Waiting to atleast round 8 on a QB. Good or Bad ? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Waiting to atleast round 8 on a QB. Good or Bad ?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Waiting to atleast round 8 on a QB. Good or Bad ?

Postby boston fan » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:14 pm

I am thinking about waiting until the 8th to take two high-upside sleeper qb's. between the two i shuld be able to get at least one top ten qb. however if a top qb falls he won't fall past me
boston fan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guru13 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:52 pm

maddog60 wrote:
zirco33 wrote:By stocking up on 2 top RBs, a good backup RB, 3WRs and possibly grabbing Gates or a top tier Defense, then 8th round is fine for a QB. Grossman is a great example of a QB that could help win you a championship. He was my backup when McNabb went down last year and filled in quite nicely. He is way under valued this year.

Grabbing a defense anywhere before round 15 is a bad idea.

That said, I wholly advocate taking QBs late. My best draft from last year was one where I waited till the 8th round. Snagged a guy named Drew Brees with Jon Kitna as my backup.
ya I think I might've heard of him before. :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby benb18a » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:14 pm

I just wait for good values when it comes to picking QBs. Like some have said, I would rather draft two in the late-middle rounds, then one in the first five rounds and one in the last five. I would rather have a decent platoon than use an early pick and risk having a bottom second tier guy for the rest of the year in the event of an injury to my QB1.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:45 am

I almost always wait on QBs. The reason that people take RBs in the first two rounds is that there is a large number of tiers and great differences between production among those tiers. In today's game, there are not that many RB situations that are featured backs without question marks.

For QBs, I feel that there are fewer tiers. There are just a few QBs that will consistenly put up big numbers (Peyton, Carson, Bulger, Brees?). After those guys, the difference between the next 10 QBs in negligible.

Let's take a look at Tom Brady. His ADP is ESPN leagues is 19.4, better than Chad Johnson, MJD, Holt...and just below Travis Henry and Marvin Harrison. By taking Brady there, you're sacrificing at RB and WR. If you took Kitna at ADP 100, you could have Chad Johnson at 19. The WRs are 95 are Isaac Bruce, Vincent Jackson, Bernad Berrian, etc. Last year, I have Kitna at 13.56 PPG and Brady at 13.44 PPG. Tom Brady and Isaac Bruce or Kitna and Chad Johnson (or MJD)?

Personally, I stock up on RBs and WRs in the early rounds. When you have several solid RBs and two top WRs, an average QB will win it for you. I won a league last year that started 2 QBs drafting Culpepper and Volek as my top two (ended up starting VY, Pennington, and Losman most of the time). Top 4 picks were SJax, Holt, Roy Williams, FWP, Driver.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bulger2holt » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:52 pm

Last year in a 12 team league I took Kitna in rd 10. I went SJax, FWP, Driver, Chambers, Maroney. Finished 12-2 but lost in rd 1 of the playoffs to the dude who had LT. I was in first place so I could never upgrade on the ww. But my point is I waited to the 10th for a qb. Probably do the same this year.
bulger2holt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk