Which waiver system is better? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Which waiver system is better?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Which waiver system is better?

Postby TomBrooklyn » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:17 am

biju wrote:We have a variation of #1, but picking up someone with your waiver pick costs more than a regular add/drop.
What does it cost, and what is the difference between a "regular add/drop" and picking someone off the waiver wire and dropping a player to make room for him?
TomBrooklyn Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:12 am

i prefer #2.

one drawback to #1 is that a strong team could lose week 1 and have the 1st WW pick, and week 1 seems to be when a lot of position battles get sorted out. this is especially relevant for leagues that dont allow waivers between the draft and week 1

a blind bid system is a 3rd option and probably the most "fair" but MFL is the only software i know of that supports it (Sportsline might...maybe others as well)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:38 am

The 1 major gripe I have about the last place getting 1st waivers each week is your awarding the owner who is in last place and punishing the first place owner...So because a guy put together a good team that means he should have no right to ever pick up a waiver claim? If your consistently a top 3 or 4 team all year you will never get to pick up any meaningful player no matter how early he knew about the guy...Why not just give last place in the draft 1st waivers, this his one reward for picking last in the draft, but from that point it goes in order, you use your #1 waiver you go back to 12th regardless of position...That insist each team will get a crack at a waiver claim at least at some point if their patient no matter how good they are.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby shagworth » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:37 pm

LS2throwed wrote:The 1 major gripe I have about the last place getting 1st waivers each week is your awarding the owner who is in last place and punishing the first place owner...So because a guy put together a good team that means he should have no right to ever pick up a waiver claim? If your consistently a top 3 or 4 team all year you will never get to pick up any meaningful player no matter how early he knew about the guy...Why not just give last place in the draft 1st waivers, this his one reward for picking last in the draft, but from that point it goes in order, you use your #1 waiver you go back to 12th regardless of position...That insist each team will get a crack at a waiver claim at least at some point if their patient no matter how good they are.

I totallly agree. Its not my fault if you missed the draft and had to auto-pick and have a crap team. As far as having a lot of players fall pray to injury, that just how fantasy goes. I've been playing FF 3 years and never got the first pick. I know if I do next year, and take LT, that will be the year he has a major injury.
Props to soty for the sig!
shagworth
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby spodog » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:16 pm

spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:24 pm

TomBrooklyn wrote:
biju wrote:We have a variation of #1, but picking up someone with your waiver pick costs more than a regular add/drop.
What does it cost, and what is the difference between a "regular add/drop" and picking someone off the waiver wire and dropping a player to make room for him?

I should first note that ours is certainly a variation of #1, but not really the same thing. First, we set only the first week with the results and after that it just rolls the way a "normal" waiver system works. But our add/drops cost a dollar and using your waiver for a player costs an extra $1 for a total of $2. It's not really much of a penalty, but it's enough to make people really think about it some and it sweetens the transaction pot at the end of the year.

;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby 2ksports » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:48 am

what's the cap?

What if 2 people bid the max? Are the bids handled via messageboard?
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Retet » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:35 am

I know I'm probably in the minority in this, but I like first come, first serve. No waivers, no automated lists, no mechanized egalitarianism. . . . I've been in waivers leagues, and I find the systematic methods of waivers deaden the rush of acquiring a flash-in-the-pan free agent and make watching the games for injured players or unexpected stars far less exciting.

So I say -- free market system! Go capitalism! :-) :-)
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby spodog » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:35 pm

2ksports wrote:

what's the cap?

What if 2 people bid the max? Are the bids handled via messageboard?

CAP = set the cap to a level that is appropriate for you league. leagues with high entry fees will have higher caps.

There is no max for a single bid in a well designed bidding system. The only max is the remaining amount on that owners bidding balance.

If 2 people bid EXACTLY the same amount, then the owner who submitted one of the high bids earlier gets the nod.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:40 pm

Retet wrote:I know I'm probably in the minority in this, but I like first come, first serve. No waivers, no automated lists, no mechanized egalitarianism. . . . I've been in waivers leagues, and I find the systematic methods of waivers deaden the rush of acquiring a flash-in-the-pan free agent and make watching the games for injured players or unexpected stars far less exciting.

So I say -- free market system! Go capitalism! :-) :-)

The bidding system mimics capitalism much more than a FCFS system. In a bidding system, you put your money where your mouth is.

Agree with you that almost all waivers systems blow. Thats why I am a fan of the bidding system.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk