Draft Strategy in a large league? (15-20 teams) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Draft Strategy in a large league? (15-20 teams)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft Strategy in a large league? (15-20 teams)

Postby Ahzzy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:56 pm

I'm sorry if this has already been asked and posted somewhere else but does the strategy for drafting in a larger league such as this change from a typical 8-12 team league? My only fantasy football experience came last year in an 8 team league. Do I still want to go RB,RB,WR,WR with my first 4 picks with 15-20 teams involved? Would draft position in such a large league change your strategy? I would think drafting in the top 8 or so, by the time it came back to you again all the tier1-2 RB would be gone and might want to grab a WR with #2 pick instead. Also, does drafting a QB earlier help more in such a big league. Any thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated. Thank-you!

*edit* - It would probably help if I included the positions and scoring involved.
QB,WR,WR,WR,RB,RB,TE,K,DEF,BN,BN,BN,BN,BN

Passing Yards (25 yards per point)
Passing Touchdowns (4)
Interceptions (-1)
Sacks (-1)
Rushing Yards (10 yards per point)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Reception Yards (10 yards per point)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
Return Touchdowns (6)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-2)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (3)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (4)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Sack (1)
Interception (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (4)
Block Kick (3)
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns (6)
Points Allowed 0 points (10)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (7)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (4)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (1)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-4)
Ahzzy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Draft Strategy in a large league? (15-20 teams)

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:35 pm

Given the starting lineup requirement of 2 RB's, the importance of getting two quality RB's is higher in a large league. However, since you also start 3 WR's both positions will be difficult to fill with quality starters. You certainly may want to look at taking WR as your second pick if there is no value to be had at RB. However, don't wait too long to get another RB because the dropoff will be steep after the early 2nd round. What order you get them in may depend, but I think you need to seriously consider having 2 RB's and 2 WR's going into the 5th round.

In my opinion, QB's as a whole move down on my cheatsheet in a large league with your starting lineup requirement. I doubt Carson Palmer will win your league as an early pick, but not taking good RB's and WR's early could cost you. Depending on how your draft goes, you might be able to wait as late as the 6th or 7th, or even later, to pick up a QB. There are some decent QB's that can be had fairly late in my opinion.
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:45 pm

Battlecreek Dragon wrote:Given the starting lineup requirement of 2 RB's, the importance of getting two quality RB's is higher in a large league. However, since you also start 3 WR's both positions will be difficult to fill with quality starters. You certainly may want to look at taking WR as your second pick if there is no value to be had at RB. However, don't wait too long to get another RB because the dropoff will be steep after the early 2nd round. What order you get them in may depend, but I think you need to seriously consider having 2 RB's and 2 WR's going into the 5th round.

In my opinion, QB's as a whole move down on my cheatsheet in a large league with your starting lineup requirement. I doubt Carson Palmer will win your league as an early pick, but not taking good RB's and WR's early could cost you. Depending on how your draft goes, you might be able to wait as late as the 6th or 7th, or even later, to pick up a QB. There are some decent QB's that can be had fairly late in my opinion.

Pretty much agree here. My strategy would be RB, RB, WR, WR, Gates or other top3 TE, QB or 3rd RB if decent one out there, QB or depth..........
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ahzzy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:14 am

Thank you for the replies, my draft is tomorrow and I now have a pretty good idea what I want to do.
Ahzzy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Hines Alou » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:50 pm

I just drafted in a 14 man league, so ill give some insight (even though it doesnt meet your 15-20 requirement).

With mine, I had a middle pick and got a RB, it came back around and I got a stud wideout. For me, with 14, I got a WR in round 3 and then took a chance with a RB (adrian peterson) in the 4th. If you have more than 14 teams though, such as this case, I would take a RB in the third round just to solidify the position. WAIT FOR A QUARTERBACK. Theres no reason to pick a quarterback in the 5th round when you can easily get the same calibur QB in the 9th. I waited and got Cutler in the 10th round in my draft last night. Be patient, and let the players drop to you.
Hines Alou
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Ahzzy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:54 pm

We're up to 16 teams now, and the draft is actually tomorrow, thought it was today. Right now I'm thinking with this many teams its impossible to go into the draft with a strategy to go after a set position each round. I'll have to see where I draft, what's available and adapt to the situation. If i'm drafting late yeah i'll definitely pick up 2 of the top 1/2 tier RB, midle of round a 2nd RB if one is left that is still worthy of a 2nd pick, if not go for a tier1 receiver. If i'm drafting at begining of the round then I'll just have to see what's available to me when it comes back up to my turn.
Ahzzy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby sstoyota » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:13 am

I was in a 16 team league for a few season and here is what I can tell you. Take the best available player when you pick. I would go RB in rd. 1, but after that, take the person that is going to give you the most points. Also, watch the waiver wire daily. The guy that won our league in our first season was 1-4 then picked up Droughns and L.J. off the waiver wire and ran the table. Good Luck.
sstoyota
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Beginner's Forum