver Rd 13
IDP Shawne Merriman Rd 15

Bench
Marion Barber III Rd 7
Julius Jones Rd 9
Lamont Jordan Rd 11
Shockey Rd 8
Vernon Davis Rd 10
Brandon Jones Rd 12
dugbrandon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: "Do the Opposite" Strategy results

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:14 pm

Draft isn't that bad and doesn't look as bad as I'd expect hearing WR/WR. Only thing I'm curious on, is why you drafted Shockey. He's generally in people's top5 for TEs and if your league lets you start WR/TE, wouldn't a RB or another WR been better? Couldn't TE have been drafted much later, like before Ks and DSTs?
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Heimholder » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:24 pm

I'm not sure the 6th pick in a 12 team league is a good place for "do the opposite" because man, your RBs are a little scary. I don't see this team having any edge over a "do the normal" team. Seems like it depends a lot more on luck, having questionable RBs pan out. Just my opinion.
Heimholder
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:40 pm

That draft shouldn't have worked out as well as it did because you got incredible value with MBIII and JJ in the 7th and 9th rounds. Even with that value your running backs are below par, and you'll need either CJ and Steve Smith to both be top 5 or one or two of your running backs to become top 10 for your strategy to work.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby dugbrandon » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:44 pm

I have Wayne in the TE/WR slot. He is better than any TE. I took Shockey where I did b/c I didn't see anyone better than him on the board. As for not seeing my team having an edge over a normal RB/RB strategy do they really have an edge over me? My WR, WR/TE are cleary better than anyone elses. Honestly if you draft RB/RB and one of those guys goes down, you have a big problem, and guess what? I have a good chance of snagging the backup to your stud who just got hurt off the wavier wire. Really drafting RB/RB is just as much about luck as this strategy. I don't think that using this strategy out of the 6th spot was that great, as there were some really good backs I could have taken (Addai, Parker, Rudi) but I went into this league intending to do it, just to try it out, i don't care about this team really. Will I use this strategy in my money league that I actually care about?? Probably not, but it was fun to try and I think it may be a valid. I'm not saying this strategy is better, nor am I telling you to use it. It is just a strategy that I came across and thought would be fun to try and see if it really worked.
dugbrandon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby WickedSmaat » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:45 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:That draft shouldn't have worked out as well as it did because you got incredible value with MBIII and JJ in the 7th and 9th rounds. Even with that value your running backs are below par, and you'll need either CJ and Steve Smith to both be top 5 or one or two of your running backs to become top 10 for your strategy to work.

This is what I was thinking as far as his RBs go. I would think in a competitive environment, they would have been gone a while before that even in a 12-team league. I don't like CJ as a top WR as much as going for Harrison or Holt in that situation. I'd want to guarantee 2 of the top 3 guys if I go that route. I had to do that in one of the cafe leagues here, LJ-Smith-Harrison was the starting combo. I'm more comfortable going RB/WR/WR than I am to go WR/WR but then again that is only in the top 4 picks situation. Different spots call for different measures. I would have considered Peyton at 6 depending on what was available.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby mikus » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:16 pm

Ummm ... I think you might need a backup QB. Just a suggestion ;-D
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby niblet » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:20 pm

I think you should've passed on Steve Smith with the 6th pick and taken a proven RB instead, all the while maintaining a WR/QB heavy philosophy for the ensuing rounds.
niblet
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dugbrandon » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:52 pm

niblet wrote:I think you should've passed on Steve Smith with the 6th pick and taken a proven RB instead, all the while maintaining a WR/QB heavy philosophy for the ensuing rounds.

That may have made the "opposite strategy" null and void?
dugbrandon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dugbrandon » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:53 pm

mikus wrote:Ummm ... I think you might need a backup QB. Just a suggestion ;-D

I realized that in round 13, but I still needed a K, DEF, and IDP.
dugbrandon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk