Keeper League Trading Issue - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper League Trading Issue

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper League Trading Issue

Postby manzan » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:32 pm

What do ya'll think about this? I'm in a 12 team league where each team can keep up to 4 players (2 max per position) with a penalty of losing a draft position 2 spots higher than the keeper was drafted the year before. At the keeper deadline (which hasn't happened yet), the 4 players kept will remain on the roster with all the rest dumped back out to the free agent pool. Is it right to trade away a player you're not intending to keep for a draft pick? Keep in mind this is before everyone's keepers have been established for this year. Granted they're on the roster (last year's roster) at this moment, but you'd basically be trading away a free agent, as soon as the keeper deadline passes, and add an extra draft pick as a result. Not to mention that the player traded doesn't have to be one of the recipient's keepers....he can still keep his initial 4. Do you think this is ok?
manzan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper League Trading Issue

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:40 pm

I definitely think it is OK to trade players before the keeper deadline. One team may have more quality players than he can keep so why not trade them to someone else in exchange for a draft pick?

Now, if the other team has no intention of keeping the player they get, what is the motivation for the trade? This trade would not be OK if it was just one player for one draft pick because the team giving the draft pick really got nothing in return so there is no exchange of value in my opinion. But I suppose if someone is dumb enough to make a deal like that, you go ahead and let them maybe.
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Peacesells » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:19 am

Ok, we do this in my league. There is only one problem I see with your situation. The team receiving the player in the trade must still only keep a total of 4 players pre-draft. Otherwise you are effectively removing one player from the free agent pool before the draft even starts.

Team A
Keeps 4 plus gets a draft pick and loses his last draft pick.

Team B
Keeps 3 originals plus the player he received in the trade and loses the draft pick he traded which is made up by holding 1 additional draft round at the end to balance the rosters.

Peace
PLEASE RATE MY AUCTION DRAFT. CLICK BELOW.
viewtopic.php?t=340649
Peacesells
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby manzan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:01 am

To be clear, the actual trade is Marion Barber III and a 12th rounder for Rashean Mathis and a 6th rounder. So the guy trading away Barber, can still keep his 4 players, chuck away Mathis if he wants (or hold onto him without impacting his keeper list) and also add an extra 6th rounder. If he holds on to Mathis, he'll end up losing a draft choice 2 spots higher than where he was drafted last year...so if Mathis was drafted last year in the 13th round, Mathis would basically be the guy's 11th round pick this year. If he was added off of the free agent list during last year, he will end up losing an 8th rounder this year. But then again, he doesn't have to hold onto him at all in which he'll just get thrown back into the free agent pool once the keepers are disclosted and still have that extra 6th rounder.
manzan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby manzan » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:38 pm

Any one else care to lend their expertise on this?
manzan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:50 pm

manzan wrote:Any one else care to lend their expertise on this?

This is perfectly fine, IMHO. Unless equal numbers of picks go both ways, just chop off the last pick of the draft.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sir Creep » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:26 am

Of course it's ok, and you know it. You shoulda thought it all through (and anticipated something as elementery as this) before pounding your rules into stone.

Query: What happens if a team trades its #2 overall pick (a keeper) to a team already KEEPING their #1 and #2 overall picks? Hmm?

SC
Sir Creep
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Commissioner's Corner