It is TOO HOT!!! (story about yesterday) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

It is TOO HOT!!! (story about yesterday)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: It is TOO HOT!!! (story about yesterday)

Postby Guru13 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:36 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
houstonherdfan wrote:I agree. as a safety professional in southeast TX, heat stress is a significant issue. From your basic discription of your symptoms, it sounds more like you were on the verge of pssing into heat stroke which is a medical emergency. 50% of all people who get heat stroke die.

yikes, I didn't realize what was going on was that serious, I guess the fact that I almost passed out shoulda been a sign, but I felt so much better after spewing I didn't really think about it...but I swear I stayed as hydrated as I could, water bottle after water bottle. :-?

If you were really drinking that much water, it might have just been a stomach virus of some sort that was worsened by the heat. however, anytime its that hot don't fool around. Get cool, lots of water, and rest. I have had some heat exhaustion before and its not fun stuff. :-P
doubtful, I've had a lot of them and just never throw up, and yes I said I stayed really hydrated, but I sorta lied, I mean, bands played for 30 mins a piece, so every once in a while, I'd go a full half hour without drinking, but we definitely didn't see a band every half hour, we only saw 5 bands on for one of them I was sitting on a hill drinking water, so...actually ya, I probably went a totaly of like 1 1/2 to 2 hours with out drinking, not continously and the reason only that amount of time is becuase for two of the bands we didn't stay for the whole thing...pretty scary stuff now that I'm hearing more about it.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:36 pm

knapplc wrote:First off - reading your story, I thought "is this the return of the Random thread?" Lots of random stuff in there. :-b

Second, do NOT mess around with heat exhaustion. This can be a potentially serious situation and could have lasting effects throughout your life. Stay VERY hydrated all day today and if you feel bad at all you really should see your doctor. I’m not joking at all, so watch yourself.

I hope you feel better! Good luck with that carpet.

Completely agree. I have run a summer park program for the past 8 years. Last year during the last week, I was playing prisonball (much like dodgeball) and stopped. I got really dizzy and blacked out for a sec. I drank 1 QT of water and dumped the other 3 QTS on my head. I was still messed up. I ended up going to the hospital and they gave me some IV fluids, among other things. I ended up going back a few days later when I blacked out in the shower and smashed my head against the wall. In the 1 year since then, I have had some other issues but I am constantly hydrating and taking meds now. My blood pressure is through the roof and no one in my family has ever had issues with that.

I would also recommend drinking more than just water. Something like Gatorade is better.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SJNez46 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:45 am

Lofunzo wrote:
knapplc wrote:First off - reading your story, I thought "is this the return of the Random thread?" Lots of random stuff in there. :-b

Second, do NOT mess around with heat exhaustion. This can be a potentially serious situation and could have lasting effects throughout your life. Stay VERY hydrated all day today and if you feel bad at all you really should see your doctor. I’m not joking at all, so watch yourself.

I hope you feel better! Good luck with that carpet.

Completely agree. I have run a summer park program for the past 8 years. Last year during the last week, I was playing prisonball (much like dodgeball) and stopped. I got really dizzy and blacked out for a sec. I drank 1 QT of water and dumped the other 3 QTS on my head. I was still messed up. I ended up going to the hospital and they gave me some IV fluids, among other things. I ended up going back a few days later when I blacked out in the shower and smashed my head against the wall. In the 1 year since then, I have had some other issues but I am constantly hydrating and taking meds now. My blood pressure is through the roof and no one in my family has ever had issues with that.

I would also recommend drinking more than just water. Something like Gatorade is better.

I passed out in the shower and did the same thing last October. It really stunk. It had something to do with the heat of the shower and my Blood Pressure.
^soty
SJNez46
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby m16a » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:49 am

If you are going to drink a sports drink, drink propel. Its gatorade(basically) in a more water like form and a ton of less sugar. Keeps the good of gatorade and gets rid of the bad. Great stuff. Kiwi strawberry flavor rules ;-D
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 47)

Previous

Return to General Talk