Edge or Caddy, take your pick... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Edge or Caddy, take your pick...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Edge or Caddy, take your pick...

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:09 pm

Edge. Caddy's value has gone up a bit now that Alstott is out of the mix but he has basically been a bust his whole career. Edge on the other hand is in a different situation as last year that should benefit him greatly.

Edge/Chambers. Both have value at where they are being selected.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:30 pm

Definitely Edge. I really see no reason why Caddy would be more productive. Word is that Michael Pittman will take the goal line carries, and Ken Darby has been impressive in camp and could be Caddy's backup.

Edge has produced in the past, and he's guaranteed a certain amount of production. He might lose goal line carries, but I like him a lot more than Caddy at this point.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby woodson_28 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:29 pm

jmog wrote:All of you saying "neither" know that if Caddy or Edge dropped to you in rounds 6+ you'd take it, which is what happened to me. I got Edge in round 6 and Portis in round 7.

hey, same thing happened in my league. Edge and Caddy dropped into the late 5th rd and I took Edge. I read that ARI's new coach is planning a 350+ ball carry offense. Plus, I like the idea of Edge going against STL twice a year. Also, whenever you're in doubt, just look at the teams "fantasy football playoff" stretch. Both play ATL, so wash. So it's SEA and NOR or HOU and SF. IMO SEA and NOR will be the two easier teams. SF is building a pretty good DEF. In short ... Edge is my pick.

Also, Caddy is still on the board in my league at the 3rd pick in rd. 7. 9 of the last 10 picks have been WR ... crazy...

ARI week 14-16
@SEA
@NOR
ATL

TB week 14-16
@HOU
@ATL
SF
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Brianst » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:58 pm

I'll go against the grain here and say Caddy. I got burned by him last year but I think he will turn it around. This is only his 3rd year and he has no competion for his role. Neither does Edge but he is getting on in years and was a workhorse in IND. Time to put him out to pasture!

BTW, glad to here Caddy Edge, and Portis are falling like rocks. Portis a would to have my 3rd back in the 6th round.
Brianst
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby jmog » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:21 pm

TN_Titans_05 wrote:If Edge and Portis were dropping to round 6 or 7 in my leagues I would be questioning the competativness of it rather then who to take. My point was that in the late 2nd through the 3rd(depending on how many teams in the league) if it were between Edge of Caddy I would look elsewhere. There would be other backs abvailable that I would draft instead of them. If either were available in the 4th you would be crazy to pass them up. They are both the starters on their team and that kind of situation is not normally available that late. TO going in the 2nd or 3rd is also dumb and would have me questioning my competators a bit too.

We have a vastly different scoring system than normal, thats why some guys drop. We see 5+ TEs go in the first 2 rounds, 13 TEs gone by the end of the 5th. That's what makes some WRs and TEs drop, not the "competitiveness" of the league.

This league has been together since you had to keep score by pencil and paper and look in the paper on Monday mornings for the stats, its been around for going on 20 years. The league takes applications from people where they have to state how good they've done in other competitive leagues. Our league is the closest to real football as you get. A stud at any position (non kicker) can make just as much of a difference as a stud at RB. Gates is just as good in our league as LJ and SJax, matter of fact Gates goes 2nd or 3rd in each of the last couple years.

In the last 8 years there have been 2 QBs, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, and 2 TEs lead the league in scoring, the scoring system is designed so that someone picking 10th isn't screwed compared to someone picking 1st, because they could get the best WR and probably 2nd or 3rd best TE while the guy picking first, while getting LT, is stuck picking from 2nd tier at any and all positions.

It also makes our drafts much MUCH more interesting than typical fantasy football drafts. In a typical 10 team league you see 9 RBs going in the first round with Peyton making out the 10th.

In ours you see about 5 or 6 RBs in the 1st, 2 or 3 TEs, 1 QB, and 1 or 2 WRs. The 2nd round can get even more interesting. 1 year it was nearly all TEs and WRs (about 5 of each) and this year it was 1 QB, 3 RBs, 3 WRs, 3 TEs.

Much much more thought has to go into our draft than a typical draft, because you never know what is going to happen. In a regular draft if you are picking 9th, you know you are going to be picking 1 of 2 players, in ours besides the top 2 or 3 guys, everyone else could fall to #9.
jmog
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 25)

Previous

Return to Football Talk