Bears vs. Texans pre-season - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Bears vs. Texans pre-season

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bears vs. Texans pre-season

Postby Ek » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:50 pm

Didn't see a thread for it, so I started this one. IMO

- Grossman looked decent, but didn't really try anthing deep.
- Greg Olsen was open a lot and had a few catches, could be the real deal.
- Mark Anerson (Bears DE) was everywhere on the last drive.
- Ahman Green looks really washed up. It's just a few drives, but still. Also, Benson ran over someone on one carry, but for the most part looks a lot slower than Thomas Jones.
- Didn't really see Devin Hester with the first team offense, although as I was typing this he made a really nice diving catch.
- Robbie Gould missed a 52-yarder. He's still a good option but range should still be an issue this year.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Bears vs. Texans pre-season

Postby FatFoot » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:26 am

It's preseason. You aren't going to see anything that significant. There was a lot of Hester with the first team, as a matter of fact... just not a lot of plays to him. Grossman spread his throws out to 5 targets... I think he only threw like 10 times.

Similarly, it'd be a mistake to try to determine Green's value in a preseason game. He only ran a handful of times. We don't know what he'll be like this year, but "washed up" doesn't seem like an obvious assessment.

Benson had over 4 ypc average. He IS faster than Jones. Again, you're putting too much value on a preseason game.

Gould's career long is something like 49 yards. Range should be an issue? That kick had the distance. It just wasn't straight enough. Range has not been an issue.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Ek » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:23 am

You are definitely right about it being the pre-season - I don't think most of the players who are expected to have fantasy value had more than a few plays ran for them.

I will say that later that night I did remember that Hester was being used in 3, 4, and 5 WR sets with the first team, Grossman just didn't throw one to him. I don't think he will have value as a WR in the traditional sense, but if you get points for return yards, or you can use him as an IDP, he could be very useful.

I'm just saying what I saw about Ahman. I've seen him play a lot and he's looked better in the past. That said, it is the first pre-season game, and the Bears are better than most of the run Ds they will face.

Thomas Jones IS faster than Ced Benson, or at least quicker in his cuts. That doesn't necessarily mean he's a better running back; time will tell.

As far as range being an issue with RG, he does have the shortest range of any good kicker in the NFL. It doesn't translate into a lot of misses usually, because Lovie Smith knows this and usually punts or goes for it from that range during the season. This was the case last year, and I didn't see any reason this is going to change, so if you get bonuses for 50-yarders, you shouldn't expect to get many of them from Robbie (who I still expect to be a top-5 kicker).
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby FatFoot » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:45 am

Ek wrote:Thomas Jones IS faster than Ced Benson, or at least quicker in his cuts. That doesn't necessarily mean he's a better running back; time will tell.

There's a difference between fast and quick. TJ is quick. NOT FAST AT ALL. Fast RBs don't regularly get tackled from behind. As far as TJ being quicker... not according to Fred Miller. He said on an interview on 670 AM this weekend that Cedric is quicker to the outside, and hits a hole faster and harder. The reason you're thinking TJ is quicker, is because Benson doesn't try to dodge as much as he tries to smash.

As far as range being an issue with RG, he does have the shortest range of any good kicker in the NFL. It doesn't translate into a lot of misses usually, because Lovie Smith knows this and usually punts or goes for it from that range during the season. This was the case last year, and I didn't see any reason this is going to change, so if you get bonuses for 50-yarders, you shouldn't expect to get many of them from Robbie (who I still expect to be a top-5 kicker).

I really don't think we have any indicator on what RG's actual range is. I don't think it's a studied fact that he's got the shortest range of any "good kicker" in the NFL. You haven't seen enough of him. What's the percentage IN GENERAL, of 50+ yard FG attempt success? Gould kicked far enough. How about the Pro Bowl skills competition? He showed some serious leg there. Just because Smith doesn't want to take unnecessary chances, doesn't mean that Gould doesn't have it in him. I'd much rather see the Bears kick from the 20 or 30 than the 40, as a FF owner. I had Gould on my squad last year. Did his range hurt him in FF points? I don't think so.

I'm not trying to argue with you. I just think that these prognostications are a bit out of whack.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby sfgiantsfan8291 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:51 am

That was a tough loss for the Texans, I am sad.
sfgiantsfan8291
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting