Pairing up two low ADP Quarterbacks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pairing up two low ADP Quarterbacks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pairing up two low ADP Quarterbacks

Postby biju » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:04 pm

As many people have discussed on this board, there is a solid selection of QBs that are going relatively late in drafts. I personally would not be comfortable with taking just one of these late round guys without immediately taking another "just in case". Of course, knowing when one QB has a bad matchup and your #2 has a good matchup would be crucial here, and not entirely impossible to predict.

Has anybody done the homework to figure out what pairs of late-round QBs have at least one good matchup each week?

Example:
In this example I used the Cafe's ranking of Defenses to choose the bottom 15, and AntSports to choose two QBs getting picked past round 10

Jacksonville and Baltimore (ADP: Steve McNair: 11.11, Byron Leftwich: 12.11)are two QBs that have good matchups combined the entire year. Jacksonville and Baltimore only play three top 10 defenses this year, while Jacksonville plays 11 games against bottom 15 defenses and Baltimore plays 8 games against bottom 15 defenses. (For the record, these were the first two teams/QBs I picked so there could be better matchups).

Between these two teams there are only two weeks where they aren't playing a bottom 15 defense, and both of these week are against non-top 10 teams (for those keeping track at home these are Jacksonville at Tampa Bay (week 8) and Jacksonville at Pittsburgh (week 15)). I also particularly liked the fact that these teams both are considered to have two of the best defenses (plenty of stops/short field cases) in the league.

I'm sure there are more combinations that work well or better (Jacksonville will probably match up pretty well with most other teams). As a side note, it might be a better idea to take the teams with bad defenses AND offenses out of the equation since they'll likely be getting beat and the 4th quarter will be mostly running the clock out. At any rate, it's never a bad thing for your QB to be in the red zone.

Thoughts?
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Pairing up two low ADP Quarterbacks

Postby Jimboozie » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:12 pm

Nice research. However, I'd have to set the odds of both Leftwich and McNair staying healthy all year, at 1 to 50. :-D
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:18 pm

Jimboozie wrote:Nice research. However, I'd have to set the odds of both Leftwich and McNair staying healthy all year, at 1 to 50. :-D

Yeah, I actually chose those two teams based on the defenses within their division. After I had written all of this up I thought there's no way in hell I'd draft these two guys. But at the same time I was just hoping to get the ball rolling and for someone else to look into it at well. I'm still working on it myself as there much be better folks to choose from.

:-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Max Power » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:29 pm

I Think you can stike gold using this stategy if...you make Jake Delhomme one of those QBs. The guy has bounce back year written all over him. I think he will be a top 8 QB by years end, and you can get him in the last couple rounds
Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourty percent of people know that.
Max Power
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby biju » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:32 pm

Just did a few more:

J.P. Losman (ADP: 11.11) looks like he might have a tough time this year. He has 9 games (one in week 17) played against top 10 defenses and only 3 against bottom 15 defenses (one of which is week 15).

Jake Delhomme (ADP: 10.05) has a fairly good schedule. He has only two games against top 10 defenses (although one is week 16!) and 9 against bottom 15 teams.

Alex Smith (ADP: 10.09) has only two games against top 10 defenses and 8 (one in week 17) against bottom 15 defenses.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby theimitator » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:30 pm

Great idea ;-D

When you mean bottom 15 defenses, are you thinking pass defenses, or total defenses?

Also, another wrinkle to consider are QBs on teams with bad defenses that play bad pass defenses. That would heighten the chances of huge games, no? 8-o
14 Team w/FLX .5PPR
The Porkchop Express
QB: Carson Palmer, Vince Young
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew, Matt Forte, Reggie Bush, Tim Hightower
WR: Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, Jabar Gaffney
TE: John Carlson, Ben Watson
PK: R Gould
TD: NO, TB
theimitator
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby RJ24VC15 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:27 pm

I like to pair up the 2 later round QB's but I go for who I think is better, can't worry about matchups because defenses change so much from year to year.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby Kilroy » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:01 pm

I waited on QBs in a draft today and ended up with Delhomme and Lefty, so in my case at least I reckon we'll see.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:20 pm

can someone try and fit two of these QBs together based on week by week def rankings. trying to ensure a good matchup each week. i like this idea, as getting 2 late rd QBs is my strategy
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Football Talk