Live Draft question... kind of dumb, but I need to ask - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Live Draft question... kind of dumb, but I need to ask

Moderator: Football Moderators

Live Draft question... kind of dumb, but I need to ask

Postby FingerDemon » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:32 am

This site looks awesome and you were so kind to other FF beginner questions, I thought I could ask this. I have a crazy schedule and very little blocks of uninterrupted time. I did a free Auto-Pick draft last year (my first FFL). But this year I'd like to do a live draft. But I can't find any info anywhere giving me any idea how long they take online. Any ballpark estimate or is it just it takes as long as it takes. I don't want to get stuck having to walk away mid-draft during the day. But I can't afford to stay up all night either.

Is auto-pick the best option if you don't have more than a couple of hours to spare? Or is the live draft slow enough that you can just devote a few minutes to it a few times an hour and still do other stuff?

Any advice or info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry about the nickname, I use it in online FPS games and it is also a geeky reference to a Unix process. Out of context it sounds kind of creepy, but I don't want to have to create a bunch of different internet nicknames.
FingerDemon
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Live Draft question... kind of dumb, but I need to ask

Postby kinghill » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:26 pm

I've always done in-person live drafts, but last year was my first time doing a live online draft. We used Yahoo.

There is a time limit for each pick, so to determine the max amount of time the draft will take that's easy. I think our time limit was 2 minutes per pick. We had 8 teams and 15-man rosters. So 120 picks * 2mins, 4 hours. It didn't last anywhere near that long. I think it was around 2 hours.

Whatever site your league is using, you should login beforehand and pre-rank players, so IF you do have to leave the draft, at least you won't be stuck drafting an injured player if you proper rank them first.

Also I remember with Yahoo I could queue up a few players at a time, so if I know I wanted QB in the next round, I could queue up a QB and 2 alternates, then move on the next round, etc.
kinghill
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby J2thez929 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:37 pm

I'd done some live drafts on Yahoo and they usually run approx an 1 and 30 mins maybe pushing too if you have a big league and guys take a while
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tabmoc72 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:16 pm

Calculations will give you the maximum, but it'll usually take nowhere near that long. We were done in about an hour and 20 minutes with 160 picks.
tabmoc72 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby cementhands » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:47 pm

The other major factor in draft length is, of course, the number of positions you're drafting for. I've seen some leagues bordering on the brink of insanity with 3 starting QB's, 4 RB's, 6 WR's, 4 TE's, 85 D's, 63 bench spots and a partridge in a pair tree. What the heck are these Commish's thinking? I steer clear of these leagues - I like my draft's to be a good time not a long time.
In general if you can spare 2 hours that should do it. Yahoo! leagues give 1.5 minutes to make your picks, but not everyone takes that long (if they do take the full 1:30 every time, they're usually subject to a cornucopia of ridicule and degredation from the other managers - most of it too crude to get into here).
- Shamus, I canna play in th' parade...I swallowed me pipes. -
cementhands
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby FingerDemon » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:57 am

Hey thanks all for the helpful replies. I had to work from home the other night (hours of sitting on a conference call with nothing to do until someone else completed their work). So, I signed up for a Yahoo Live Draft league. As you all have indicated it didn't take more than two hours and my wife never knew I was even doing it. Which is crucial cause while she doesn't mean to, she just can't help interrupting me with anything football related. She thinks I'm not doing anything. Sigh. But I did my draft and got second pick. I took Larry Johnson, although with the holdout going on, I wonder if I shouldn't have gone with Steven Jackson. Oh well, too late now.

The draft was fun but inevitably one league manager was some kid with an obscene team name who wouldn't shut up in the chat room. Man Yahoo needs to implement a mute player option. X-I

So the live draft was cool and as a bonus, I was getting paid for it the whole time. ;-D

Thanks again for the advice.

FD
FingerDemon
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby rholdorf » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:02 am

i have played in previous years but have had difficulty with on-line drafts, as my league consists of players from across the country. any suggestions on the best chat room or forum for conducting an on-line draft?

thanks,

blueblood
rholdorf
Monday Morning Quarterback

Return to Beginner's Forum