Waiting to atleast round 8 on a QB. Good or Bad ? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Waiting to atleast round 8 on a QB. Good or Bad ?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Waiting to atleast round 8 on a QB. Good or Bad ?

Postby bulger2holt » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:35 pm

I think there are good qb's that can be had late in this draft, like Rivers, Romo, Rothlisberger, Leinart, Lossman, Garcia, Delhomme, Eli to name a few. What are your thoughts about waiting this long and stocking up on rbs and wrs and passing on the better qb's ?
bulger2holt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Waiting to atleast round 8 on a QB. Good or Bad ?

Postby knapplc » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:05 pm

Rex Grossman just went in the 17th round in a draft I'm in, and I think he'll do as well or better than all of the QBs you just named.

So yeah, I think you can get a good QB late.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby zirco33 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:48 pm

By stocking up on 2 top RBs, a good backup RB, 3WRs and possibly grabbing Gates or a top tier Defense, then 8th round is fine for a QB. Grossman is a great example of a QB that could help win you a championship. He was my backup when McNabb went down last year and filled in quite nicely. He is way under valued this year.
zirco33
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby maddog60 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:31 am

zirco33 wrote:By stocking up on 2 top RBs, a good backup RB, 3WRs and possibly grabbing Gates or a top tier Defense, then 8th round is fine for a QB. Grossman is a great example of a QB that could help win you a championship. He was my backup when McNabb went down last year and filled in quite nicely. He is way under valued this year.

Grabbing a defense anywhere before round 15 is a bad idea.

That said, I wholly advocate taking QBs late. My best draft from last year was one where I waited till the 8th round. Snagged a guy named Drew Brees with Jon Kitna as my backup.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bobbing_headz » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:43 am

I'll grab a QB 8th+ any day. Heck, I do it in almost all my draft. I have Big Ben, Romo and Delhomme all ranked in the top 12. I believe that at least 3 or 4 if not more of the top 10 QBs every year are ones drafted after the 7th or 8th. I'll gladly stock up on 3-4 RBs, 3-4 WRs and then grab my QB.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:40 am

Sure, wait until round 8, but what happens if Carson Palmer is still available in round 4? What if Brees is still available in round 6? What if Bulger is still available in round 7? Keep in mind that you can wait on a QB, but take one if you can get excellent value.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:03 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:Sure, wait until round 8, but what happens if Carson Palmer is still available in round 4? What if Brees is still available in round 6? What if Bulger is still available in round 7? Keep in mind that you can wait on a QB, but take one if you can get excellent value.

;-D

I was just about the post the same thing.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:12 am

biju wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:Sure, wait until round 8, but what happens if Carson Palmer is still available in round 4? What if Brees is still available in round 6? What if Bulger is still available in round 7? Keep in mind that you can wait on a QB, but take one if you can get excellent value.

;-D

that makes 3 of us...dont have a set plan...if there's a guy who's fallen that's great value and none of the remaning RB/WR excite you much over who you could get with your next pick, grab a QB in Rd 5 (or whatever)

personally, i feel pretty comfortable with my top 10 QB's...after that, it gets a little dicey and i'll want a QB2 pretty quick
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BGbootha » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:15 am

biju wrote:

;-D

Yeah never ever go into a draft with a concrete plan, I have seen a few people go into drafts and think Rb/Rb/WR/RB/Wr/Wr/TE/Wr/QB or something like that. Always look for value and draft accordingly.

That being said, I like waiting until the 8/9/10 for a QB, one thing I have been doing is going QB in two of those rounds 8-10.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby mtsu69 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:59 pm

Not to sound like a broken record but agree as well.....Unless you are in a league that heavily favors QBs QBs are almost like Defenses....if you cant get the top 2 or 3 better to wait
mtsu69
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk