3 questions for commisioners - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

3 questions for commisioners

Moderator: Football Moderators

3 questions for commisioners

Postby bmault » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:16 am

1. Is your league run by one person or by a committee? Does it work well?
2. Are rule/scoring changes voted on?
3. How are trades approved? (example...should a trade be vetoed simply because one team would be stronger on paper? Assuming a team is not throwing in the towel, is there a problem with trades as long as both teams agree? If a team's #1 WR (smith) goes down first game and he trades away his #1 RB (like Rudi, FWP) to the guy who has SJAX for his #1 WR (C Johnson), is that "ok"? Hope you followed that!

Thanks
2009 Nothing
2008 Playoffs
2007 Nevermind
2006 Champ
2005 Champ
bmault
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 3 questions for commisioners

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:46 am

This probably should be in Commish Corner.

1. I've actually never been in a league run by more than 1 person. I haven't had any problems with this.

2. I'm about half and half. Actually just commishing a league right now where I've run rules/scoring by the league and taken their comments. There are good and bads for voting. The good is that everybody gets a say, and the rules will be familiar to everybody. The bad is that it's sometimes impossible to get a clear cut majority agreeing on rules.

3. I've made it a point to always make sure votes can only be vetoed by the Commish. The way I see it, if trades are lopsided I won't veto them. My job isn't to protect owners from being ripped off. If both teams accepted the trade that obviously means they both agree. Why should I take that away from them?

Hope that helps.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:01 am

bmault wrote:1. Is your league run by one person or by a committee? Does it work well?

One person. Runs fine.

bmault wrote:2. Are rule/scoring changes voted on?

Rule/scoring changes are proposed and voted on before the draft. There are no changes after the draft starts.

bmault wrote:3. How are trades approved? (example...should a trade be vetoed simply because one team would be stronger on paper? Assuming a team is not throwing in the towel, is there a problem with trades as long as both teams agree? If a team's #1 WR (smith) goes down first game and he trades away his #1 RB (like Rudi, FWP) to the guy who has SJAX for his #1 WR (C Johnson), is that "ok"? Hope you followed that!

Trades go through when approved by both owners. There's no veto process. Keep in mind that this is a group of good friends and good ff players. In the few years we've done this, we've never had a problem. Then again, there haven't been many trades (usually about 1-3 per season)...everyone always overvalues their players.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby allmotorjunkie » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:48 am

I am the commish of my 10 team league of close friends and family.

bmault wrote:
1. Is your league run by one person or by a committee? Does it work well?

The league is run by me and only me. Its been 5 years and every year the same people are anxious to get back into my league. I try to add something extra every year to make the league a bit exciting. For example, last year to make sure everyone plays their best all the way thru the season....I proposed the last 4 place finish take the league out for a round of beers. The league voted and it was unanimous. I ended up being one of the last 4 finishers. This year...I am proposing weekly bonus for best performance. FOr instance, week 3 will be best WR performance gets $20 awards. The awards are taken from the pot. Lets see how this goes.

bmault wrote:
2. Are rule/scoring changes voted on?

Rule changes are ALWAYS voted on. I give everyone in the league a chance to participate in the decision making.

bmault wrote:
3. How are trades approved? (example...should a trade be vetoed simply because one team would be stronger on paper? Assuming a team is not throwing in the towel, is there a problem with trades as long as both teams agree? If a team's #1 WR (smith) goes down first game and he trades away his #1 RB (like Rudi, FWP) to the guy who has SJAX for his #1 WR (C Johnson), is that "ok"? Hope you followed that!

This subject has always been up for debate. After years of trying out different methods, it comes down to a commish trade review. I always am fair when both teams are trying to improve themselves. When a trade involves the commish, an elected league member makes the decision. This person is elected prior to the start of the draft. That way...there is no misunderstanding and conflict of interest when the commish is involved in trades.
allmotorjunkie
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Football Talk