Choosing the Proper Fantasy Football Team Name - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Article Discussions

Choosing the Proper Fantasy Football Team Name

Moderators: daullaz, Football Moderators

Choosing the Proper Fantasy Football Team Name

Postby WebHamster » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:07 am

This thread contains comments on Michael Gogel's Article "Choosing the Proper Fantasy Football Team Name", which was posted in the Cafe's Articles section on August 11, 2007. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

Pick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 204)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Choosing the Proper Fantasy Football Team Name

Postby Madison » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:09 am

Solid read that got chuckles from me. :-b ;-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WillAlaska » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:54 am

I agree with almost everything you wrote, but for me -- over the last 2 FF seasons -- I always blank on a name. The trusty rusty Alaska Assissins is played out after using it for 4 years... and wasn't all too original to begin with (Trajan Langdon/Duke/Cavaliers/Clippers) and my state isn't exactly bursting with geographical options.

This year I was thinking of using the fist name of my favorite musician (Ozzy) as the mascot for my hometown (Anchorage).

Anchorage Ozzies.

Thoughts?

The fallback is Alaska 77s after the reason we all live here: the oil pipeline first started pumping billions of $ into the state coffers then, not to mention the creation of the yearly dividend to all residents 3 years later. Without it, the population would be half (high estimate) and I wouldn't be here.

I know, I think too much. See? Neither is campy enough for FF.

Any advice from fellow FFers is welcome. Cheers, AKW
WillAlaska
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Postby tabmoc72 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:38 am

I chose shock value for mine. The Surry County Dogfighters. It helps when me and all the other members live in Atlanta.
tabmoc72 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mrdeadlier » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:02 pm

I change my team's name every year. I guess I just have too many ideas (not they're all that great, mind you) and with typically a different roster, each team has its own identity. I've gone for all types, the movie references, local geographic references, campiness, etc.

Some samples from the past:
Buffalo Stampede (I'm a proud Buffalonian)
San Diego Surf (Eddie Vedder thought up the lyrics to several songs on the "Ten" album while surfing off the coast of SD)
Mos Eisley Scum and Villainy (nod to Star Wars)
Holy Hand Grendades of Antioch (nod to funniest movie of all time)
Black Mesa Resonance Cascades (nod to best video game ever, Half-Life)

This year I've got:
Nassau Sharks (named after my street address and favorite animal)
Cool New People (goofy MySpace reference)

Last year I played in a league with a guy who named his team "Superdome Rape Victims" :-/ ... yeah, I guess there's something to be said for tact and good taste in your name as well.
mrdeadlier
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby mmy312 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:58 pm

Been playing ff for the past 5 years and each year I happen to be the only girl in the league. Even though I end up talking my way in and acting like I've got bigger b's than just about every guy, I feel like I owe it to the boys who "allow" me to play along with them. My way of doing this is to give them something to talk & or laugh about...my team name - Dickless Wonders! 2nd place last year...not so bad:)
mmy312
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby iamgregg » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:03 pm

Good article, I hate it when people put no thought or creativity into their names. I mean, it's your identity for the entire season, make it count. My team names (fantasy, pickems, survival, salary cap) with explanations...

Pacman Stole My Dots
Obvious pun mocking Pacman Jones' supsension due to brushes with the law

Vick's Secret Stash
Reference to the water bottle incident.

Sexy Rexy Pick Pocket
Using the nickname given to Rex for throwing it long too often, resulting in picks from the pocket.

Kansas City Shuffle
Pop culture reference. The song/con featured in Lucky Number Slevin and an old defensive play used by the Chiefs.

TO's Body Odour
Should be easy to guess.

Smell My Cheese-Heads
Only fans of Alan Partridge will get this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6NUoiW-0wBc

Stop! Anytime!
Combination of MC Hammer and Devin Hester's nickname

Lucky Number Ocho Cinco
Self explanatory.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby PMoneyTKE » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:26 am

Another good read ;-D Keep up the good work!
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pirater4u » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:40 pm

My favorites thus far

Mos Eisley Scum and Villainy - Thus bringing together both us Star Wars Nerds and us FFB Dorks.. EXCELSIOR!!!
Trusty Rusty Alaska Assasins - Hysterical to say.. even if you don't live in Alaska. In fact, I think it even becomes more funny when you offer no explination to those interested in it's origins.
Cool New People - Love the MySpace reference... I would even go with "New Friend Request"
Sexy Rexy Pick Pockets - Another great one just to say... Even better if you have Grossman on your team or are from Chicago. Or your name is Rex and you consider yourself "sexy" and you are a common thief.
Stop! Anytime! - Although I would write it like this to ensure the proper pronunciation and nostalgic early 90's reference = "Stop!...Anytime!"
Dickless Wonders - I love it because it's so degrading to the guys in the league. I would also accept "Sitting While Peeing Allstars" and "My eyes are up here." If you really want to get them though... you should name your team something Baseball related.. even something generic "The Homerun Hitters"...then play dumb like you thought that was a football term for tackling real hard or something. That way when you win the league or even come in second, you'll frustrate the rest of the league on so many levels. Perhaps even get one of them to swear off FFB for life and wise up and ask you out on a date, you wonderful catch, you.

Here's a few I have either come up with or seen at one point or another

Titties and F Language - Honestly... the story behind the origin of this one is great, but besides going into that whole thing... just look at it! It's a perfect name really.
I Just Wanna Kiss U - a tribute to Broadway Joe... classy guy!
Atlanta Pitbull Matadores
The Benoit Bow Flexors - Too soon?
The Tone Rangers - "Gary, you can't take a pitch pipe out of someone's hand when they're in the middle of a very funky groove"

The Obligatory Simpsons references team names:
Thrillhouse - Of course if you are a true Simpsons nerd, you realize the correct spelling would be "Thrillhou"
The Androids Dundgen - "No banging your head on the display case please, it contains a very rare Mary Worth in which she has advised a friend to commit suicide. Thank you."
Bovine University
Blabbermouth: The Jerky Doll for Jerks
Busty Sinclair
Hooty McBoob
Chesty LaRue
The Goggles Do Nothing

That's all I can think of right now... Keep 'em coming.
"Now...I have...a machine gun...Ho...Ho...Ho." - Hans Gruber
pirater4u
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Cafe Writer

Postby stick419 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:53 pm

Cleveland Steamers
stick419
Cheerleader
Cheerleader