Draft Prep and Value - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Draft Prep and Value

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft Prep and Value

Postby jruiss01 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:20 pm

I've been doing this for about two years running now and i think my learning curve has greatly increased. My two questions are about draft prep and value.

I want to know what kind of prep is necessary to draft a top team (e.g. cheat sheets, research)?

Also on draft day I do become very indecisive. I tend to daft players who are younger and have more upside as opposed to a vet who is proven but waning. I wanted to know a good value measure (e.g. projected fantasy points or 3 year avg). Thoughts?

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea". - Eric Cantona
jruiss01
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Draft Prep and Value

Postby kyguy78 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:40 pm

Really, I put a lot of research into my drafts. I look at multiple rankings, I read training camp buzz, I look at the way they finished last season, etc. I then create my own cheat sheet based on all this information. It's somewhat time consuming, but I very rarely have a draft that I'm not satisfied with.

"Just when you think you know the answers, I change the questions!"
kyguy78
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stomperrob » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:53 pm

Basically you can never have too much info - check lots of rankings and projections and come up with your own and tweak them a bit based on your knowledge and gut feelings. And then keep an eye on training camp and injury reports (the Cafe is a great place for that) to keep updating your list.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:34 pm

Ditto on what the others said.

Plus, unless you are in a keeper league, focus less on a player's upside and more on his track record, at least early in the draft. League championships are rarely won in the early rounds but they can be easily lost. Go for proven reliable players early.

Most championships are won in the middle rounds. There is usually very little difference in most rankings when it comes to the top players at each position. Finding the undervalued guy in round 6 that is going to have a breakout season can carry you to a title. This is where to spend your time and identify players that everybody else is down on but is primed for a good season. Like Drew Brees last year.

When you get to the late rounds, that is the time to start thinking about players with a lot of upside but are not proven. You can't sleep too long on some of these guys, but there are always late draft picks that are set for solid seasons. Like Tony Romo last year. Not that he was Carson Palmer or anything, but he was better than half of the other QB's.
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby BigLarge » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:36 pm

I've done this for several years and spend most August nights comparing projections from websites and magazines. I actually take an average from about 8-10 sources and begin to apply our league scoring sytem to the player averages. This gives me an expected average weekly value for each player on my board. I then rank the players based on their weekly value and draft accordingly. Our league is unique in that the three traditonal positions (QB, RB, and WR) are fairly scored. In a normal draft (10 owners), it is not unlikely to see 12 RBs, 3 QBs and 5 WRs go in the first two rounds. My suggestion is to learn your scoring system inside and out. If the average ruunning back scores more points, then draft RBs early. If it is evenly scored, look for value as your turn approaches.
BigLarge
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Beginner's Forum