The Great Antonio Gates! and the top 10 TE overview - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Great Antonio Gates! and the top 10 TE overview

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: The Great Antonio Gates! and the top 10 TE overview

Postby maddog60 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:43 pm

deacon wrote:OK you just answered your own question.

You state "His numbers will be on par with most 2nd tier WRs if not better".

So would you draft a second tier WR in the 3rd round? I sure wouldn't!

Are you aware of the term depth? The top QBs will outshine any RB unless they're having a record setting year for RBs, but if more than 1 QB goes 1st round its quite abnormal. Why are you not advocating QB in the 3rd, they score a lot more on average than any WR you'll get there?

WRs have a ton of depth, and TEs have very little. More importantly, Gates outshines his peers by quite a bit more than the difference between taking that WR in round 3 or whoever you get in round 4. Every other potential top TE has a ton of question marks. Gates led the pack on a down year, by a healthy amount.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MeShawn » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:51 pm

FYI, Skibrett, here's the VBD. According for footballguys, Antonio Gates had his lowest VBD of the past three seasons: 65. His previous VBDs were 93 and 105 ( 8-o ). Nevertheless, 65 VBD put him only behind 14 players. He was tied at #15 overall with Bulger, Vick, and Chad Johnson. Based on VBD, Gates is worth a early 2nd round pick. And while I do not put complete faith in VBD, you should feel 100% comfortable selecting Gates in the 3rd round.
Sig courtesy of madaslives911.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:58 pm

Gates numbers last year were not that far removed from the rest of the top TE's. If you go by std Yahoo scoring, the top 5 TE's scoring were:

Gates: 139 pts = 8.7 pts/game
Crumpler: 118 pts = 7.4 pts/game
Gonzo: 115 pts = 7.2 pts/game
Heap: 105 pts = 6.6 pts/game
Cooley: 104 pts = 6.5 pts/game

Hopefully Gates' numbers are closer to his 2005 totals of 164 pts for an average of 10.3 pts/game
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby maddog60 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:18 pm

stomperrob wrote:Gates numbers last year were not that far removed from the rest of the top TE's. If you go by std Yahoo scoring, the top 5 TE's scoring were:

Gates: 139 pts = 8.7 pts/game
Crumpler: 118 pts = 7.4 pts/game
Gonzo: 115 pts = 7.2 pts/game
Heap: 105 pts = 6.6 pts/game
Cooley: 104 pts = 6.5 pts/game

Hopefully Gates' numbers are closer to his 2005 totals of 164 pts for an average of 10.3 pts/game

Even in a down year, he posted 1.3 more ppg than the 2nd best guy, which is greater than the difference between 2nd and 5th best. Considering Gates had 2 back to back years at his previous level, and that LT had a record setting year, which he's almost certain to come back down from, and that Phillip Rivers is a little more seasoned and probably more trusted to throw the ball, there's no reason for Gates not to post better numbers this year.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:43 pm

If he is there in the 5th he is mine.

I am willing to sacrafice a few points a week to grab a top WR in the 3rd, top 5 QB in the 4th and then consider Heap/Shocky/Tony G/Davis/Winslow in the 5th-7th. You will have 2 solid RB's and a decent 3rd, 2 solid WR's, A top QB, and a top 5-7 TE who will score only a few points each week less than Gates by round 7.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby deacon » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:43 am

maddog60 wrote:
deacon wrote:OK you just answered your own question.

You state "His numbers will be on par with most 2nd tier WRs if not better".

So would you draft a second tier WR in the 3rd round? I sure wouldn't!

Are you aware of the term depth? The top QBs will outshine any RB unless they're having a record setting year for RBs, but if more than 1 QB goes 1st round its quite abnormal. Why are you not advocating QB in the 3rd, they score a lot more on average than any WR you'll get there?
WRs have a ton of depth, and TEs have very little. More importantly, Gates outshines his peers by quite a bit more than the difference between taking that WR in round 3 or whoever you get in round 4. Every other potential top TE has a ton of question marks. Gates led the pack on a down year, by a healthy amount.

I was not advocating any pick. But I agree, I would take a top QB, Top WR, or second tier RB in the 3rd before I would take a TE even if it is Gates.
Bacon is the greatest meat of all!
deacon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:47 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:If he is there in the 5th he is mine.

I am willing to sacrafice a few points a week to grab a top WR in the 3rd, top 5 QB in the 4th and then consider Heap/Shocky/Tony G/Davis/Winslow in the 5th-7th. You will have 2 solid RB's and a decent 3rd, 2 solid WR's, A top QB, and a top 5-7 TE who will score only a few points each week less than Gates by round 7.

If you can get Gates in the 5th, then I wanna join that league too.
the awsome sig by soty
Syfo-Dyas
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby venus » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:33 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:

Yeah , no way is Gates available in any league(maybe a 6 teamer) in the 5th round.
venus
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:15 pm

venus wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:

Yeah , no way is Gates available in any league(maybe a 6 teamer) in the 5th round.

Exactly. Thats why I won't get him.

I did get him in the 5th in a mock earlier in the year but don't even have him in my plans this year. No value whatsoever in the 3rd, even if he gets you 3 more TD's, 100 more yds, and a couple more catches. 40 points is easy to make up by selecting a top WR there instead of a top 15 in rd 4. Everyone knows that rd 3 is where the WR run starts.

Example
top 5 wr
Holt = 93/1188/10

#15 WR
Burress = 63/988/10

There is 40 right there. And I get to build on some WR, RB, depth before I grab Heap in rd 6. No brainer for me. Let someone else grab him while I rake in the dividends.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby ampant » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:17 pm

This is a very good discussion, and you both bring up a few excellent points.

One thing neither of you are considering when comparing production amongst #1-5 at various positions . . . you are equating point production ranking to draft selection order. In other words . . . Just because an RB is the 10th one taken doesn't mean he will be 10th in points at the end of this year.

In a sense this actually supports the drafting Gates early argument, because while we may have no clue who TE #5 will be, we are all pretty sure that TE #1 will be Gates. The #1 slot at any position is the one most likely to end up near that ranking in production at the end of the year. So maybe giving up a WR2 to get the #1 overall TE does make sense, because the #1 TE is much more likely to be #1 or 2 in production than the #8 WR is to be ranked 8th in production overall. (*of course, the #8 WR could be ranked higher or lower)

Personally though, I wouldn't consider Gates until the 4th, and even then I still may not take him, as my league starts 3 WRs and 2 RBs, so I still feel safer locking down a solid non-RBBC back than drafting a premiere TE.

Just my thoughts

*NOTE* I posted this after reading the first page. Didn't see the second page until after I posted. But the basic premise of my argument still applies though. Fortunately I think somebody will en dup drafting Gates way before I would consider taking him, so my problem is solved.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk