Man bitten by beheaded snake!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Man bitten by beheaded snake!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Man bitten by beheaded snake!!!

Postby stomperrob » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:26 pm

Bite from beheaded rattlesnake sends man to hospital
August 10, 2007

ASSOCIATED PRESS

PROSSER, Wash. -- Turns out, even beheaded rattlesnakes can be dangerous.

That's what 53-year-old Danny Anderson learned as he was feeding his horses Monday night, when a 5-foot rattler slithered onto his central Washington property, about 50 miles southeast of Yakima.

Anderson and his 27-year-old son, Benjamin, pinned the snake with an irrigation pipe and cut off its head with a shovel. A few more strikes to the head left it sitting under a pickup truck.

"When I reached down to pick up the head, it raised around and did a backflip almost, and bit my finger," Anderson said. "I had to shake my hand real hard to get it to let loose."

His wife insisted they go to the hospital, and by the time they arrived at Prosser Memorial Hospital 10 minutes later, Anderson's tongue was swollen and the venom was spreading. He then was taken by ambulance 30 miles to a Richland hospital to get the full series of six shots he needed.

The snake head ended up in the bed of his pickup, and Anderson landed in the hospital until Wednesday afternoon.

Mike Livingston, a Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife biologist, said the area where the Anderson's live is near prime snake habitat. But he said he had never heard of anyone being bit by a decapitated snake before.

"That's really surprising but that's an important thing to tell people," he said. "It may have been just a reflex on the part of the snake."

If another rattlesnake comes along, Anderson said he'll likely try to kill it again, but said he'll grab a shovel and bury it right there.

"It still gives me the creeps to think that son-of-a-gun could do that," he said.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Man bitten by beheaded snake!!!

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:32 pm

Note to self: Leave rattlesnake heads alone, even if detached from its body.

8-o
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:07 pm

OK, so was nobody else aware of this? It's the natural reflexes like the way a chicken runs around after you cut off its head. If you kill a snake, wait until the snake stops moving and BURY THE HEAD! I have even heard of people picking up snake heads quite a while after the snake was dead and there is venom stored in the fangs and them having the same effects of getting bit.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby oakraid706 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:12 am

Does Charles Barkley keep talking even if his head comes off?
oakraid706
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Bravos of Steel » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

oakraid706 wrote:Does Charles Barkley keep talking even if his head comes off?

for some reason, this cracked me up :-b
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to General Talk