Draft strategy help...new to these settings - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Draft strategy help...new to these settings

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft strategy help...new to these settings

Postby socceryank » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:01 pm

I have played fantasy football for 6 years now, but never with these settings (i.e.- 2 QB's, 6 pts passing TD, etc). In standard scoring leagues, RB's obviously are essential early, but how would these settings change your draft approach?

My main questions were:
How much more aggressive you would be drafting QB's early considering we start 2 and passing TD's are 6 pts?

When do you start considering drafting IDP's? (I've never been in a league that used them).

I really appreciate any help you can give me!

Starting Lineup:
2 QB
3 WR
2 RB
1 TE
1 W/R1 Def
3 IDP

Scoring is fairly standard except for:
6 pts passing TD
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (1 pt)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (2)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
Field Goals Missed 0-19 Yards (-3)
Field Goals Missed 20-29 Yards (-2)
Field Goals Missed 30-39 Yards (-1)
Field Goals Missed 40-49 Yards (-1)
Field Goals Missed 50+ Yards (0)
socceryank
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft strategy help...new to these settings

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:40 pm

Qbs will go much quicker than normal. You want one by rd 3 in my opinion. Only 32 Qbs in the league, 2 WR min per team = 64-75. Qb's value goes up big time.

IDP - Lb's are the rbs of IDP but they get better as the team in general gets crappier. If you can start 3 lb's get 3 lb's. You want to start grabbing them in about the 8th-9th rd.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby socceryank » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:53 pm

Thanks man...just what I was looking for.

Does it make sense to grab 2 QB's early since we start 2 and passing TD's are worth 6 points? Does this propel guys like Carson Palmer in to the 2nd or 3rd round?

Great advice about IDPs; I had absolutely no idea how to approach that!
socceryank
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guru13 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:26 pm

I played in one of these like the year before last, and i think my best qb was Bledsoe, I won the league and the only reason i won was because of Larry Johnson's rediculous second half, so qbs are obviously more important than in your normal leagues, but your RBs and WRs are still who you wanna draft first, unless of course you can pick up one of the top 3 or 4 QBs for good value.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:44 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Qbs will go much quicker than normal. You want one by rd 3 in my opinion. Only 32 Qbs in the league, 2 WR min per team = 64-75. Qb's value goes up big time.

Agreed. You should see at least 6 QB's go off the board in rounds 1-2. You could see Manning and Palmer go as early as 1.03 and 1.04. After the first six or so are gone the value kind of evens out and they should trickle off a few here and there for the next couple of rounds. Most, if not all teams will have a QB by round 4-5. After that, the rest should trickle off here and there in the later rounds, but a run is likely to start anywhere from round 7-12 and the rest will be gone.

When you consider that after QB24 you get down into Tarvaris Jackson, Brody Croyle, and Charlie Frye territory, you understand the need to completely alter your traditional RB-RB-RB mentality. RB's are still huge, but QB's become almost as important.
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Football Talk